forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Mon 25 Jun 07 6:35pm

Anna

Forum champ
From Switzerland
Member since Fri 15 Apr 05

Layering a lasagna

Is there a 'proper' way to layer a lasagna?  I've got a huge vat of ragu bubbling away in preparation for having some friends over for dinner, and we just got talking about whether there's a correct or traditional order to the layers of ragu, bechamel and pasta.  Anyone?   smile

Likes (0)

#2 Mon 25 Jun 07 7:15pm

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

Re: Layering a lasagna

Dunno, but what I do is:

This assumes that you have made the bechamel sauce with added cheese

First - Thin layer if bechamel sauce
lasagna pasta
ragu
bechamel
lasagna pasta
ragu
bechamel

Then scatter some cheese over the top

If you didn't add the cheese to the bechamel, you need to scatter it over each layer of bechamel.

Seems to work fir me

Likes (0)

#3 Mon 25 Jun 07 7:17pm

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

I was taught by Greek (lol) in-laws, ragu, bechamel, pasta. Continue until top layer is bechamel and extra cheese. Let rest for 30 mins so pasta absorbs flavour and softens more (I only use fresh (h/m lasagne or if short on time, the "fresh" lasagne sheets from the supermarket).

Anna, as said, these directions were given to me by my Greek in-laws, though f-i-l lived and worked in Southern Italy with the UN for 10yrs after WW11.

Hope this helps smile

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (2)

#4 Mon 25 Jun 07 7:32pm

Anna

Forum champ
From Switzerland
Member since Fri 15 Apr 05

Coolio, thanks guys.

Likes (0)

#5 Mon 25 Jun 07 8:34pm

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany
Member since Mon 13 Mar 06

I do it like Geoff discribed it, but I think it does not matter much as long as your lasagna sheets always get moisture from both sides (especially if using dried ones as I always do) and the last layer under the top cheese is some kind of sauce too rather than the pasta.
Have fun spending the evening with your friends wink

Likes (0)

#6 Tue 26 Jun 07 4:42am

bcrain

Forum champ
Occupation Duty Free Lancome and Fragrance sales
From Greater Vancouver
Member since Mon 23 Oct 06

Huh! I have never made lasagne with bechemal sauce. Usually ragu/pasta for a few layers... half way through I add the spinach~cheese sauce and keep layering and finish with ragu and sprinkle with cheese, but only sometimes, too fatty. I have a good veggie lasagna... heaven forbid! lol

Likes (0)

#7 Tue 26 Jun 07 9:17am

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany
Member since Mon 13 Mar 06

I think the bechamel is a classic, but with ragu and spinach cheese sauce you would not want a third sauce and the spinach sounds yummy in it!

Likes (0)

#8 Tue 26 Jun 07 2:40pm

frizz1974

Forum super champ
Occupation Mother of 2 working more than full time
From Wallerawang, Oz
Member since Wed 29 Jun 05

yummy vegie lasagna. This is a treat for me as the rest of the family are pretty well carnivorous. The idea of vegie lasagna sends them into fits.

If I make a rattatoille(sp) I sometimes make myself a small lasagna with it for lunch if there is any left.

When I make a 'traditional" ragu lasagna, I put some of the ragu down first, then pasta, more ragu, repaeat, then a thick layer of bechamel, topped with grated cheese over a last layer of pasta before baking. I dont like the way the two sauces melt together & turn a kind of pink.

Likes (0)

#9 Tue 26 Jun 07 2:48pm

Mia

Occupation Tech Writer
From Germany (but a native NYer)
Member since Thu 15 Jul 04

What, no ricotta?
smile

Likes (0)

#10 Tue 26 Jun 07 3:22pm

frizz1974

Forum super champ
Occupation Mother of 2 working more than full time
From Wallerawang, Oz
Member since Wed 29 Jun 05

Ahhh, now we are talking....

I love ricotta & spinach lasagna, with a good pinch of nutmeg in the seasonings.... again something only I would eat in this household...

Oh they all eat spinach, but they dont all know it cool  lol

Likes (0)