forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Wed 09 May 07 3:08pm

Justin Zack

Occupation Student Chef
From Malaysia (Kuala Lumpur)
Member since Mon 13 Mar 06

Is the kitchen full of angry people?

hahaha as you all know the kitchen can get a bit err hot? you know what i mean. How do newbies cope with the "shock" of being yelled at daily. hahaha. How many people came out the kitchen after working for a couple of years tend to become more angry? hahah pls do tell.

p/s they should put this type of stuff in my text book HAHA big_smile

Likes (0)

#2 Thu 10 May 07 3:01pm

SonomaEddie

Forum super champ
Occupation Chief cook and bottle washer
From Northern California
Member since Sat 10 Feb 07

Re: Is the kitchen full of angry people?

I guess you just have to let alot of it run off your back like water on a duck.  Restaurant work is stressful enough but then things don't go right and maybe you get some strong personalities that clash.  Too many divas!
It's not the happy family kitchen for sure.  But like I said, you have to let alot of that stuff go and don't worry about it.  You just can't take it personally.
Eddie (Who hasn't worked in a kitchen in years but can still picture one particular manager whom he would have liked to give a dunk in the fryer!)

Likes (0)

#3 Thu 10 May 07 6:31pm

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

If this newbie (2 months today) let the "heat" get to her in "this" kitchen, she would have turned in her membership after/before the first week was up.

As both previous posters have said "like water off a duck". My age plus having to (in my previous lives) having to cope with hospital and university bureaucrats is good training for this, not to mention a 31yr old relationship and young adult off-spring. Glad at times I work for myself and by myself. Saves "kitchen dramas"- except when people invade my workspace (the family kitchen) when I am trying to work. Anthony Bourdain (the one within me) simmers at the surface and occasionally boils over. Have yet to get to get to the scenarios he describes. But, you mean-spirited lot (family) when I am cooking "my" Mothers' Day three course dinner of "your" favourites, including roast beef with all the trimmings, if you come near the kitchen, unless requested, to move roasting pans and later to carve, the Bourdain within will bubble over. Be warned! Not that you'd read this, anyway.

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#4 Thu 10 May 07 8:16pm

French_vanilla

Forum champ
Occupation Secretary
From Dublin - Ireland
Member since Sun 01 Apr 07

Same here... Ok in the kitchen as long as I am alone in the kitchen....

Get the message Mother-in-Law Dearest?! It ended once with me swearing in French in the Kitchen and a freeked out boyfriend who was in the next room came to the rescue pronto to "remove" his mother from MY kitchen before I exploded! It was a real "Health & safety" issue that day, let me tell you!!  evil  evil  evil

French_vanilla

Likes (0)

#5 Thu 10 May 07 9:36pm

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Bonjour, Vanilla,

Are we twins separated at birth? My father's mother was French but she died the month before they married- knew it was going to happen- wanted them to go through with the wedding.

My mother's mother was from Belfast- came here in 1913- for a holiday as she was "sickly" (put into "service" the minute she got off the boat)- killed in a car accident just before her 95th birthday. Outlived all the b******ds!

My Dad's Maman's name was Marie-Helene. To give it an Irish twist, I ended up with Maree Eileen (which I loathe).

I went to a State school and studied both French and German for six years. I still can understand written and spoken French (had friends in Noumea, New Caledonie who are restauranteurs and hoteliers and did some time working at the old Club Med as the nurse). Almost ran "away" to there but since I was married to a non-French person, visa problems). My spoken French is Franglais- don't get the chance to speak it often enough. Do (to family's horror when go to a "real" French restaurant). I refuse to speak English if the staff are French. "Use it or lose it" is my motto.

German was always my third language. Found it, even at school, much more difficult than French... Sentence structure etc. Still, I can still ask directions, negotiate a place to sleep, order a meal and deal with "the pleasantries" of life.

So, I said I went to a State school. Learnt to swear like a trooper in French which was later helped by me helping out in my friends' restaurants and hotels in NC. My daughter went to a private (here)/public (UK) school. Though she came in the top 10 in the State for French and is in the top class at uni in her Law/International Studies, would be lucky to know m***e. Don't know what they teach at these places but she speaks English in the restaurants.

Our kitchen is small and planned by someone (true) who thought that heating up a pack of crisps was a vegetable serve! I have one metre long x 3/4m wide of useable bench space. Every mm is precious. I live with a family of "grazers" and a dog basket in the centre. There are 3 doors into "my space". It does become an Occupational Health and Safety" issue with the constant passage of people and dog in and out and my raising blood pressure.

Don't get me wrong, I've had my kids "working" along side of me in the kitchen from high chair stage, to standing on a stool to just standing helping with prep and me drumming into their heads once they were old enough, the importance of mis en place and cleaning up as you go.My son often offers to cook. My daughter thinks she'll live on sushi or marry someone rich enough to have his/their own cook (The Cinderella Syndrome). She'll learn.

It's the constant "in and out", pearing into the fridge, making snacks (on my precious bench space), failing to put away-which I do- and 10mins later it's all out again) that drives me nuts.

C'est la vie!

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#6 Thu 10 May 07 10:52pm

Alex G

Forum champ
Occupation Student/Commis chef
From Brighton/ Bournemouth
Member since Sat 29 Oct 05

I quit.

LOL. OK, that might not be the reason I quit, but it was quite annoying, luckily the head chef was a genuinly nice bloke so you could tell that it was more motivational than just wanting to shout *** at us.

Likes (0)

#7 Fri 11 May 07 4:31am

Justin Zack

Occupation Student Chef
From Malaysia (Kuala Lumpur)
Member since Mon 13 Mar 06

one word......... dAMNNN!

Likes (0)

#8 Fri 11 May 07 5:18am

shammrok

Forum super champ
Occupation Growing things
From Up the garden path...Tasmania
Member since Thu 02 Sep 04

Hi Maree,

Your kitchen sounds like mine.....I call it  "The Revolving door Restaurant".

Don't have dogs or cats inside when I am cooking. Dog hair is quite unattractive in a meal. lol

I have my space in my kitchen and everyone knows that... RESPECT!

I take my hat off to those who daily endure the rigours of a demanding kitchen.

Shammy

smile

Likes (0)

#9 Fri 11 May 07 12:14pm

frizz1974

Forum super champ
Occupation Mother of 2 working more than full time
From Wallerawang, Oz
Member since Wed 29 Jun 05

Years ago working in a big inner city hotel, we had a South American Food Festival that really put the pressure on... sooo busy. Everyone ended up doing doubles as the casuals couldnt take it.

Walking back into my office from a room service call, I narrowly missed being stabbed by a flying carving knife!!!! shocked  shocked  shocked

The sous (sp) chef had lost it & threw a knife at the bin (outside my door) It was a near miss I tell you. An apprentice had just wasted about $100.00 worth of avocadoes by misreading directions for a soup recipe. (needed for that night, set menu so no alternative available)

Poor man just snapped.

I can lol  now.

Likes (0)