Jamie Oliver

forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Thu 12 Jul 07 7:30pm

Beautiful BC

Forum champ
From British Columbia, Canada
Member since Wed 04 May 05

Basic Risotto Recipe.....ideal substitute for the dry white wine?

Hi...I used white grape juice a couple of times, but I'm wondering if anybody has any other better options? 

Thanks!

Likes (0)

#2 Fri 13 Jul 07 9:54am

Cindy

Forum champ
Occupation Registered Nurse
From Adelaide, OZ
Member since Tue 03 Aug 04

Re: Basic Risotto Recipe.....ideal substitute for the dry white wine?

Leave it out. I don't use wine or alcohol in my Risotto, I just add extra stock or water or whatever.

Likes (0)

#3 Fri 13 Jul 07 1:47pm

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

I would have thought grape juice would be too sweet - have you thought about using verjuice instead.

But, why not just use wine anyway - all the alcohol is cooked off, and its there for the flavour.

Likes (0)

#4 Fri 13 Jul 07 4:34pm

Beautiful BC

Forum champ

I did just leave it out a few times, but thought maybe I was missing something with flavour.  I'm the kind of person who "follows" a recipe, so I thought I'd check out the alternatives.

I haven't heard of verjuice.  What is that?

As for not just using wine.....I realize the alcohol is cooked off, but neither my husband nor I drink.....so I never go to the liquor store.....therefore no wine on hand!  neutral

Likes (0)

#5 Sat 14 Jul 07 12:53am

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

Verjuice is the unfermented juice of under-ripe grapes - its a traditional alternative to lemon juice or vinegar, which is undergoing somewhat of a revival at the moment.

Unlless there is a compelling reason not to drink - its worth buying wine in 1/2 or 1/3 bottles just for cooking. It's even available in small individual glass sized cans.

Likes (0)

#6 Sat 14 Jul 07 5:39am

Beautiful BC

Forum champ

Thanks GeoffP...I didn't realize you could purchase 1/3 or 1/2 bottles.  Maybe I'll investigate that angle.  I'm not against using wine in cooking, just never have any on hand.  If the bottles are available in smaller quantities all the better.  I am curious to try a taste test!

Likes (0)

#7 Sat 14 Jul 07 7:31am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

I buy casks of wine for cooking. The single grape varieties are better and they do last. Often when we need/want to use wine for cooking we don't want to have to finish the bottle. I'm rather sensitive (as in fussy) when it comes to the taste of oxidised wine.

Likes (0)