forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Thu 24 May 07 7:06am

gramma julie

From Southwestern Ontario
Member since Fri 16 Jul 04

Lasagne without tomato sauce

Need some ideas - went out with hubby for dinner tonight and he had lasagne which was one of the specials. It was quite different from any I've made in the past and when he offered a taste, I really liked it. The meat sauce was really delicious and almost like a meatloaf taste, but had no tomato sauce. It was layered with lots of noodles and cheese. Any ideas so I could give it a try would be appreciated. help

Likes (0)

#2 Thu 24 May 07 11:21am

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany
Member since Mon 13 Mar 06

Re: Lasagne without tomato sauce

Hi Julie,
The only lasagne I know that doesn't have tomato sauce uses bechamel sauce (and salmon and spinach instead of the meat).
But I would imagine that without any veggies that would be to heavy....

Likes (0)

#3 Thu 24 May 07 1:53pm

Anna

Forum champ
From Switzerland
Member since Fri 15 Apr 05

Was it like a pastitsio?  It's a 'Greek lasagna' made using macaroni, bechamel and cinnamon or nutmeg.

Likes (0)

#4 Thu 24 May 07 2:32pm

luckgirl

Occupation shopgirl
From Italy
Member since Thu 24 May 07

Hi i post ragu souce for lasagne if you want try it. is very good for lasagne add besciamella in all layer is very easy to cook!! tongue  or there is lasagne with pesto.

Likes (0)

#5 Thu 24 May 07 3:16pm

SonomaEddie

Forum super champ
Occupation Chief cook and bottle washer
From Northern California
Member since Sat 10 Feb 07

There is also a good artichoke lasagna which uses bechamel, butter and parmagianno reggiano for the sauce.
Eddie

Likes (0)

#6 Thu 24 May 07 8:31pm

gramma julie

From Southwestern Ontario
Member since Fri 16 Jul 04

This lasagne had a meatsauce, so I'm wondering about the Greek lasagne Anna and/or the Ragu sauce luckgirl. Can you post the recipes please? crossed  big_smile

Likes (0)

#7 Thu 24 May 07 9:03pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Gamma Julie, I would imagine that it was the difference with the 'meat sauce' together with the texture of the noodles that made the difference.

I was feeling a bit lazy one day and used some spagetti that I had as leftovers for the pasta layer of a veggie lasagne..it was good .but I havn't made it since lol

When I make a meat sauce for lasagne I start by lightly cooking off some finely chopped onions, to this I add very lean beef mince and garic slivvers ( I generally use beef in lasagne ) I stir this about gently for a few moments and then I add some red wine ( A genorous amount oops),some passata, mixed herbs , a tiny bit of sugar, a little salt and a good grind of pepper. ...and that is basically what I do for a simple sauce. I cook it gently until the it is well cooked and the liquid reduced reasonably.

towards the end of the meat cooking I will make a good quantity of Bachamell ( white sauce), I have it lightly seasoned and add some fresh grated nutmeg.

I always use freshly made lasagne sheets as that is what my family like the best.
I start off by putting a small layer of bachamell sauce into the dish and then I top this with a layer of the meat sauce ( over the years I have found that it works better with a little white sauce first), on top of the meat I will then put a layer of pasta, a generous grateing of parmasan cheese , more meat, more white sauce, more parmasan, pasta..
and I just repaet the layers in that order finishing off with a layer of pasta covered with white sauce and a good sprinkle of parmasan, light grate of nutmeg.
then bake.

Likes (0)

#8 Thu 24 May 07 11:05pm

Anna

Forum champ
From Switzerland
Member since Fri 15 Apr 05

I've never made it myself, but I do love eating it at our local Greek restaurant!  There are quite a few Greek members of this forum, so maybe one of them will post an authentic recipe...?

Likes (0)

#9 Fri 25 May 07 12:48am

froso

Member since Thu 22 Mar 07

Do you want a recipe for Lazagne or for Pastitsio because it's something quite 
different. Pastitsio has a meet sauce (similar to the one that is used in Bologneze). You just mix the sauce with the spaghetti in an shallow baking-tin
and put them in the oven with Besciamella on top.     question

Likes (0)

#10 Fri 25 May 07 1:20pm

luckgirl

Occupation shopgirl
From Italy
Member since Thu 24 May 07

Hi i add my reipe..

But first for all in Italy and in particular in Bologna we not cook spaghetti alla bolognese (is a recipe for turist isn't the typical) the TYPICAL OF BOLOGNA AND ITALY ARE TAGLIATELLE WITH RAGU ALLA BOLOGNESE. I write it because if a day you are in Italy you can choose the best wink

Ragu souce from Bologna!!Traditional recipe.

Ingredient for 6 people:
500 gr. beef of pork mince
50 gr. butter
100 gr pancetta
1 onion
1 carrot
2 part of celery
1 clove
1 glass of beef broth
1 tablespoon of tomato paste
salt
pepper

Mince the onion, the carrot,  the celery and pancetta(you must cut very little pieces). Put the butter in a pot with the carrot, onion, pancetta and celery (is name soffritto) medium flame when the vegetable have a beautifull bronzed color add the broth, the tomato paste, the clove, the tomato paste, salt and pepper.Cover the beef with water and cook for one hour sometime mix with a tablespoon.

Now you have a fantastic souce for tagliatelle, lasagne and cannelloni

Sorry for my enghlish i hope you like it.

Likes (0)