forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#21 Mon 30 Apr 07 2:36pm

ZORZOU

Forum champ
Occupation STAYING AWAKE BECAUSE OF MY SECOND BABY!!
From ATHENS - HELLAS
Member since Sun 15 Oct 06

Re: Using onliy English in posts..

http://forum.jamieoliver.com/viewtopic. … 3&p=92

I think that the post of Nigella Clarissa gave a start to Maree to create this thread.

I believe that most agree that it's not a problem to speak as we wish as long as noone is offended. 

It's an international site and I feel excited everytime I meet a person from every corner of the world.  I have made email-pals through this site.  And of course you can understand our surprise to meet next door friends through an English site???!!!

Many many kisses to all=
Polla polla filakia se olous!!!

Likes (0)

#22 Mon 30 Apr 07 2:55pm

Senga B

Occupation Taxi driver, nurse,cook, cleaner-in other words MUM
From Malta
Member since Wed 14 Mar 07

If I could write my language..Maltese.. I would write it ,thing is ,I wouldn't  be able to converse with any one else as I've only ever come across one other "Malteser" lol  I would just like to add that I do have a very fat centre thumbsup

Likes (0)

#23 Mon 30 Apr 07 5:53pm

Anna

Forum champ
From Switzerland
Member since Fri 15 Apr 05

There have been a number of cases when people have posted asking for translations of ingredients and technical terms, and they've always been replied to.  There are quite a few of us on here who post in English but speak German (Susanne, LadyRed, myself); as well as a decent number of Greek and Italian speakers... 

On a completely different note, to everyone living in the German speaking areas, do you have trouble buying parsnips?  My mother rang me the other day to ask if I'd ever even seen them in Switzerland, and to be honest I don't think I have.  At least not in supermarkets.   hmm

Likes (0)

#24 Mon 30 Apr 07 8:01pm

abdullahcohn

Forum champ
Occupation Occupied
From My House
Member since Fri 11 Nov 05

Pastinake sind schwierig, in England zu finden.

Likes (0)

#25 Mon 30 Apr 07 8:06pm

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany
Member since Mon 13 Mar 06

Anna,
parsnips ("Pastinaken" - speaking of using German for clarification wink ) are not usually available in German supermarkets, but I get them easily at the weekly markets, organic food stores and I assume you would get them at the green grocer, too.
I usually grab them on the market when I want parsnips.

Likes (0)

#26 Mon 30 Apr 07 8:16pm

abdullahcohn

Forum champ
Occupation Occupied
From My House

Ich erhalte meine von Safeways.

Likes (0)

#27 Mon 30 Apr 07 8:38pm

karetringula

From switzerland
Member since Tue 15 Nov 05

Hi Anna and all,
do you remember?I wasn't in the forum for weeks or even months.When I was,I had some conversation with Anna and even some in German or Swiss-German.And I was glad for this possibility,because there were many food terms I couldn't understand or wasn't sure about.And as she speaks  also my language I was sure to get the correct answer by discussing in German.
E.g. we talked about difference between some kinds of sugar and their English/German names,that's quite easier in mother tongue.
But the main reason I join this forum is(except my interest in cooking and food and Jamies ideas)is to improve my english!
And thanks to Anna I learned a lot,like "bless his socks" lol

Likes (0)

#28 Mon 30 Apr 07 8:40pm

karetringula

From switzerland

Are there really no pastinaken in Migros?I'll tell you when I was there the next time.....

Likes (0)

#29 Mon 30 Apr 07 9:05pm

abdullahcohn

Forum champ
Occupation Occupied
From My House

Ich bin von Berlin

Likes (0)

#30 Mon 30 Apr 07 9:17pm

karetringula

From switzerland

really?I mean your language is not really German,is it?

Likes (0)