Jamie Oliver

forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sun 19 Aug 07 8:00am

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

Three P's for Ashen-Shugar.. (Peach Pie Preserves)

This is going to be my Sunday project ... recipe follows

I bought a bushel of ammazing Baby Gold peaches today to make canned peach pie filling..

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f13/n … -peach.jpg

*Clear Jel is a specialty thickener for cooked  preserves.. they also have an instant type that can be used without cooking  for fresh fruit pies . In my case i am using Thermflo thickener instead. It has a better stability for temp changes and also gives a clearer product. This will give the preserves a stability to stay thickened after processing and then baking in a pie or cobbler. Luckily i live close to a large population of Mennonites (Amish) and there is a store not to far from the farmers market that carries all these products.*

Link to website that lists other fillings that can be preserved

http://www.ag.ndsu.edu/pubs/yf/foods/fn434w.htm

Peach pie filling
-----------------------------------------------------------
                        Quantities of ingredients
                              needed for
                      ------------------------------------
Ingredient            1 quart              7 quarts
Fresh sliced peaches  3 1/2 cups           6 quarts
Granulated sugar      1 cup                7 cups
Clear Jel             1/4 cup + 1 tbsp.    2 cups + 3 tbsp.
Cold water            3/4 cup              5 1/4 cups
Bottled lemon juice   1/4 cup              1 3/4 cups
Cinnamon (optional)   1/8 tsp.             1 tsp.
Almond extract
  (optional)          1/8 tsp.             1 tsp.

Quality. Select ripe but firm peaches. Red Haven, Redskin, Sun High, and other varieties of similar quality are suitable.

Procedure. Peel peaches. To loosen skins, submerge peaches in boiling water for approximately 30 to 60 seconds and then place in cold water for 20 seconds. Slip off skins and prepare slices 1/2-inch thick. Place slices in water containing 1 teaspoon of ascorbic acid crystals or six 500-milligram vitamin C tablets in 1 gallon of water to prevent browning. For fresh fruit, place 6 cups at a time in 1 gallon of boiling water. Boil each batch 1 minute after the water returns to a boil. Drain but keep heated fruit in a covered bowl or pot. Combine water, sugar, Clear Jel and, if desired, cinnamon and/or almond extract in a large kettle. Stir mixture and cook over medium high heat until mixture thickens and begins to bubble. Add lemon juice and boil 1 minute, stirring constantly. Fold in drained peach slices and continue to heat mixture for 3 minutes. Fill jars without delay, leaving 1 inch headspace. Adjust lids and process immediately.

Only a fool argues with a skunk, a mule or a cook.  { cowboy saying}
    Likes (0)

#2 Sun 19 Aug 07 9:37pm

ellboy

From ell's kitchen
Member since Mon 11 Apr 05

Re: Three P's for Ashen-Shugar.. (Peach Pie Preserves)

i've been planning to make some peach jam following my successful venture into strawberry (back in june) and nispero (back in may).

any tips?

i was just planning on scalding the skins, peeling, chopping, mix with sugar and boil baby boil.

l like to get a bit creative with an added spice tho too. i used star anise with the nisperos and clove with the strawberries (it was fantastic).

so what would go with peaches?

Likes (0)

#3 Thu 23 Aug 07 4:17am

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

sorry folks.. was out of town for a few days at a funeral...

ellboy...the peach pie preserves turned out awesome.. the thermflo thickener is wild stuff, i got kind of concerned when it started thickening..  the only thing i would say is try and judge whether you need the full amount of sugar for the recipe you are using.. if the peaches are sweeter like the ones i used less is better.. i used a full cup less and could have gotten away with less than that even.. the lemon juice is very important though.. using a water bath canner you need the proper acidity level to ensure safe canning. also pay attention to altitude charts. if you live anywhere 1000 ft about sea level you will need longer processing time... If you want to experiment with a jar or two , try a combo of rosemary and vanilla spiceing for the peaches .  It sounded really weird the first time i heard of it , but it works.

Last edited by Ashen (Thu 23 Aug 07 4:19am)

Only a fool argues with a skunk, a mule or a cook.  { cowboy saying}
    Likes (0)

#4 Fri 24 Aug 07 12:28am

ellboy

From ell's kitchen
Member since Mon 11 Apr 05

rosemary and vanilla sounds excellent, i had thought of cardomom too but wasn't convinced, vanilla speaks for itself but the rosemary is quite a surprise.

sounds good, thanks.

Likes (0)