forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Fri 14 Sep 07 5:26pm

Maree

Forum champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Diary of sourdough- from starter to a baked loaf

Adapted from Jamie's "Happy Days" recipe.

Thursday: re-read the recipe,

checked that i had organic rye flour (yep); Jamie doesn't mention it (not a criticism- perhaps the London/Essex water is purer than Sydney's- drought to torential tropical storm with hail this arvo) but check I have fresh spring water (yep).At least the bread wont taste of chlorine like the tap water.

He calls for a bowl to later be covered in cling wrap. Usually use Le Parfait jars, but they are such a pain to clean properly before they get to the dishwasher.

Plan to check out options at the supermarket tomorrow. Want to get the starter "started" on Saturday before i have to leave for Farmers' and Growers' Markets.

Friday: Find 2l/2q jug with lid (with stirring hole) but with measurements up the side. Buy it. Prefer glass to plastic but figure covered jug will only be used for starters. Buy another for leftover "levain" (starter).

Markets closed tomorrow (Sat) due to rain. Good. Can start the starter in the morning.

To be continued....

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#2 Sat 15 Sep 07 2:24am

Cindy

Forum champ
Occupation Registered Nurse
From Adelaide, OZ
Member since Tue 03 Aug 04

Re: Diary of sourdough- from starter to a baked loaf

Marree - why don't you take photos and start a blog for this?

It would be great for others who are not experienced in this sort of thing to see and understand what is happening.

Likes (0)

#3 Sat 15 Sep 07 3:27am

Maree

Forum champ

Cindy, did cross my mind. Do have a digital camera but have no idea where to start. As for creating a blog, how the hell do I do that?

OK, markets up the Hunter have been cancelled but have been asked to fill in for afternoon markets today (Sat) and tomorrow.

How's about I charge up the digital camera, bribe s'one in the family to take shots of the various stages and then take it from there with advice from the experts we have on board re actually doing something (such as how do I convert the info and the photos into a blog/ and how the hell do I create a blog?)

Cindy, your encouragement and positive comments mean a lot to a relative "newby".

Thanks, friend. Will charge the camera now before I head off to the market so the start-up phase is ready to be recorded when I get home.

Maree smile

Likes (0)

#4 Sat 15 Sep 07 3:41am

Maree

Forum champ

Cindy, have just realised that if I'm getting a family member to take photos, will have to somehow clean the windows (haven't been allowed to do that for 4-5 years), clear the window sill of assorted vitamins -not a good place to keep, anyway), and get really hard and (not really dirty) on the terribly attractive 70's spashback. Spring cleaning, here i come smile

Likes (0)

#5 Sat 15 Sep 07 4:20am

farnation

Occupation NOC Tech
From Vilonia Arkansas
Member since Sun 29 Jul 07

Geat post!!  keep it up maree

Likes (0)

#6 Sat 15 Sep 07 5:33am

kimber

Forum champ
Occupation Mom and TKD Red Stripe
From Alberta
Member since Sat 24 Jun 06

Maree - there is a "blogspot" on the Jamie at Home page.  As far as I know (and that is not far at all lol ) if you are registered for the forum all you need to do is start "blogging".  I will check in tomorrow and see how you progress - Good luck with the sour dough and the blog! thumbsup

Edit : Here is where you need to be - http://www.jamieoliver.com/jamieathome/bloggers/

Last edited by kimber (Sat 15 Sep 07 5:41am)

Likes (0)

#7 Sat 15 Sep 07 8:52am

Maree

Forum champ

Thanks, guys. So, do I copy and paste what I've done so far over to there or what?

Likes (0)

#8 Sat 15 Sep 07 9:22am

Maree

Forum champ

Saturday 5.30pm"ish".

OK, back from the markets.

Surrounded by JO's Happy Days and two bread books- "World Sourdoughs from Antiquity: Authentic recipes for modern bakers" (Woods) and "The Village Baker;Classic Regional Breads from Europe and America" (Ortiz).

'K. Jamie starts off with 500g of organic rye flour. Ortiz starts off with 1/4-1/3 cup of white flour and 1-2 tabs of water (or "enough to make a firm dough").

Some simple maths has me measuring out 480g of rye flour and 180ml filtered water.

The water:flour ratio is, as anyone who has ever made any type of bread "fluid"/not absolute. It depends on many things, some being the flour itself, the ambient temperature, the ambient humidity and altitude. So, in other words, it varies. Play it by ear, or more accurately by touch and sight.

Was going to be terribly "artisan" and do this by hand but am tired and running late. Aren't we all?

So decided to record what I "actually" did. Figure it's what most of us would do. Drag out the "old faithful" Magimix. Fit the dough (white plastic) "blade and dump in the 480g of rye flour.

Start the machine and add the water a bit at a time (like making mayo) through the food tube while the motor is running. Have measured out 180ml. End up using more like 190 until a firm dough is achieved.

Give it a gentle, brief knead. Believe that dough likes the "human hands-on touch". Also gives me a better idea of whether the dough is of the right consistency.

Transfer into my container and sit it outside to catch the last of the sun's rays for an hour uncovered.

Bring it inside and cover. Leave on top of the tv - a warm place. Not chilly enough to have the heater on. Not expecting anyone tonight. The family are used to my weird bread-making routines, which have included tucking the container of dough into bed in the middle of Winter with the electric blanket on low, wrapped in a thick towel or light rug.

... To be continued.

Last edited by Maree-in-Sydney (Sat 15 Sep 07 1:34pm)

Likes (0)

#9 Sat 15 Sep 07 4:13pm

Cindy

Forum champ
Occupation Registered Nurse
From Adelaide, OZ
Member since Tue 03 Aug 04

Maree just have a quick look at what I have done in mine - I keep it pretty short and give a brief explanation.

All you do is type in what you want to say.

To add a picture to the post you click on 'choose file'. I have a mac so it may be different on a PC but a window will open and you find the photo you want to post and  click on it to choose it. You then click choose and the window should  close.

After you have checked this you just click submit and it will all upload. You can go back and edit if you want or need to.

One hint - if you are making a number of posts and photos type what you want to say in word etc and plan where you will have your photos etc.

Also - Blogs work backwards (if that makes sense) in that the most recent post will always be at the top. If you are planning on doing  something as a step by step guide/recipe etc, like my potato or flowers post (see my blog)
http://www.jamieoliver.com/blogger/cindy
it is best to type it all out and when you come to putting it in the blog work backwards with the last of the posts and pictures added first so people can just scroll down to read and understand it.

eg in my potato blog - the very first post I added was the photo of OG and the cat, the next was the one that was above it and I kept going, working from the bottom of what I had written until I got to the first paragraph.

I hope that all made sense.

Last edited by Cindy (Sat 15 Sep 07 4:14pm)

Likes (0)

#10 Sat 15 Sep 07 4:24pm

Maree

Forum champ

Cindy, am still PC-less and using my BlackBerry for everything.

Will have a play around tomorrow after the markets.

Thanks for your tips. I was always a Mac person (1985) but as others in the family started getting computers and the software programs for PCs were more available etc, I changed over in '97. Remember in '95 when Windows 95 was released, was discussing it with another Mac colleague and said couldn't understand the hype and excitement. Was still less user-friendly than the Mac.

One thing, what do I do with the stuff I have already posted here? Can I copy and paste or do I have to re-type?

Anyway, will have a play around tomorrow evening smile

Likes (0)