Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Thu 07 Jun 07 5:44pm

bcrain

Forum champ
Occupation Duty Free Lancome and Fragrance sales
From Greater Vancouver
Member since Mon 23 Oct 06

Rice Cooker

Letely I have noticed that when I make rice it starts to turn bad overnight. I was thinking with the warm weather here it may have been going bad sooner but I can't say I remember last year the rice was going bad so soon. I use a Zojirushi and it's an excellent brand but am beginning to think it's on it's last legs? I have had it for over 5 years I think. Any opinions? Thanks!

Likes (0)

#2 Thu 07 Jun 07 10:04pm

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

Re: Rice Cooker

Ican't think of any way that the type of rice cooker can affect the keeping quality of the cooked rice.

Does the rice look & taste & feel when it finishes cooking?

Do you leave the cooked rice in te cooker tocool diwn?

Do you put it in the fridge when cold?

I always cook more rice than I need immediately, and let tye remainder cool in the cooker, then eutyer put it in the fridge if ysing in a couple of days,ir freeze it for later (rice which has been frozen is really good in fried rice).

Likes (0)

#3 Fri 08 Jun 07 2:17am

bcrain

Forum champ
From Greater Vancouver

Geoff, I wash the rice, cook it and the rice is fine, normal. It's kept on the "keep warm" thereafter. The next morning it starts to smell. I have always done this in the past and it's never done that so I can't think what the problem is other than 1. the rice isn't fresh 2. The seal isn't working properly 3. possibly the water? I wash it well with tap water which is well water. But I fill it up to be cooked with bottled water. I am going to buy better rice and see if thats the problem before I spend 100.00 on a new cooker. The only time I put rice in the fridge is when I know I am going to be making stir fry. I usually only make 2 rice cups as we don't eat too much of it anymore so it's usually cooked fresh each time we need it.

Likes (0)

#4 Fri 08 Jun 07 8:03am

frizz1974

Forum super champ
Occupation Mother of 2 working more than full time
From Wallerawang, Oz
Member since Wed 29 Jun 05

Bcrain, the keep warm setting probably keeps your rice at the perfect temp for bacteria to breed.

Maybe if the problem is new, it could be the rice cooker not keeping the rice hot enough to stop the bugs breeding.

Why do you keep the rice in the cooker & not in the fridge? Rice reheats well in the microwave & it would be safer for all of you not to be eating rice thats left out overnight.

A really high percentage of food poisoning occurs the world over from cooked rice that is left out of the fridge. 

Im sure someone on here can tell you more, we had a thread about this topic a year or so ago. Im sure that rice was blamed for more than 50% of all food poisoning. As it is the custom in a lot of places that serve fried rice to cook an enormous batch of rice the night before for service the next day. In only 4 hours it is amazing the growth rate of bacteria kept at room temp. Rice is perfect, high in carbs & moisture.

Likes (0)

#5 Fri 08 Jun 07 10:13am

Cindy

Forum champ
Occupation Registered Nurse
From Adelaide, OZ
Member since Tue 03 Aug 04

ooohhh yes - Rice can make you very very sick. It develops some nasty poison or something.

I actually wait until it cools to room temp (about 30 mins) and put it straight into a tupperware container and then into the freezer for later.

I don't even keep it in the fridge.

I never leave it on the 'keep warm' setting.

Likes (0)

#6 Fri 08 Jun 07 3:52pm

Maree

Forum champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

I only leave it on keep warm for the recommended 10 mins, then place leftovers in a container uncovered until at room temp and then cover and refrigerate.

Leftovers (always cook way more than required) are either eaten (directly) by the dog to supplement her food or in the business recipes.

Leaving on keep warm for an extended period of time is *not* a good idea. It will ferment. Perhaps you could end up with a "base" for saki. Do *not* recommend it, though- food poisoning here we come. sad

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#7 Fri 08 Jun 07 4:15pm

bcrain

Forum champ
From Greater Vancouver

OMGoodness! I have never heard of that before, really! And the rice is always fresh, like I said it has never happened before and the rice is usually eaten fresh and there's little left afterwards. It's not "days" that's it's left in there and it's obvious when you open the lid thats there's that certain smell...tthen it goes into the garbage. I really think it's the rice cooker, like Frizz said. I have been making the rice the old fashioned way, lol, on the stove. But thanks for that info... Maree, I have never heard of that 10 minute thing before, usually after the rice has cooked, i leave it 10 minutes to "finish" up cooking, then we eat it. LOl, I think for the saki you have to cook the rice first and then there's a fungus you have to sprinkle on afterwards to get it to ferment, I have looked into it lol!

Likes (0)

#8 Fri 08 Jun 07 5:17pm

Maree

Forum champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Hi bcrain, by the "10 min thing", I should have been more clear. My rice cooker (Tefal which is a 10 cupper and is meant to be a steamer-most are- and a slow cooker-diameter is too small) states that when the rice has cooked and switches to "keep warm" automatically, to let it "rest" 10 mins before serving. In practice, it could be used for longer for "late comers". I wouldn't use it for much longer, especially in Summer. What is the weather and temp like "up and over" (as my friends in the US refer to themselves- we, in Oz, are "downunder")neutral

If the seal on yours isn't working, wouldn't you notice steam escaping all around the lid? (Instead of just through the vents). Mine also has a little plastic gizmo that collects the excess moisture. Empty each time it is used.

Have only had mine for about a year. Had cooked rice without problems on top of the stove forever. Why change? Gift.

Husband, particularly, loves the texture and concentrated aroma of especially jasmine and basmati rice- "just like a restaurant".

Does yours have a rubber gasket/seal? Do you wash it and dry it carefully each time you use it?

It's after 1am here and I confess I don't have the energy to go back to your original post. How old is it? If still under warranty, I'd be taking it back. Otherwise, maybe it's time it was sent to "appliance place" and replaced.

Before you do anything, though, I'd suggest that you cook up a batch of rice (same as used in the cooker) on the stove top and see if it's the rice or the machine.

Was joking about the saki!

Hit Amazon with abandon during the week for "cat treat" recipes. Also ordered a rice cooker recipe book and am going to be more creative with my use of the rice cooker- paella, desserts, breakfast etc.

Good luck crossed

Last edited by Maree-in-Sydney (Fri 08 Jun 07 5:35pm)

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#9 Fri 08 Jun 07 7:38pm

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany
Member since Mon 13 Mar 06

Does your rice cooker have a seal? Mine just has a lid like any old sauce pan. The water more or less seals the sides as some of it collects there early on, but there is no rubber or anything.....  oops

(I got mine, because I really did not manage to make decent rice on the stove top. Don't know why, but it seems to be the one thing I really am too stupid to do...) wink

Never heard of rice going bad though either... yikes  Have kept rice out forever in any kind of weather and never had a problem.... Maybe should be more careful..... oops oops
(Have frozen it before too though  .thumbsup:

Likes (0)

#10 Fri 08 Jun 07 11:28pm

bcrain

Forum champ
From Greater Vancouver

Thanks guys... Susanne, the rice cooker I have is called a Zogirushi and the lid is kind of hinged on and snaps shut. But I have had one like your before smile

Maree, I really dont know anymore, I think I was just trying to figure out what it could be. Its still a mystery but I am going to buy new rice and see if that could be it. And really, I was going to try and find out how I could make saki, hehe. But it looks like Limoncello is a little easier.

Likes (0)