forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sat 21 Apr 07 5:29pm

sweetie-pie

From England
Member since Sun 01 Jan 06

Risotto - can you freeze it

Hi,

Does anyone know whether you can freeze risotto? I'm using Jamie's recipe to make the first stage of the basic risotto before adding any extra ingredients. I was wondering if I could make a big batch, and then freeze portions of it to make different risottos - there's only two people in our house, and I find risotto works better when you make it in slightly larger batches.

SP

Likes (0)

#2 Sun 22 Apr 07 10:38am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Re: Risotto - can you freeze it

You can but it loses it's texture and feels spongy. It's edible but not nice. I tend to make risotto for 4 and then have the leftovers for lunch the next day.

Likes (0)

#3 Sun 22 Apr 07 12:53pm

sweetie-pie

From England

Thanks White Rabbit!

SP

Likes (0)

#4 Sun 22 Apr 07 1:42pm

Set

Member since Sat 14 Apr 07

There's another technique that u can do, and the texture would still be the same. Start the normal way frying onions, adding the rice, add and reduce white wine then add enuff stock to cover the rice reduce it then...u can put it on a tray. Then wait for it to cool down before put it into plastic bag and put it in the fridge, not the freezer...this will keep for 2-3 days before the grain loses it capability to be al dente

then when u want to use it...bring stock to a boil then add the rice and then finish cooking it until al dente

Hope that helps smile

Likes (0)

#5 Sun 22 Apr 07 2:01pm

Dave Barker

Forum champ
Occupation Chef
From At the stove...
Member since Tue 29 Jun 04

Thats pretty much how they did it at the last restaurant that I worked at Set!

Likes (0)

#6 Sun 22 Apr 07 6:38pm

sweetie-pie

From England

Thanks - good tips! I made Jamie's asparagus, lemon & mint risotto for lunch today - tbh, I don't think the leftovers are going to last, it was so yummy, I just keep eating it straight from the fridge  oops

SP

Likes (0)

#7 Sun 22 Apr 07 7:14pm

Mrs Gibba

Forum champ
Member since Thu 14 Apr 05

just beware about eating it for breakfast!  lol

Likes (0)

#8 Sun 22 Apr 07 11:04pm

little Patty

Member since Wed 10 Jan 07

Nooooooo! puke  puke

Possibly I am too fussy about my food, but my taste buds rule above my stomach.

No freezing of risotto. freeze the veggie base and freeze the stock if you must (i never do) but not the risotto. It just tastes different, a bit like microwaved food (here is another subject...).

Dave, I am sorry to hear that they did that in a restaurant, but they also half boil pasta in restaurants, and do similar 'convinient' stuff.
sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

I must stop now, I feel like a food nazi!

bye
smile
little Patty

Likes (0)

#9 Mon 23 Apr 07 12:14am

Dave Barker

Forum champ
Occupation Chef
From At the stove...
Member since Tue 29 Jun 04

In the case of that restaurant they half cooked the risotto then blast chilled it to make a white risotto base for service because there was no other way to serve the amount of covers that we were serving with fresh risotto, each portion made to order... to be honest, it turned out ok... it was made for service that day though, it wasn't kept overnight!

Bear in mind that was a 2 rosette restaurant and this is how some of the good restaurants do it! ... a friend of mine who is a chef that works for a branded chain restaurant has told me of boil in the bag risotto!!! puke

I started working in one place where the pasta/risotto chef made every risotto fresh per order... but his methods of doing a quick-cheat risotto ended up with an almost inedible rice slop... so a lot has to be said for the half cook chill fast method! although for me it isn't ideal... if the end result is good then its not so bad I suppose!

In other restaurants that I have worked,it has all been fresh prepared per order. but those restaurants served far less covers and the clientelle knew that it was all freshly prepared and expected a half hour wait!

In short, I suppose that I see risotto as a dish that cant-and shouldnt be rushed, or cheated... for good results, dont cheat... spend 20 mins putting some love into the dish... it will more than pay you back in the final taste and texture...

Tell the customer that the dish is freshly made per order, and they must allow a 20 min wait for the mains, but for a short wait they will be happy that they did!

As for the pasta thing... In all restaurants that I work in now, I end up insisting that we make fresh pasta each day, I usualy end up making most of it myself!!! and the head chefs that I work for are happy for me to do that, so there is no half cooking pasta because we don't need to! fresh pasta takes seconds to cook...

Last edited by DB27 (Mon 23 Apr 07 12:39am)

Likes (0)

#10 Mon 23 Apr 07 12:00pm

Set

Member since Sat 14 Apr 07

hmm well dave :P thats how they did it in the restaurant i work at during the summer when there's no school big_smile  however...my teacher who used to ran a restaurant in america claimed that he parboils his pasta...oils them (something u shouldnt do)and chill...he claimed that when u boil them again, the oil gets washed off so it is still capable of absorbing all da lovely sauce but idk, nvr tried lol

Likes (0)