forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Fri 10 Aug 07 8:40pm

bennetbabe

Member since Fri 10 Aug 07

slow cooked joint of beef

Has anyone got a recommended recipe for slow cooking a joint of beef - silverside in particular.  I was thinking along the lines of jamie's original 5 hour lamb recipe with veg and wine and replacing the lamb with the beef, the white wine with red and just adapting the herbs appropriately?  Any suggestions/ideas from anyone greatly appreciated.  Tracy crossed

Likes (0)

#2 Sun 19 Aug 07 4:11pm

mrslawlor

Occupation Office Manager
From Ireland
Member since Sat 23 Jun 07

Re: slow cooked joint of beef

Hi Tracey,

this is the one I make

You need:
5lb joint of beef (this is what I use it can be adapted)
2 red onions quartered
4 peeled cloves of garlic
A mixture of fresh herbs pounded in a pestle and mortar to a paste with peppercorns and sea salt

Rinse and dry the joint, place the quartered onions and garlc on the bottom of your roasting tray and put the beef on top.
Rub the herb paste all over the top and sides of the joint/
Cover with foil leaving space at the top and sides for steam to circulate but make sure it's airtight around the edges/
Put in the oven at 200 for 30 mins (It think this is about Gas Mark 5ish)
then reduce heat to 130 and roast for 5 hours
When cooked wrap the beef in foil and a tea towel and leave for an hour (this is very imporant cos the juices settle).  Keep the onions and garlic and meat juice in a pot for your gravy
Take the beef out and pour any juice into the sauce pan with the onions, garlic and juices from earlier, reduce by half then add a glass of red wine and reduce by half again.
Serve

This is gorgeous, even my father in law who is VERY VERY picky loves it and always asks to take some home for his sandwiches at work the next day!!

Likes (1)

#3 Sun 19 Aug 07 5:24pm

mrslawlor

Occupation Office Manager
From Ireland
Member since Sat 23 Jun 07

Meant to add I use rosemary and thyme as my herbs for the rub

Likes (0)

#4 Wed 29 Aug 07 7:52am

VENUS

Forum champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

CORNED BEEF AND CABBAGE

2 1/2 pound corned beef brisket
packet of spices or 2 bay leaves and 1 tsp. whole black pepper
4 carrots, quartered
2 medium onions, cut into wedges
10 to 12 whole, small new potatoes
1 lb. head of cabbage

Trim fat from brisket and place meat, spices and meat juices (if available) in a 4 to 6 quart Dutch oven, add enough water to cover and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer for two hours or until meat is almost tender (test with a fork).

Add carrots and onions and bring to boiling.  Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.  Meanwhile, wash and halve or quarter the potatoes, and cut the cabbage into six wedges.  Add potatoes and cabbage and cook, covered, about 20 minutes or until vegetables and meat are tender

Likes (0)

#5 Wed 29 Aug 07 8:23am

zippets

Occupation Mum
From Perth, Western Australia
Member since Thu 09 Aug 07

Hey there Venus

My Mum (a farmers daughter so grew up having to cook for shearers), who I think is a great cook, has this very simple & extended method for corned beef & cabbage & it was one of the many favourite dishes as a kid.

Corned Beef & Cabbage with Mustard Sauce

1 peice corned beef (I usually buy the heart smart beef which are usually the girllo cut)
Potatoes - whole
Carrots - whole
Cabbage

Usually Mum washes her beef to rinse off some of the salt but if buying the heart smart then you will not need to do this.
She pops this into a large pot with the spuds & carrots & immerses it all well in water then slowly simmers all this for a couple of hours or until the beef is tender.
Cut of the required amount of cabbage and boil breifly in some of the corned beef stock (or do as my Irish friend does & pops it straight into the pot but this can make separating the vegies a little more difficult.)
Remove the beef & set aside, covered, to rest.
Remove the spuds to a warm bowl & mash with some butter until creamy.
Drain off the cabbage & carrots, reserving all the liquid.
Slice beef & serve on a warmed plate with mashed spuds, carrots, cabbage & mustard sauce.

Mustard Sauce

1 egg
1/4 cup vinegar
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp dry mustard (or more if you prefer it stronger & you can use paste)
1 tab plain flour
1 cup cooking liquid from the pot

In a small pot beat the egg & sugar until smooth.  Add the flour & mustard & mix to a smooth paste.  Add the vinegar & cooking liquid & mix.  Cook over a slow flame until thick.
**If there is any left over sauce I usually freeze it until next time I have corned beef.  Just give it a good whisk when re-heating it.**

*Now* with the reserved corned beef stock, add some diced carrots, onion, celery, parsnip, cabbage, turnip (or any vegi of your choice), a few handfuls of red lentils, depending on the amount of stock left, pepper & salt if needed & bring to boil & simmer well until the vegies are tender & the lentils have incorporated into the soup.  (I usually do mine in the pressure cooker)

A very versitile meal as not only have you a main meal, but you also have a good pot of soup for another & cold corned beef to have in a sandwich with some of Mums cauliflower pickle (recipe posted in preserves)!  yummy
Nothing gets wasted!
Cheers
smile

Likes (0)