Jamie Oliver

forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Tue 05 Jun 07 5:34am

Mini Eggs Rock

Member since Wed 22 Nov 06

Substitute for beer

Hey everyone, I need some help. I have Celiacs in my family, which is an allergy for gluten. It includes wheat, oats, barley yeast etc.
For stew, I wanted to try a recipe I have which used a dark beer for flavour, only I can't use beer due to the yeast in it. Can anyone tell me what I can substitute in my stew for the beer??? thanks.

Likes (0)

#2 Tue 05 Jun 07 5:45am

shammrok

Forum super champ
Occupation Growing things
From Up the garden path...Tasmania
Member since Thu 02 Sep 04
    Likes (0)

#3 Tue 05 Jun 07 9:03am

oliviascotland

Forum champ
From Scotland
Member since Wed 06 Apr 05

Re: Substitute for beer

Having coeliacs in the family too, I sympahise!  I tend to use either a good stock, or some red wine.  The taste isn't quite the same, but it's still pretty good  wink

Likes (0)

#4 Tue 05 Jun 07 10:17am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

I'm not sure that it's just the yeast in beer that has gluten in it. There are gluten free beers (google gluten free beer) but i've heard they don't taste good.

Likes (0)

#5 Tue 05 Jun 07 1:27pm

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

Its particularly difficult because all beer is brewed from grain and yeast, and gains its flavour from those ingredients. Also, any alcoholic drink inevitably involves yeast in its production, so wine is also out.

There really is nothing, as far as I know which would produce an acceptable result in a stew which depends on dark beer for its flavour.

Whether you simply omit the beer, or try to use some substitute, it won't taste like the original recipe.

I suspect the best thing is to find another recipe which doesn't use the "forbidden" ingredients sad

Get some beef bones from the butcher (the butcher will cut them up for you if you ask). Roast them well, and use the roasted bones, with an onion (skin on) cut in half, a stalk of celery and a large carrot, quartered, to make a rich beef stock. Reduce the stock well until it gels when cooled.

Use this stock in your recipe - it won't be quite the same - but it will be good!

Likes (0)

#6 Tue 05 Jun 07 3:11pm

oliviascotland

Forum champ
From Scotland

Geoff, you are quite right that all beers are brewed from grains, hence the fact that they contain gluten.  Mini Eggs Rock  - yeast is not a problem for most coeliacs unless they are specifically allergic to it, as it contains no gluten.  Gluten free beers taste vile  puke , and in any case they are far too expensive to consider cooking with.  Sadly, it's a case of missing out on the flavour of the beer or ale, and using stock or wine instead.  It will still taste great, but a different kind of great  wink   Not being able to drink beer is one of the saddest things for my husband - he's a lifetime member of CAMRA (Campaign for Real Ale), but can't drink the wonderful selection available any more  sad

Likes (0)

#7 Tue 05 Jun 07 3:17pm

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

Olivia - no beer sad- but can he drink whisky?

Failing all else, he will just have to become a wine buff.

Likes (0)

#8 Tue 05 Jun 07 4:09pm

oliviascotland

Forum champ
From Scotland

Well, the whisky is the interesting one!  If it's an aged single malt it seems to be OK, but if it's a blended one, with additional grain alcohol added, it can be a bit difficult.  He tends to avoid them  sad , but may have one or two glasses a year.  Oddly, Jura Superstition seems to be OK, as does The Balvenie Doublewood - but it really is that distillery specific  hmm   I don't complain - all the more for me  lol

Likes (0)

#9 Wed 06 Jun 07 10:13am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

I've been very lucky - i don't like beer or whisky and i can't have gluten - there's really no loss. Bread is my only real loss; gluten free pasta is ok and you can make decent cakes without gluten. I've never really eaten processed foods (e.g. packet mixes, frozen meals) so cutting gluten out of my diet was easier.

Likes (0)

#10 Wed 06 Jun 07 3:50pm

ellboy

From ell's kitchen
Member since Mon 11 Apr 05

this is scary stuff, an allergy to beer! i never could have imagined such a thing.

won't sleep now!

Likes (0)