Subscribe to forums RSS

#21 Thu 28 Jun 07 2:53pm

SonomaEddie

Forum super champ
Occupation Chief cook and bottle washer
From Northern California
Member since Sat 10 Feb 07

Re: Layering a lasagna

Ashen, where in Italy is your grandmother from?  I find it interesting to see how each region makes its own version of the same dish.
Pizza is like that, too.  I love Neopolitan pizza but I also like the pizza done in the Roman style.  Long oval-shaped with different toppings.  Or pizza bianco.
Eddie

Likes (0)

#22 Thu 28 Jun 07 7:07pm

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany
Member since Mon 13 Mar 06

Is pizza bianco the pizza without a tomato sauce someone was looking for recently? I had never heard of it before  and have to admit oops that I thought it was just a new idea or an invention of all those people who claim to like pizza but hate tomatoes and cheese... oops oops oops
So what kind of sauce is it then? Got me curious now....

Likes (0)

#23 Thu 28 Jun 07 11:27pm

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

SonomaEddie... My fathers family comes from a little village outside of Asolo in treviso..  it is  part of the Veneto.. Just slightly northeast of venice. From what i have been able to gather the food culture is heavily influenced by the Germanic culture of nearby Alto Adige/Bolzano. .. in fact in the province of Bolzano the majority of the population speaks German.  Interestingly enough our family name is the italian word for German.  wink   There is a strong difference between northern and southern italian food though.. A co-worker of mine comes from Fruili and their food is almost identical.. of course both of our families come from the middle north so to speak so they probably didn't live more than 100 to 150 kms away.   When you are talking about italy though that can mean vast differences in food and culture and even language.

susanneH.. I may be wrong but from what i was always told.. pizza bianco simply means a white pizza.. no tomato sauce  or coloured sauce( thinking of pesto here) .. so technically any pizza without it is a pizza bianco.. One of the ones i have always wanted to try is thinly sliced potato pizza..  dough is coated with a mix of olive oil and minced garlic .. 1 layer of very thinly sliced potato.. thin enough to be used to make chips/crisps.   sprinkle of sea salt and black pepper then bake.

Only a fool argues with a skunk, a mule or a cook.  { cowboy saying}
    Likes (0)

#24 Fri 29 Jun 07 5:49am

SonomaEddie

Forum super champ
Occupation Chief cook and bottle washer
From Northern California
Member since Sat 10 Feb 07

The pizza bianco I've seen can be as simple as just some olive oil and a little salt or a little cheese and some anchovy.  Never tomatoes, though.
Ashen, there is a woman in the states from Friuli who has several restaurants, a cooking show and several cook books.  The recipes are very interesting.  Some are even for strudels.  I like one that she has for cabbage, onion and mushroom pasta sauce.
Eddie

Last edited by SonomaEddie (Fri 29 Jun 07 5:51am)

Likes (0)

#25 Fri 29 Jun 07 10:46am

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany

Thanks guys!

Likes (0)

#26 Fri 29 Jun 07 8:38pm

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

SonomaEddie.. it is not suprising.. much of northern italy used to be part of the austria/hungary Austrian Empire.   Fruili has alot of slovenian influences as well.

Only a fool argues with a skunk, a mule or a cook.  { cowboy saying}
    Likes (0)

#27 Fri 29 Jun 07 9:09pm

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany

In South Tirol people still speak (also) German nowadays. The food is similar to other Alpine regions (Austrian and Swiss etc) wink

Likes (0)

#28 Thu 12 Jul 07 5:53pm

osvaldo

Occupation Consultant Engineer
From Curitiba - Brazil
Member since Fri 26 Nov 04

Dont forget to change the color of the layers !!!
If you have time, the appareance will change !!!

...all good suggestions from you.
regards

Likes (0)

#29 Fri 13 Jul 07 9:59am

esta_mickey

From Bondi, Sydney
Member since Sun 02 Jul 06

i was taught by my milanese friend who is also a chef that it should be bechemel, pasta, ragu, etc finishing with bechemel and then grated parmesan regardless of whether you have added cheese to the sauce

Likes (0)

#30 Fri 13 Jul 07 11:53am

Antonio76

Occupation Cook
From Sicily
Member since Thu 05 Jul 07

bechamel on bottom ... then pasta ... bechamel ragu pasta ... so on ...

top bechamel ragu grana butter ... in the bake with alluminium paper cover 20 minutes ...last 10 minutes without cover ...

about the pizza bianca or biancaneve (snowhite) as they call it in some pizzeria around here ... it s<just a pizza<with mozzarella only topping ... maybe olives and basilico ... without anything is called < focaccia > a pizza without anything on top ... just oil oregano ... or rosmarin... someone like it with sardinas on top .. or prosciutto crudo as it come out of the bake... depends from the region ... very used as an entrance in those restaurant that r also pizzeria  clap

Likes (0)