Jamie Oliver

forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Wed 05 Sep 07 9:22am

Mrs Gibba

Forum champ
Member since Thu 14 Apr 05

Recipe request: Jool's Favourite Saturday Tuna Pasta thing....

Had a JO recipe a while back, the title was something along the lines of the above.  It was a dead easy pasta meal with a tin of tuna, and some tomatos I think.  I remember enjoying eating it.  Can't find the recipe anywhere, does anyone know what I'm talking about/have it please!!!

Ta muchly
Mrs G

Likes (0)

#2 Wed 05 Sep 07 10:24am

VanHille

Member since Wed 08 Aug 07

Re: Recipe request: Jool's Favourite Saturday Tuna Pasta thing....

Hi Mrs G,
I think the one you mean is in the Cook with Jamie book!
Its with red onion, peppers, cinnamon, basil, tomatoes, tuna, rigatoni or penne, lemonzest and juice and parmesan cheese.

Hope this helps.crossed
VanHille

Likes (0)

#3 Wed 05 Sep 07 4:05pm

Mrs Gibba

Forum champ

Nope, it wasn't that one.  It must be from an early book, cos I just printed a page from a website with it on (either this one or the BBC) - I don'thave the early books.

Likes (0)

#4 Wed 05 Sep 07 4:12pm

Mrs Gibba

Forum champ

OK, so I found through Google.

Jools’ favourite Saturday afternoon pasta

This is Jools’ favourite quick Saturday afternoon pasta. Every time I make it, even though it only uses a tiny fraction of my brain and takes a few minutes in the pan, she seems to be really impressed with it, so on that basis I decided to put it in this book.

PS If you’re going to make this, treat yourself and buy some good-quality jarred tuna - it makes all the difference. And if you can find any fennel tops, they’re great stirred in with the tomatoes.

Serves 4

olive oil
1 red onion, peeled and finely chopped
1 - 2 fresh red chillies, deseeded and finely chopped
1 level teaspoon ground cinnamon
a bunch of fresh basil, leaves picked, stalks chopped
2 x 400g tins good-quality plum tomatoes
2 x 300g jars good-quality tuna in olive oil, drained and flaked
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
500g /1 lb 2oz good-quality rigatoni or penne
zest and juice of 1 - 2 lemons
a small handful of freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Heat a splash of olive oil in a heavy-bottomed pan and cook the onion, chilli, cinnamon and basil stalks on a medium to low heat for 5 minutes until the onion has softened and is slightly sweet. Turn up the heat and add your tomatoes, tuna and a good pinch of salt. Break the tomatoes up using the back of a spoon, then bring to the boil and simmer for about 20 minutes. Taste for seasoning.
Meanwhile, cook the rigatoni in a pan of salted boiling water according to the packet instructions. When al dente, drain the pasta in a colander, reserving some of the cooking water. Toss the pasta into the tuna and tomato sauce with the roughIy torn basil leaves, a glug of olive oil, the lemon zest and juice and Parmesan and mix together weIl. Loosen the pasta with a little of the reserved cooking water if needed. Check the seasoning and serve immediately.

Matt’s wine suggestion: Italian red - Dolcetto

VanHille - I think I owe you an apology - didn't spot it when I checked there....  oops

Likes (0)

#5 Thu 06 Sep 07 12:34pm

VanHille

Member since Wed 08 Aug 07

No problemo; glad you found it....
I agree with Jools: it's  yummy

VanHille

Likes (0)

#6 Thu 06 Sep 07 4:11pm

Gadge

Member since Wed 05 Sep 07

Heres a nice variant on that recipe which produces a drier finish due to less toms.

Lightly fry a couple of preserved jar or tin anchovies in Olive Oil. They will basically melt into the oil.

Then add some rough chopped garlic and a chopped chilli deseeded.
A twist or tow of black pepper (probably no salt needed as plenty in the anchovy)

Add two or three at most medium sized chopped Toms. a good tablespoon of capers. A tin of tuna lightly separated.

Lastly add a glass of dry or medium white wine and a good bunch of fresh basil chopped up. Let the alcohol burn off. Add a little pasta liquid if too dry.

When Pasta is cooked to your liking place in a collander. Reserve some liquid. Drain under cold water. Add a kettle of boiling water just before serving. let drain briefly then add to sauce. Toss and serve.
Don't put any cheese on it!!!!   Its fish

Last edited by Gadge (Thu 06 Sep 07 5:19pm)

Likes (0)