Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sat 15 Sep 07 4:22am

MichelleCarlos

Occupation Digital Colourist
From Makati, Philippines
Member since Mon 13 Aug 07

Knob of butter

Hello, everyone!

Can anyone give me the US equivalent or metric measurement of a knob of butter please? Is this the same as a stick of butter?

It's very confusing especially when I got a few facts from the net about a stick of butter = 110g = 4oz as supposed to another one that is 1 stick of butter = 60g = quarter of a cup.

Thanks a bunch!

Likes (0)

#2 Sat 15 Sep 07 4:39am

farnation

Occupation NOC Tech
From Vilonia Arkansas
Member since Sun 29 Jul 07

Re: Knob of butter

How much is a "knob of butter?"   How much do you want it to be?

Certainly more than a dash, and well more than a pinch — neither of which seems the best way to measure butter, in any event.

More to the point, a knob of butter is a British term denoting some butter, and its use is sadly declining as zealous editors force more precision and science into our recipes and cookbooks. Even the loosest British cooks (and I mean that in the nicest way) might get away with telling you to add a knob of butter on a television program. But when their cookbooks are published in the States, you can bet someone will have translated all those knobs into precise measurements.

In my experience, a knob of butter is a couple tablespoons, more or less.

Hope this helps and welcome to the Forums

P.S. Jamie has been doing this for a quite a while and he is pretty good at it rest assured that if it was critical to the recipe he will give a precise amount. so just have fun with it and try not to worry too much about getting it just exacty right.

Last edited by farnation (Sat 15 Sep 07 4:49am)

Likes (0)

#3 Sat 15 Sep 07 5:17am

MichelleCarlos

Occupation Digital Colourist
From Makati, Philippines
Member since Mon 13 Aug 07

Thanks, farnation!  smile

Likes (0)

#4 Sat 15 Sep 07 5:31am

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

A knob of butter is about a heaped tablespoon, or about the same size as you would pick up between three fingers and a thumb.

A knob of butter is defined as an isosceles right-angled tetrahedron whose adjacent is equal to half the height of the block of butter smile

Likes (0)

#5 Mon 17 Sep 07 3:26pm

farnation

Occupation NOC Tech
From Vilonia Arkansas

Confused yet?
Maybe this will help US and UK tablespoons and teaspoons a not the same.
1 tablespoon [UK] = 1.2503332 tablespoon [US] so a heaping tablespoon [UK] is very close to 2 tablespoons [US]
Just keep in mind that it’s an intentionally rough measurement so more or less is ok.

http://www.onlineconversion.com/cooking_butter.htm
this link will help to convert them for you. Good luck

Likes (0)

#6 Mon 17 Sep 07 5:55pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

GeoffP wrote:

A knob of butter is defined as an isosceles right-angled tetrahedron whose adjacent is equal to half the height of the block of butter smile

I always think of a knob of butter as being about the size of a smallish walnut.

This thread might be of help. The earlier postings were sensible.
(I am afraid that I am guilty of causing the chaos that it ended up in  lol )
http://www.jamieoliver.com/forum/viewto … 18&p=1

Likes (0)

#7 Sat 22 Sep 07 4:42pm

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Isn't English a wonderful language! In British recipes, I assume a "knob" of butter to be a rounded European tablespoon- roughly walnut sized 15ml.

The US "stick" of butter always gets me. I had believed it to be approx 125g/approx 4oz.

And I thought that UK,US,European tablespoons were 15ml, unlike an Australian tablespoon which is 20ml.

Confused. Decide to carry on as before. Cake baking is the main area where precise measurements are necessary. Don't make cakes appart from family bithdays and Christmas. Have managed thus far. Will continue on.

How much does a US stick of butter weigh? Can't help myself wink

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#8 Sat 22 Sep 07 4:57pm

stuvik

Occupation IT - Programmer
Member since Tue 22 May 07

Hmm...I always used the 50g markings on the packet, which equates to about 1 and a bit tablespoons...then I'd cut that 'knob' into quarters and add each quarter as needed.

Last edited by stuvik (Sat 22 Sep 07 5:00pm)

Likes (0)

#9 Sat 22 Sep 07 4:58pm

Maree

Forum super champ
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Hi Sabs, just joined this discussion. *I* am talking butter (ie from animals) not a butter substitute.

Looking at the people who have posted, I'd think that they were talking about "real" butter, too.

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#10 Sat 22 Sep 07 5:58pm

farnation

Occupation NOC Tech
From Vilonia Arkansas

US Sticks of butter are a bit easier to get your head around if you think of it as a one 1/2 pound of butter cut in half lenthwise more or less.

Last edited by farnation (Sun 23 Sep 07 1:32am)

Likes (0)