forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Tue 01 May 07 4:15pm

gramma julie

From Southwestern Ontario
Member since Fri 16 Jul 04

Fresh Bay Leaves - how to?

Purchased a package of fresh bay leaves yesterday and now am wondering how to store them, how long will they stay good, etc.? I've never had fresh before, only dry.

Likes (0)

#2 Tue 01 May 07 6:55pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Re: Fresh Bay Leaves - how to?

Fresh Bay Leaves will start to dryout very quickly after they have been picked.
I have never tried it but why don't you put them in the fridge salad tray to help slow down the drying process.
I am very lucky ,I am able to pick fresh bay leaves as I need them as I have a bay tree growing in a very large pot by my frount door.

Likes (0)

#3 Tue 01 May 07 10:10pm

French_vanilla

Forum champ
Occupation Secretary
From Dublin - Ireland
Member since Sun 01 Apr 07

Hi Julie/Mummza,

Dad has a bay tree as well in the back garden so when I go over, I always bring back loads of bay leaves but I let them dry first... (they go dry quite fast you're right...).... then again, mum puts them on one of the shelves in the laundry room... with the heater next to them!

French_vanilla

Likes (0)

#4 Wed 02 May 07 7:04am

gramma julie

Looks like I'll have to lay them on a tray and let them dry, and then store them. Thanks Mummza and French_vanilla. I wished I could have a bay tree in our patio.

Likes (0)

#5 Wed 02 May 07 9:39am

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

Why not plant a bay tree? We have one in a large pot that lives outside in summer. and in the porch in winter. They are quite hardy, evergreen, small and decorative (a friend uses a bay tree instead of a Christmas tree smile

Likes (0)

#6 Wed 02 May 07 9:43am

LadyRed

Forum champ
From Vienna, Austria
Member since Wed 18 Aug 04

Best option is probably to get a bay tree. I've got a small one on the windowsill which grows like mad.

Before I had that I often got a big bag of fresh ones from a friend when she pruned  hers. I found freezing them works fine and I like the taste better then the dried ones.

Likes (0)

#7 Wed 02 May 07 11:07am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

freeze them, i have a number of them frozen in zip lock bags.

Likes (0)

#8 Wed 02 May 07 3:53pm

gramma julie

We'll be visiting a lot of garden centres in the next few weeks as our weather is getting warm now and time for planting annuals. I'm going to look in to getting a bay tree that can be outside in the summer and come in for the winter. Didn't know how big they are, but if you have one on your windowsill LadyRed, I'm going to try and get one. smile

Likes (0)

#9 Wed 02 May 07 4:09pm

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

Mines currently about 3 ft high - we've had it for 2 years.

If you pick your leaves carefully, and prune occasionally, it can go quite bushy but remain small. If you leave it unpruned, it will grow into a large tree.

Likes (0)

#10 Wed 02 May 07 5:38pm

LadyRed

Forum champ
From Vienna, Austria
Member since Wed 18 Aug 04

Mine is about  40 cm high and very bushy, but I prune it regularly. It likes it's warm spot on the southfacing window  big_smile

Likes (0)