forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Wed 27 Jun 07 3:42pm

LadyRed

Forum champ
From Vienna, Austria
Member since Wed 18 Aug 04

Trout

I recently found a very good organic trout farm near me. You can pick the trouts in the pond and they catch them for you  thumbsup So they are as fresh are can be.

But I'm getting a bit bored with my usual trout dish: dusted in seasoned flour and panfried until nice and crisp on the outside.

What are your favorite trout dishes? both for whole fish, fillets and even smoked trout which they also have!

Likes (0)

#2 Wed 27 Jun 07 3:56pm

Tanya

Forum champ
From Scotland
Member since Thu 15 Jul 04

Re: Trout

LadyRed....

Check this link.  I am sure you will find something you would like.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/apps/ifl/food/reci … ubmit.y=11

Likes (0)

#3 Wed 27 Jun 07 4:23pm

LadyRed

Forum champ
From Vienna, Austria
Member since Wed 18 Aug 04

Hi Tanya!

Thanks for bringing that good recipe source back to my memory. Used to go there quite often but forgot all about it  oops

Likes (0)

#4 Wed 27 Jun 07 6:04pm

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany
Member since Mon 13 Mar 06

I just rub them with a mix of coarse sea salt, olive oil and thyme inside and out. Sometimes I fill the cavity with more herbs. Sometimes not.
I half a lemon, make a slit into the cut side, stick a bay leaf in.
Then I bake the salmon and the lemon in the oven at 250° for 10-12 min (depending on size of fish).
The lemon is fantastic to drizzle over the fish.

(I think I initially had this from Jamie's first book, but don't know for sure anymore...)

Likes (0)

#5 Wed 27 Jun 07 7:31pm

Eilen

Forum champ
From Oregon
Member since Fri 23 Sep 05

Hi LadyRed--I posted this recipe for trout in Foodology--it's really lovely:
Baked Trout with Sorrel Sauce

2 whole trout, gutted, etc., heads on if you like
about one cup julienned vegetables, I used carrot and fennel
2 tbs. butter
one cup slightly acidic white wine (riesling)
one cup heavy cream
12 sorrel leaves, finely chopped, plus more for the end if you like

Set your oven on 220C/425F.  Butter a baking dish just large enough to hold the trout.  Season trout inside and out with salt and pepper, then place in the dish.  Melt the butter in a pan large enough to hold the veg.  Saute the carrots and fennel for about a minute, just to soften a bit; season with a bit of salt.  Spoon them and the butter into the fish cavities, pour the wine over the fish, cover lightly with foil and bake about 12 minutes till fish flakes easily.

Remove the fish and veg to a warm serving dish, pour the wine into a saucepan and add the cream and sorrel and boil til the sauce reduces and coats the back of a spoon, about 2-4 minutes.  Spoon sauce over fish and serve.  I just boiled up some new potatoes, skins on, and served them as a side to soak up the tasty sauce.

Likes (0)

#6 Sun 08 Jul 07 3:22pm

French_vanilla

Forum champ
Occupation Secretary
From Dublin - Ireland
Member since Sun 01 Apr 07

I'd bake them in the oven with tomatoes (chopped from a can is ok), garlic, onions, good bit of mixed chopped herbs and some white wine...

Lovely!

French_vanilla

Likes (0)

#7 Sun 15 Jul 07 5:07pm

setlhomo06

Member since Wed 06 Jun 07

try this one normally is for the salmon
4fillets rainbow trout
4spring onion chopped (shallots)
1star anise
1red chillie
1garli finely chopped
8ppercorn
chives
1tbsp flour o
oliveoil for frying

For the sauce

1tbsp sugar

1/2red chilli finely chopped
2 springonion
1garlic
1tbsp ginger
2tbsp ginger
zest and juice of 1lime
2tbsp soya sauce
2tbspsesameoil
2tbsp sesameseed

start by making the sauce, heat the oil add sesameoil then seeds . take it from the heat to cool add the other ingredients putit aside while you are making the fish. in a saucepan large enough to take 4fillets. heat the olive oil with the spice to 50degree. put the fish fry for 20minutes then pour the sauce over simmer for a few minutes.if you want it hot add the 2tbsp sweet thai chillie sauce enoy it with steamed rice

Likes (0)

#8 Sun 15 Jul 07 5:09pm

setlhomo06

Member since Wed 06 Jun 07

soory the flour is for the spring onion you dust the with the flour then fry them that is only for the presentation.

Likes (0)

#9 Sun 15 Jul 07 7:30pm

Andyj

Occupation Head gardener
From Lewes, East Sussex, UK
Member since Tue 10 Jan 06

Baked in the oven....wrapped in foil along with butter, herbs, lots of lemon slices, garlic and anything else you care to throw in with it.

Make sure all the ingredients cover the fish and get into the gut cavity then just chuck in the oven for 25 mins

thumbsup

Likes (0)