forum: Food & Drink

#1 Tue 19 Jun 07 1:25pm

bigbird21uk

Member since Tue 19 Jun 07

Chilli con Carne

Hello everyone,

Hope you can help?  Fairly new beginner as a cook, now that I have my new house and all......I would really appreciate any good advice on how to make a great Chilli con Carne.

Many thanks,

Claire, Manchester.

Likes (0)

#2 Tue 19 Jun 07 2:12pm

Tanya

Forum champ
From Scotland
Member since Thu 15 Jul 04

Re: Chilli con Carne

Hello Claire, welcome.

Check out.....

Jamie's recipe for Chilli con Carne from his book "Happy Days with the Naked Chef"  -  Serves 4

It's great to buy chuck steak for this recipe because you know exactly what quality of meat you're buying.  Then simply cut it into pieces and pulse in a food processor until it resembles minced beef.  I normally make double the amount of chilli needed so that I can divide the extra into sandwich bags, knotted at the top, for freezing.  These bags can then be boiled for 15 minutes when needed.

2 medium onions
1 clove of garlic
olive oil
2 level teaspoons chilli powder
1 fresh red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
1 heaped teaspoon ground cumin (or crushed cumin seeds)
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
455gr/1 lb chuck steak, minced, or best minced beef
200gr/7oz sun-dried tomatoes in oil
2 x 400gr/14oz tins of tomatoes
1/2 stick of cinnamon
2 x 400gr/14oz tins of red kidney beans, drained

To cook this I use a metal pan or casserole with a lid, which you can use on the hob and in the oven.  If you are going to use the oven method (see below) then preheat the oven to 150C/300F/gas 2.

Blitz the onions and garlic in a food processor until finely chopped, then fry in a little olive oil until soft.  Add the chilli powder, fresh chilli, cumin and a little seasoning.  Then add the minced chuck steak or beef and continue to cook, stirring until it has browned.  Blitz the sun-dried tomatoes in the food processor with enough oil from the jar to loosen into a paste.  Add these to the beef with the tomatoes, cinnamon stick and a wineglass of water.  Season a little more if need be.

Bring to the boil, cover with greaseproof paper and the lid, then either turn the heat down to simmer and cook for 1 1/2 hours or transfer the pan to the oven for about 1 1/2 hours.  Add the tinned kidney beans 30 minutes before the end of the cooking time - they are already cooked and only need warming up.

This always tastes better if you cook it the day before (to give the flavours time to develop), so it's really handy if you've got friends coming round and don't want to be stuck in the kitchen.  Just take it out of the fridge and warm it up - serve it with lots of fresh crusty bread, a nice tossed salad, and a big blob of natural yoghurt or guacamole.

Enjoy.

yummy

Likes (0)

#3 Tue 19 Jun 07 3:00pm

SonomaEddie

Forum super champ
Occupation Chief cook and bottle washer
From Northern California
Member since Sat 10 Feb 07

With all due respect, true chile heads never use kidney beans in chile.
I f I were to use beans, I would use small red ones.  Kidney beans are too large and mushy and ruin the texture and flavor.
Just my 2 cents.
Eddie

Likes (0)

#4 Tue 19 Jun 07 3:38pm

Grizzleypappy

Just a quick question, what exactly does Con Carne mean?  I have been doing both types, with beans and without beans for quite some time but I never learned what the difference was.

Likes (0)

#5 Tue 19 Jun 07 4:03pm

Tanya

Forum champ
From Scotland
Member since Thu 15 Jul 04

Con carne means .....with meat.

Likes (0)

#6 Wed 20 Jun 07 9:43am

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

The debate on chilli con carne will run & run & run smile

Meat chopped or minced, with beans, without beans (and which beans), with tomato, without tomato, Texas style or Cincinnati style, over rice, with tortillas, with cheese, without cheese, chili powder or chilis (and ehich chillis) - the variations sre endless and all serious chilli heads have their own secret recipe - each of which, of course, is "the original".

The debate has been going on for well over a century - and looks set to continue indefinitely.

And - although it was first popularised by the "Chilli queens" of San Antonio, chilli these days seems to be a "man thing" - maybe its the macho image of the burning ring of fire smile

I wonder how many variations we can come up with on this thread.

Likes (0)

#7 Wed 20 Jun 07 11:23am

frizz1974

Forum super champ
Occupation Mother of 2 working more than full time
From Wallerawang, Oz
Member since Wed 29 Jun 05

I love chilli, but cook it mild as I have young kids, and i find it really good for "hiding" vegies in...

I have never heard the about the bean debate. Assume it would be authentic as they were easily stored.

Now I could be way off but I thought chilli was one of those campfire dishes made by cowboys back in the dark old days... if so then beans would have 'bean' lol  in it as they travel well & weigh next to nothing when dried... just my thoughts.

Last edited by frizz1974 (Wed 20 Jun 07 11:27am)

Likes (0)

#8 Wed 20 Jun 07 12:42pm

bigbird21uk

Tanya, thanks very much for that recipe will give it a try.  I never knew there was such interest regarding the use of Beans, etc.......Cheers everyone x.

Tanya wrote:

Hello Claire, welcome.

Check out.....

Jamie's recipe for Chilli con Carne from his book "Happy Days with the Naked Chef"  -  Serves 4

It's great to buy chuck steak for this recipe because you know exactly what quality of meat you're buying.  Then simply cut it into pieces and pulse in a food processor until it resembles minced beef.  I normally make double the amount of chilli needed so that I can divide the extra into sandwich bags, knotted at the top, for freezing.  These bags can then be boiled for 15 minutes when needed.

2 medium onions
1 clove of garlic
olive oil
2 level teaspoons chilli powder
1 fresh red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
1 heaped teaspoon ground cumin (or crushed cumin seeds)
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
455gr/1 lb chuck steak, minced, or best minced beef
200gr/7oz sun-dried tomatoes in oil
2 x 400gr/14oz tins of tomatoes
1/2 stick of cinnamon
2 x 400gr/14oz tins of red kidney beans, drained

To cook this I use a metal pan or casserole with a lid, which you can use on the hob and in the oven.  If you are going to use the oven method (see below) then preheat the oven to 150C/300F/gas 2.

Blitz the onions and garlic in a food processor until finely chopped, then fry in a little olive oil until soft.  Add the chilli powder, fresh chilli, cumin and a little seasoning.  Then add the minced chuck steak or beef and continue to cook, stirring until it has browned.  Blitz the sun-dried tomatoes in the food processor with enough oil from the jar to loosen into a paste.  Add these to the beef with the tomatoes, cinnamon stick and a wineglass of water.  Season a little more if need be.

Bring to the boil, cover with greaseproof paper and the lid, then either turn the heat down to simmer and cook for 1 1/2 hours or transfer the pan to the oven for about 1 1/2 hours.  Add the tinned kidney beans 30 minutes before the end of the cooking time - they are already cooked and only need warming up.

This always tastes better if you cook it the day before (to give the flavours time to develop), so it's really handy if you've got friends coming round and don't want to be stuck in the kitchen.  Just take it out of the fridge and warm it up - serve it with lots of fresh crusty bread, a nice tossed salad, and a big blob of natural yoghurt or guacamole.

Enjoy.

yummy

Likes (0)

#9 Wed 20 Jun 07 2:11pm

Anna

Forum champ
From Switzerland
Member since Fri 15 Apr 05

I saw a TV chef (can't for the life of me remember who) make a chilli with chopped pork and literally dozens of green jalapenos.  Does anyone have a recipe for something similar to this?

Likes (0)

#10 Wed 20 Jun 07 3:04pm

SonomaEddie

Forum super champ
Occupation Chief cook and bottle washer
From Northern California
Member since Sat 10 Feb 07

Anna, I think you are talking about chile verde.  I will try to post a recipe for that.
I lived in Texas for awhile where people take their chilli very seriously.
It was there that I learned that the use of beans was scorned.
But it does all depend on where you live in the US.  Even in California.
I was surprized when I moved to Northern California and ordered a chili dog and found in was smothered in beans with not a speck of meat to be found.  Whereas in Los Angeles, if you order the same thing, you will get thick gravy-like substance made of ground beef.
Eddie

Likes (0)