Jamie Oliver

forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sun 19 Aug 07 12:12am

slack alice

Member since Sat 18 Aug 07

Conventional v. Convection Ovens - help!

I'm just learning how to cook and am really confused as to which type of oven I should buy. 

I've found Delia Smith's website to be reliable and very useful thusfar, and she espouses conventional ovens, rather than convection ones.  Does anybody know which type Jamie uses or prefers? 

I know that convection (by this I mean fan ovens) require less cooking time and that sounds great - but I've tried using my mum's and I don't like it.  I don't like the fact that you have to modify recipes (re cooking time) and I can never seem to get the balance right.  I make a great lasagne before it has to go into the oven!  Are modern recipe books more geared towards fan ovens? 

I'd really like your opinions and experiences regarding the best type of oven to use!

Sarah.

Likes (0)

#2 Sun 19 Aug 07 12:43am

holeys

Member since Sat 22 Oct 05

Re: Conventional v. Convection Ovens - help!

HI ya, Alice In the house we moved into it has a fan oven im personally used to a gas style one. I noticed the difference with a couple of things like making muffins and shortbread but generally i not had to reduce cooking time. Guess it’s what you used to really if you don't get on with a fan oven stick with the one you like.
Many Morden cooking books generally add fan and gas oven temperatures so don’t have to worry. Cooking books cater for all types of popular ovens.

Likes (0)

#3 Sun 19 Aug 07 2:19am

Cindy

Forum champ
Occupation Registered Nurse
From Adelaide, OZ
Member since Tue 03 Aug 04

If you have already used your mums and don't like it then go for the convention.

Likes (0)

#4 Sun 19 Aug 07 3:38am

bcrain

Forum champ
Occupation Duty Free Lancome and Fragrance sales
From Greater Vancouver
Member since Mon 23 Oct 06

I have both uses in my oven and after using the conventional for years I learned how to adjust to the convection. It only takes a few tries and I rarely use the conventional anymore unless i am using tin foil... convection doesn't like it, I prefer using parchment anyways but thats just my preference. If I could I would switch over to gas anyday but until then I will use convection more than conventional. If you are using convection its useful to use very low or flat baking sheets as the flow can get around everything faster... remember, don't use foil. Good luck!

Likes (0)

#5 Sun 19 Aug 07 5:06am

farnation

Occupation NOC Tech
From Vilonia Arkansas
Member since Sun 29 Jul 07

Both convention and convection ovens use air heated either by gas or an electric burner at the bottom of the chamber to cook food. The main difference is that a convection oven has a fan situated at the back of the oven that circulates the heat.
This allows for the heat to be more quickly and evenly distributed throughout the oven. As a result, food can be cooked more quickly since it's more evenly surrounded by heat. This also allows more food to be put in the oven without concern of any of it being blocked from the heat source. Because of this better heat circulation, convection ovens are considered superior for cooking, especially for roasting.
There has been recent debate about whether convection ovens are better for baking. Some believe the even heat distribution is optimal for baking, whereas others believe the circulating fan actually hinders the sensitive process of rising in baking.
Conventional ovens do not have the circulating fan resulting in an uneven distribution of heat in the chamber. Because hot air rises, the temperature in a conventional oven may vary and force the cook to put food in specific areas of the oven for proper cooking. However, by overcrowding the oven, it would be difficult for heat to reach every area
It does take a bit of used to making the switch kinda like going from an electric stove to a as one.
P.S. I would love to have a convection oven.

Likes (0)

#6 Sun 19 Aug 07 11:25am

slack alice

Member since Sat 18 Aug 07

Thanks for replying people!

Likes (0)

#7 Sun 19 Aug 07 3:30pm

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany
Member since Mon 13 Mar 06

My Mom's has a convection ever since I remember. I really miss it as my current oven is conventional. Some recipes need the conventional (ie. don't work with the circulating air of the convection), but I think in both convection ovens you can choose functions. Just turn the fan off for those recipes. With most recipes you just turn the heat down by about 20°C compared to a conventional. Works fine.
But honestly, if conventional is what you feel comfortable with get one. It's your oven after all wink

Likes (0)

#8 Tue 21 Aug 07 12:53am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Likes (0)