Subscribe to forums RSS

#21 Wed 13 Jun 07 5:14pm

bcrain

Forum champ
Occupation Duty Free Lancome and Fragrance sales
From Greater Vancouver
Member since Mon 23 Oct 06

Re: Rice Cooker

Guess what guys? It was the rice cooker! I bought a new bag of rice, which is awesome rice btw... anyways, it came out with a bit of water at the bottom and the rice was soggy...

We bought a new Zojirushi cooker/neuro fuzzy. This one is computerized and makes all sorts of rice from regular rice/sushi rice/sweet rice/mixed rice/porridge, well you get the idea. I am still reading the manual to figure it out but it sure makes a huge difference. It even plays Twinkle/twinkle Little Star when the rice is done  lol

Likes (0)

#22 Wed 13 Jun 07 5:59pm

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Bcrain, so glad you got that sorted. My Tefal also uses "fuzzy logic" and does everthing but clean itself. Can't wait 'til the book arrives from Amazon so I can do those recipes fuss-free.

Have fun!

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#23 Wed 13 Jun 07 6:51pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

bcrain, I have just read this post as ,the bacteria that gets trapped in the air pockets inbetween the cooked rice grains is...Bacillus cereus.
It can be  particually a problem when rice is reheated.
Cooked rice should always be kept refridgerated.

I am glad that your rice cooker is now all sorted out, my rice cooker is a Tefal and I am thinking of replacing it as I think that the temperature gauge in it is faulty and gets too hot.I have not seen a Zojirushi, but I think that it is one with a lid that seals fully, (unlike my rice cooker that has a tpye of loose saucepan lid). I have been thinking of getting a new rice cooker with a lid that seals fully..

Anyone have any opinions as to which type is better/

Likes (0)

#24 Wed 13 Jun 07 7:00pm

Maree

Forum super champ

Hi mummza, I have a Tefal and love it. It has a rubber seal/gasket which seals it completely and a plastic gizmo to empty excess water that has not gone out via the top vents.

The family (husband especially) love it because it brings texture and aroma "just like a restaurant". Have ordered a book from Amazon and hope to get more adventurous (pilaf, paella, desserts, breakfast) with my rice cooker.

Let you know how I go.

Likes (0)

#25 Wed 13 Jun 07 7:16pm

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

Hi Maree, how are you fairing after the heavy storms?
My Tefal rice cooker is a lot more basic than yours by the sounds of it, the first one that we had was ok and eventually broke down so I replaced it with another that was the same but I have been unimpressed with the new one. I think that I will buy a new one with a lid that seals fully.
(rather than one with like a saucepan lid)

I have made 'vegatable rice ' in the rice cooker, cooking the rice in some stock instead of plain water and adding fresh chopped veg and frozen peas into it at intervals (depending on their cooking times). I like also to add some sauteed onions and may be some sauted sweet peppers and corgette/zuchini  at the end of the cooking. This is always a favorite of my familys.

Likes (0)

#26 Wed 13 Jun 07 7:51pm

Maree

Forum super champ

Hi mummza. Thanks for asking: we are just drenched through. Soil is so dry from the drought that rain runs off. We need gentle, soaking rain, not torrential rain. Am worried about my elderly uncles in the Hunter. Haven't had power for a week. Worried about hypothermia and lack of food prep.

Power meant to be on by tomorrow (Friday). Now they are saying *next* week. Have insisted that I go up and bring them here. Kids can give up their rooms and sleep in sleeping bags elsewhere in the house. Uncles refuse to leave their property as the looters have come in. Low lives!!! Can't do any more. I learned my stubborness as being part of that family.

Re the rice cooker, I started with a Sunbeam (good brand down here). Never liked it or its results. Was given the Tefal. If you can stretch the budjet, buy one. Mine has "fuzzy logic" (decides when food is cooked and turns to "keep warm" for 10 mins to "rest" and then beeps).

My darling daughter, whose kitchen skills start and stop at instant coffee and a tea bag (has no interest in cooking, despite "prepping" along side of me at the sink in her high chair when less than 12 mos old), can even make rice when hungry enough.

The extra money is well worth it.

Hope this helps smile

Likes (0)

#27 Wed 13 Jun 07 9:01pm

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

I think that its like everything, Maree, buy the best that you can afford at the time. I will investigate what rice cooker seems best and avalible in the UK . I am sure that I saw a Tefal machine like the one you mention ,so when I get chance in a couple of weeks , I will pop and see one.
I agree that they are easy to use, one of my daughters is similar when it comes to kitchen stuff...only..she does not drink coffee and when it comes to a cup of tea she seems to  get her Father to make her one as soon as he arrives home through the door from work !!! ...but microwave Popcorn she will get up and make at anytime  lol  . If we are out for the day she seems to eat breakfast cereal and toast!!!

I am glad that you are all ok and I fully understand your concerns about you elderly uncles. If they are woried about looting, they could always pack some very sentimental treasures to bring with them.

Likes (0)

#28 Thu 14 Jun 07 12:59am

bcrain

Forum champ
From Greater Vancouver

Hi mummza! yes, its so nice to get it all sorted and have a good working machine that doesn't give you problems. yes, the lid snaps shut. If there is a large asian shop near you, gop take a look and see what they have, you might see something you like. I have not seen the t-fal ones but am sure they do a good job. if you want to see the one I have and many others go to www.zojirushi.com, my model number is ns-zac10 but many other companies make good rice cookers too. Good luck with your hunt! smile

Likes (0)

#29 Thu 14 Jun 07 5:34am

stuvik

Occupation IT - Programmer
Member since Tue 22 May 07

bcrain, I was under the impression the 'keep warm' feature of the rice cooker was for when you ate the rice after it was cooked. I.e. it keeps the rice warm during a meal.
After a meal you really should turn off the rice cooker and let the rice cool enough so you can put it in the fridge. Either that or add more water/stock and turn the remainder into rice porridge smile I use a Shuttle Chef to keep things hot overnight (http://www.galtak.com/thermos.html) or to keep things hot and stewing during the day while I'm at work.

Likes (0)

#30 Thu 14 Jun 07 4:43pm

bcrain

Forum champ
From Greater Vancouver

stuvik, yes, that's what the 'keep warm" function is for... but since I only make 2 cups at a time the keep warm is not on for very long anyways. In all my years making rice no one has died or gotten sick, really. There is whats called an extended keep warm function as well and that obviously keeps it warmer for longer but at a lower temp. than the normal keep warm. That is a good idea about the porridge though... just haven't gotten that faras I have never used any of my rice cookers for anything but to steam plain rice. There are a few recipies in the manual though and I believe zojirushi has recipies on their website.

I have never seen the Shuttle Chef before. Is it kind of like a slow cooker?

Likes (0)