forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#21 Wed 30 May 07 6:11pm

mutiny

From Melbourne
Member since Mon 30 Apr 07

Re: Risotto....wtf?

sadie - if that were the case then why dont you know what region of italy this method comes from? either you're a bad italian cook, havent done your research properly, or just spouting off crap. Just because you cook Italian cuisine doesnt mean that you know everything about italian dishes. Im sure there are many variations of risotto, but i said a *true* risotto. for example, in theory, i could grab some fish, cook some arborio, mix it up and put it into moulds for "risotto fish cakes". essentially, the rice could be prepared exactly the same as normal, but its still not a *true* risotto, is it? no, its like... ricey fish cakes. baked rice isnt risotto anymore. doesnt matter if its arborio or any rice typically used for risotto - its still not the same.

Also, when i said stir constantly, i didnt mean that for the WHOLE time you're full on goin at it. other things can be done in between stirring in the fresh ladle of stock. but, as a general rule, a fair bit of stirring and attention is required.

Likes (0)

#22 Thu 31 May 07 3:05pm

Anna

Forum champ
From Switzerland
Member since Fri 15 Apr 05

Hang on, you're contradicting yourself and having a go at Sadie for saying exactly what you're saying now, too!  She said it doesn't have to be sitrred constantly, which is correct.  You're saying so yourself! 

Don't have a go at active and established members of this community unless you have a valid point to make, which is clearly not the case.

Last edited by Anna (Thu 31 May 07 3:08pm)

Likes (0)

#23 Thu 31 May 07 4:00pm

bcrain

Forum champ
Occupation Duty Free Lancome and Fragrance sales
From Greater Vancouver
Member since Mon 23 Oct 06

When making risotto is the point of stirring all the time to make it creamy or is it the type of rice that you are using i.e arborio that makes it creamy?

Likes (0)

#24 Thu 31 May 07 4:16pm

Cindy

Forum champ
Occupation Registered Nurse
From Adelaide, OZ
Member since Tue 03 Aug 04

Mutiny - I do not cook italian 'cuisine' (a french word). Much Italian 'cuisine' is cooked by poncey 'cheffy' types (jaime excepted) who have possibly never actually set foot in an Italian families kitchen.

I cook italian food that I was taught by my friends Italian mothers and grandmothers while hanging around in their kitchens from when I was a youngster. We didn't ask where they immigrated from - we just learned to cook the food and enjoyed eating it. I also learned a little bit of Italian (now forgotten) as my friends grandmothers spoke very little english and we all communicated through food.

-------

Bcrain - it is the rice itself that makes it creamy - when the liquid is added the rice grain releases its starches etc which 'sucks up' the liquid and softens the core of the grain enabling the starches to soften and expand and the liquid thickens.

This is why if you keep the heat very low and add the hot liquids and barely stir, you will still get the same result as when you are doing a lot of stirring.

Possibly not explained very well, but that is the basics of it.

Last edited by sadie-hoshi (Thu 31 May 07 4:21pm)

Likes (0)

#25 Thu 31 May 07 5:12pm

mutiny

From Melbourne

sorry anna, but you're mistaken. sadie said that you dont have to stir it at all.  im saying that risotto HAS to be stirred (and quite often). When i said not CONSTANTLY, i meant like... 1-2 min break while doing something else perhaps, not like... 15 mins.

Just because shes posted a lot makes no difference to me. Im happy for her, but she doesnt get any supreme respect that i wouldnt give to anyone else.

Ive got a question for you... If i was to say that i AM Italian, that i live with my Italian mother and grandmother, told them what you told me, and they said you were wrong and that a true risotto has to be stirred all the time... would that change the way you see it? I wouldnt bet on it. Difference in opinion is very wide spread. Even in their own country Italians cant agree on how something should be done. Then you start to argue "what is a *true* risotto" blah blah.

Likes (0)

#26 Thu 31 May 07 8:34pm

bcrain

Forum champ
Occupation Duty Free Lancome and Fragrance sales
From Greater Vancouver
Member since Mon 23 Oct 06

Thanks Sadie, you explained it very well smile

Likes (0)

#27 Fri 01 Jun 07 12:47am

Cindy

Forum champ
Occupation Registered Nurse
From Adelaide, OZ
Member since Tue 03 Aug 04

sadie-hoshi wrote:

...FWIW there is another method of making risotto which doesn't reqire stirring. A friend of mines mother doesn't stir as she says stirring breaks up the rice or something.

Mutiny - I said there is another method, less well known, but it is another method.

I have also seen other Chefs, Italian and otherwise using it. Most recently Ian Hewittson had a guest Italian chef make a pumpkin risotto using this no stir method - and stated what nonna always told us.

I am about to go out so will add to this later.

Likes (0)

#28 Fri 01 Jun 07 4:39am

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

I have heard of a 6 min variation using a pressure cooker, although i have never tried it... supposedly it has the creamyness and firm grains of the traditional stirred risotto..   the basic changes for a risotto recipe to work in a pressure cooker are 2 times broth to rice instead of approx 3 times for stirred.  Plus you add the flavourings and extras..eg shrimp/peas etc after the basic rice comes out of the cooker.

Mutiny .. from how i read the posts in the Thread you were the only one that was worried about "TRUE" risotto.  If it is an italian rice {Carnaroli ,arborio ,Vialone nano} and has been toasted before adding the stock i would say it is risotto..   IF it is  baked it may not have a texture i would like but bad risotto is still risotto.. Unlike these pilaf dishes ppl try to pass off as risotto  puke

The Universe is alive and self aware. 
Need proof?
Look in a mirror.
    Likes (0)

#29 Fri 01 Jun 07 6:17am

frizz1974

Forum super champ
Occupation Mother of 2 working more than full time
From Wallerawang, Oz
Member since Wed 29 Jun 05

Hi Ashen,

Yes ihave a cook book, that is focused on rice. It has pilaf dishes in them, layered rice, sauce & meats in them... really awful, will probably  never make another attempt puke

Well to really stir the pot (so to speak) I have seen microwave risotto recipes, where the micro is stopped every 5 minutes to add another ladle of stock & give it a quick stir before returning for another 5 minute burst. thumbsup

Likes (0)

#30 Fri 01 Jun 07 5:36pm

mutiny

From Melbourne

yes ashen, i was worried about "true" risotto - that was the whole argument  wink

just because a rice primarily used for risotto is toasted before its had stock added, does not make it a risotto. thats like saying because im using spaghetti, any tomato sauce im adding to it makes it spaghetti bolognese. sure, many people would call it that - but that doesnt make it correct does it?

bleh, either way, i dont really care. i just thought that when telling people how to make *risotto* that you should use the most traditional/commonly accepted method. I would say that many things can be a *variation* - but not the actual thing.

Either way - its rice with stock in it -_- so long as it tastes good i dont really care. just dont tell me its something that its not. smile

Likes (0)