Jamie Oliver

forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Mon 23 Apr 07 7:18am

Beautiful BC

Forum champ
From British Columbia, Canada
Member since Wed 04 May 05

Fellow Canadians....your favourite olive oil?

I am always intrigued by "using a good extra virgin olive oil" because where you live can limit your access to good quality. 

So I am wondering from my fellow Canadians:  Which brand(s) of olive oil(s) available in Canada do you feel are the best?

I have been using Spectrum brand Organic extra virgin olive oil and it seems pretty good.  This is the only organic brand I have been able to find.   hmm   I've also tried a couple other brands which unfortunately have already gone to recycling and I've forgotten their names.  oops

I live in a smaller city, and find that my choices are limited.  I thought I could see if a particular brand is more popular in Canada and I can experiment from other's advice!

Likes (0)

#2 Mon 23 Apr 07 3:43pm

bcrain

Forum champ
Occupation Duty Free Lancome and Fragrance sales
From Greater Vancouver
Member since Mon 23 Oct 06

Re: Fellow Canadians....your favourite olive oil?

I don't normally get organic olive oil. But I do buy extra virgin and olive oil.

Do you have a Save- On or a Safeway near you? They both have an organic section and you should find a decent one there. I know IGA has one too. I think everyone has an organic section now a days. The choice may be limited though. Do you have a Costco membership? I usually buy their olive oil, it's really good, IMO. Another place you can try out is Superstore or even Extra Foods, they might have something, it's worth a check if you haven't done so already.

I live in a small town too so I know what it's like trying to source out decent quality items. But good luck!

Likes (0)

#3 Tue 24 Apr 07 5:06am

Beautiful BC

Forum champ

Thanks for your input bcrain.  We have Save-On, Safeway, Superstore and Extra Foods.  Overall I'm content with the Spectrum Organic, but didn't know if I was missing out on a great hidden olive oil on the Canadian shelves!  wink

Likes (0)

#4 Tue 24 Apr 07 5:02pm

WolfRune

Occupation Tech Support Guru
From Toronto, Canada
Member since Mon 11 Sep 06

The President's Choice stuff is ok, but rather overpriced IMO.  I usually go with Colavita; The flavour is decent, and it's reasonably priced.

Likes (0)

#5 Tue 24 Apr 07 11:33pm

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

My favourite on local supermarket shelves is Carapelli . I find the PC extra virgin has a slight bitter edge. There is an italian specialty store in kitchener that sells it bulk. You fill it from a stainless steel keglike thing with a spigot on the bottom.. It is really good too, unfiltered first cold press.

Only a fool argues with a skunk, a mule or a cook.  { cowboy saying}
    Likes (0)

#6 Wed 25 Apr 07 1:32am

StaceyB

Occupation Mom
From Canada
Member since Thu 18 Jan 07

Try Winners if you have one around. They usually have a little gourmet section with well-priced oils in with the kitchen supplies.

Likes (0)

#7 Wed 25 Apr 07 9:39pm

bcrain

Forum champ
Occupation Duty Free Lancome and Fragrance sales
From Greater Vancouver
Member since Mon 23 Oct 06

Or HomeSense, lol, I love going there!

I should give Spectrum a try.

Likes (0)

#8 Thu 26 Apr 07 12:11am

Beautiful BC

Forum champ

WolfRune....haven't seen Colavita before.  Will keep an eye out for it when travelling though.  Ashen..likewise for Carapelli.  The Italian specialty store sounds neat!  I've never seen olive oil sold in bulk like that......one day I'll get to Italy and really spoil myself!

No HomeSense and no Winners.  I'll probably stick to the Spectrum Organic, but when I travel I'll hunt down the others to try.

Thanks everyone for your input!

Likes (0)

#9 Thu 26 Apr 07 5:59pm

mercedes

Forum champ
Occupation Save a tree, eat a Beaver
From the boonies
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Ashen I agree with the Carapelli--I find it cheap enough to use everyday!

I hate the Pc range of oils but I do enjoy thier flavoured balsamics in salads---The fig one is great!

As for the homesense--thats where I've found avocado oil--yummy!

Likes (0)

#10 Thu 26 Apr 07 11:19pm

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

mercs.  i am still trying to convince myself i need a 300 ml bottle of pistachio oil for $25 .    just out of curiosity approx. how much did the avocado oil go for?

Only a fool argues with a skunk, a mule or a cook.  { cowboy saying}
    Likes (0)