forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Tue 28 Aug 07 11:03pm

DONDURMA

Member since Sun 30 Apr 06

What does Gorgonzola cheese taste like?!

As, you can tell I wonder what it taste like??? All I know is it varies in strength from to exta creamy etc. Is it really salty etc Shrugs!

The kind[I purchased "blue cheese" [Gorgonzola is the italian version as far as I know] b/c couldn't find Gorgonzola at the time it's a nice back up lol] I have [in strength ] is smooth and creamy if I remember correctly! In general, I want to know what it tastes like and according to strength [smooth and creamy] what does it taste like! I figure once I know I would figure out what to serve it with and possibly how much to put in depending on how many people are being served![salad, making a sauce with it etc shrugs]

Last edited by DONDURMA (Wed 29 Aug 07 10:40pm)

Likes (0)

#2 Tue 28 Aug 07 11:09pm

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

Re: What does Gorgonzola cheese taste like?!

There is really only one way to discover what Gorgonzola tastes like, and that is to actually taste it yourself. Someone else's description of taste cannot do justice to the actual flavour, and will give little idea of how to use it.

Likes (0)

#3 Wed 29 Aug 07 2:25am

Cindy

Forum champ
Occupation Registered Nurse
From Adelaide, OZ
Member since Tue 03 Aug 04

Gorgonzola is a type of blue cheese.

It is strong flavoured and has a sweet aftertaste to it. It s very creamy so is better served as a slab with a cheese knife as you cannot cut it into cubes.

I serve it with dried muscatels and other dried fruit, water crackers and thinly sliced pear or apple that has been tossed with a smidgeon of olive oil and lemon juice (just a drop) to prevent discoulouring.

Oh and a bottle of good beer is fantastic with it.

Likes (0)

#4 Wed 29 Aug 07 4:52pm

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Taste: strong blue. Texture: creamy (just as Cindy said).

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#5 Wed 29 Aug 07 10:35pm

DONDURMA

Member since Sun 30 Apr 06

Sweet after taste huh? Phew! Wipes sweat off brow  lol So, I guess since the blue cheese[Gorgonzola is the italian version as far as I know and but "blue cheese" b/c I couldn't find Gorgonzola at the time; I assume it's ok since like I said before it's the italian verison of it!] I purchased is "smooth and creamy" besides the obvious that it's creamy , since you said it's "strong" I take it the ones I purchased[smooth and creamy] means it's realllly sweet?! [according to the chart on the back of the package I believe "smooth and creamy come smack in the middle as far as strength is concerned.

Last edited by DONDURMA (Wed 29 Aug 07 10:42pm)

Likes (0)

#6 Wed 29 Aug 07 10:48pm

osvaldo

Occupation Consultant Engineer
From Curitiba - Brazil
Member since Fri 26 Nov 04

I wonder if we could also find "Umami" flavour in it.
smile

Likes (0)

#7 Wed 29 Aug 07 11:04pm

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

I won't try to describe the flavour... I will only add that you need to buy it from a good cheese seller with a fair amount of turnover,  to truely appreciate it.. if it has been hanging around too long it will overripen and have an ammonia smell / aftertaste that is not pleasant at all.  on the flip side if they sell it too soon and it hasn't ripened enough you won't get the full impact of this cheese.  If you find it and end up liking it i would suggest you try some Taleggio cheese as well.  It is basically gorgonzola without the mold culture.  It is ripened in caves and has a very strong flavour as well.

The Universe is alive and self aware. 
Need proof?
Look in a mirror.
    Likes (0)