Jamie Oliver

forum: Campaigns and Community

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Fri 20 Apr 07 1:02pm

BecColls

Member since Fri 20 Apr 07

cheap foreign meat in school dinners

Hi,

Does anybody know anything about where the chicken and other meat comes from that's in school dinners? I read somewhere that most of it comes from abroad, even places like Thailand??

Is anybody else worried about this? Where does the stuff come from? I don't want to stop my son eating it but i hate thinking of him eating it as well!

Becky

Last edited by BecColls (Fri 20 Apr 07 1:02pm)

Likes (0)

#2 Sat 21 Apr 07 2:23pm

Arthur

From Hampshire
Member since Thu 09 Jun 05

Re: cheap foreign meat in school dinners

Do not why you are wooried about chickens from Thailand- Thailand is the only Country free from the bird flu virus. Britain, allegely, has the worst record on chicken rearing, than anywhere else- factory farming, large uncomfortable sheds- so say the media- and apparently organic chickens are bred from factory farmed eggs. Many schools do not have chicken on the menu or at least very infrequent.

I would not worry about waht is the the school meal- this is so regulated and controlled to meet strict health and nutritional standards.

Arthur.

Likes (0)

#3 Sat 21 Apr 07 6:08pm

Cindy

Forum champ
Occupation Registered Nurse
From Adelaide, OZ
Member since Tue 03 Aug 04

Well, if the kids are fed beef from overseas they are practically guaranteed it wont contain BSE.

Arthur - Australia and New Zealand are also free of the birdflu virus as well as BSE.

Likes (0)

#4 Sun 22 Apr 07 11:44pm

Arran

Member since Mon 26 Jun 06

Yes it's true that schools serve meat from outside of Britain and the EU on the grounds that it is cheaper. Often it is difficult for LEAs to negotiate a British supplier due to cost being such an important issue.

Likes (0)