forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sat 09 Jun 07 10:12pm

cjhildebrand

Occupation Assistant Kitchen Manager, Boston Pizza, Morden
From Morden, MB, CA
Member since Sat 09 Jun 07

Help!!! Banquet Planning...

Hey Everybody. I've been chosen to create a banquet menu for a Charity golf tournament at work. As this is my first venture like this, I'm just having some trouble rounding out the menu. The meal includes an appetizer platter, main course and a dessert. I need some simple appy ideas, as well as an idea for the dessert. I want everything to compliment each other. If you want to know more and think you could help me out, just let me know. Look forward to hearing from you!

Christopher.

Likes (0)

#2 Sat 09 Jun 07 10:38pm

cjhildebrand

From Morden, MB, CA

Re: Help!!! Banquet Planning...

I got the appetizer thing figured out, as well as the dessert. All I need now is to get some opinions on how well my meal will work together. The main course has a few options. One can choose from a Charbroiled Lemon-Pepper Chicken Breast brushed with Olive Oil, or a Chicken Breast Glazed with a Mango Pineapple Coolie. The issue arrises with choising an accompaniment. Right now I'm planning a garlic and herb mashed potatoe, but I'm not really happy with that. Could I do a wild rice? Or perhaps just seasonal veggies? That is where I'm lost. There are also two options for the salad. A Spinach Salad with strawberry slices, pieces of mandarin oranges, and sweet sugar toasted almonds. Or, a Summer Tossed Salad with cherry tomatoes, cucumber, orange and red peppers, julienne carrots and red onion; finished with a radish flower. Dessert will be a rich Chocolate Mousse over Vanilla Shortbread, garnished with slices of strawberry. Any constructive criticism would be great!

Christopher.

Likes (0)

#3 Sun 10 Jun 07 12:02pm

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany
Member since Mon 13 Mar 06

Hi Christopher,
I have no experience whatsoever with cooking for banquets, but here is my tuppence worth:

1. I am not sure if it is fortunate to have two meat choices with the same meat. Although chicken is always a good choice, of course! I would probably either use different meats or one meat and one fish or vegetarian. Your ideas for seasoning sound fantastic though.

2. Chocolate Mousse is always good. Only if there is no alternative, I would definitely add fruit. Strawberry sounds like a great idea.

3. For salad: Keep it simple. The tossed salad sounds like too many different things. The spinach salad sounds good. You might even omit the mandarin oranges and "just" make an orangy dressing (using either zests or juice...)

4. For the flavors you combine with the meat I think I would go for the wild rice rather than anything potato. And maybe a simple vegetable thing. Not using too many different flavors though. I could imagine grilled green asparagus with course sea salt and drizzled olive oil. Something to give a crunch anyway...

Don't know if that helps...
Good luck  crossed

Likes (0)

#4 Tue 12 Jun 07 3:54am

cjhildebrand

From Morden, MB, CA

Your opinion definately gave me some... food for thought! The point about using the same meat for two different options had crossed my mind. My boss wanted me to keep it quick and easy, yet still impress. So that is why I was going to use only chicken. It being a summer event, I have decided to do a Pork Skewer with the Mango Pineapple Coolie; rather than the chicken. That will give them some selection, and still let me use my awesome coolie! thumbsup I will likely simplify the tossed salad, and your idea of using an orange dressing, didn't even cross my mind. I'll give it a shot, I've never really done dressings before, but it's about time I start. Thanks for the input!

Christopher.

Last edited by cjhildebrand (Tue 12 Jun 07 3:55am)

Likes (0)