forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sun 16 Sep 07 1:16pm

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Potato bake help...need a reliable recipe

I've had two attempts at potato bakes (you know, with cheese and cream, the kind you have at a bbq) and they have both gone runny. Does anyone have a reliable recipe that makes it creamy and cheesy without that?

Likes (0)

#2 Sun 16 Sep 07 3:31pm

mrslawlor

Occupation Office Manager
From Ireland
Member since Sat 23 Jun 07

Re: Potato bake help...need a reliable recipe

I boil my potatoes first, then slice them, season them and layer then in the bowl, then I mix grated cheese and cream/milk and pour over the potatoes, allow to sit for a while and then pop in the oven.  Am sure this would work just aswell with a tin foil bag and do the same thing and pop on the bbq- must try it actually yummy

Likes (0)

#3 Mon 17 Sep 07 2:39am

farnation

Occupation NOC Tech
From Vilonia Arkansas
Member since Sun 29 Jul 07

are we talking about potatoes au gratin? if so heres a tried and true recipe i use.(if not sorry)

4 russet potatoes, sliced into 1/4 inch slices
1 onion, sliced into rings
salt and pepper to taste
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups milk
1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Butter a 1 quart casserole dish.
Layer 1/2 of the potatoes into bottom of the prepared casserole dish. Top with the onion slices, and add the remaining potatoes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
In a medium-size saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Mix in the flour and salt, and stir constantly with a whisk for one minute. Stir in milk. Cook until mixture has thickened. Stir in cheese all at once, and continue stirring until melted, about 30 to 60 seconds. Pour cheese over the potatoes, and cover the dish with aluminum foil.
Bake 1 1/2 hours in the preheated oven.

hope it helps good luck rabbit

Likes (0)

#4 Mon 17 Sep 07 3:20am

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

it depends allot of the type of potato you use.. new  potatoes wouldn't have as much starch as a floury type potato (russet or burbank) so don't have as much thickening power..    You might want to consider fine grating (smallest holes on a box grater)  1 of them to mix with the liquid content of the dish.... slice and layer the rest but use the grated potato to give a thickening boost.   This is a tip i found out about a few yrs ago for thickening chowders instead of adding cornstarch.  It works very well.

If you like to parboil your taters first, consider slow simmering them in the milk and cream instead.. once they are par cooked .. slice em and then you can use the leftover milk/cream mixture for the recipe.   i can pretty much guarantee that you won't end up with anything runny.  You will need to keep a close eye on the taters when they are simmering in the milk/cream.. It is not something you can really walk away from, as milk/cream  burn easily

Only a fool argues with a skunk, a mule or a cook.  { cowboy saying}
    Likes (0)

#5 Mon 17 Sep 07 3:42am

zippets

Occupation Mum
From Perth, Western Australia
Member since Thu 09 Aug 07

These recipes are from a previous post
smile

From Zippets: POTATO BAKE

Spuds - skin on or off - depending on how you like it - but thinly sliced
Cream - or milk if you dont want it as rich but cream is nicer
Bacon - cooked until crisp & as much as you like to your taste
Cheddar cheese - grated & as much as you like to your taste
Packet French Onion Soup

Layer a baking dish or rectangle casserole with some potato, sprinkle with a little of the soup, cheese & bacon & pour over a little of the cream.
Repeat this process until all ingredients are used up, ending with the bacon, cheese & cream on the top. (dont over fill tho as the cream or milk does bubble up whilst cooking)
Bake in a moderate oven a good hour or until the spuds are cooked.
** I have also used layers of Kumera (yellow sweet potato), sweet potato (white with purple skin) & pumkin (butternut) mixed in with the normal potato layers**
If you do not have FO Soup (like i did one day) then any packet soup will do as the different flavours are nice to experiment with & if you have no packets then just some sauteed onions are fine or none at all!   
A good one & great for BBQ's as you can make this a big or as small a quantity as you like.  You can also add so many things to make it interesting (like mushrooms) or just keep it plain & simple.

From Cindy:  AIRPORT POTATOES
This is a great recipe from Jill Dupleix, she got it from Rome Airport. It is delicious.

1kg all purpose potatoes peeled
1 tb olive oil for the pan
sea salt and pepper
400g can chopped tomatoes
2 tbextra virgin olive oil
2 garlic cloves crushed
1/2 tsp dried oregano*
1tb salted capers rinsed well of all salt.
2 tb roughly chopped parsley
200g punnet cherry tomatoes.

Heat the oven to 190/gas 5. finely slice the potatoes (about 1/2 cm) and roughly layer over the base of an oiled roasted pan. Add 250ml water, season with salt and pepper, than cover the pan with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
Combine the canned tomatoes with the extra virgin olive oil, garlic, oregano, capers, half the chopped parsley, and sea salt and pepper.
Remove the foil, and pour the tomato mixture over the potatoes.
Cut the cherry tomatoes in half and scatter on top.
Bake for a further30 mins until the potatoes are tender and starting to crisp at the edges. Scatter with the remainingchopped parsley and serve.

*I have heaps of fresh oregano in my garden and use about 1 tbs of this as I love to use fresh herbs.
From "good cooking : the new essentials. Jill Dupleix
From Venus: Aloo Palak

Ingredients
500g Royal Blue potatoes peeled, cut into 1cm cubes
250g frozen spinach, defrosted
1 onion, finely chopped
2 tspn mild curry paste (Pateks or similar)
1 x 400g tin coconut milk
Salt and pepper

Method
Boil or microwave potatoes until just tender, drain and set aside.
Brush frypan with oil and fry the onion until translucent.
Add the curry paste, fry for 1 minute then add the coconut milk.
Bring to the boil and add cubed potatoes, spinach, salt and pepper.
Simmer for 10 minutes. Serve with your favourite meat or chicken curry.

Chilli Potato Cubes

Ingredients
800g potatoes, peeled and cubed
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tblspn paprika
2 tblspn sweet chilli sauce
1 tblspn olive oil
1 tblspn chopped parsley

Method
Place garlic, paprika, chilli sauce and olive oil into a dish.
Cover and microwave on high for 1 minute.
Stir in potato cubes.
Cover and microwave on high for 10 minutes, stirring half way through cooking.
Sprinkle with parsley.

Serve warm with meat or salad. This dish can also be made into a salad by adding 1 cup cooked peas or chickpeas and sliced Lebanese cucumber.

Algerian Potatoes

Ingredients
2 tblspn olive oil
1/2 cup tomato puree
12 cardamom pods
2 cups liquid beef stock
1.5kg potatoes, peeled and cut into thick slices
5 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
3 tblspn tomato paste
1 tspn chilli flakes
Salt to taste

Method
Heat the oil in a large, lidded frying pan.
Add the potatoes, garlic, tomato puree, tomato paste, cardamom pods, chilli flakes and salt, fold together well.
Add the stock and bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes until the water has been absorbed and the potatoes are soft.
From AndyJ:
I just boil up some new potatoes, drain and put in a bowl, add a few spoonfulls of cream cheese and a handful of finely chopped fresh mint and stir up...delicious, quick and simple. You could add some finely shopped pancetta or crispy bacon and some finely sliced onion to that too if you want.

Or, i get some baby potatoes...and cut some in half. Put them in a roasting tray, drizzle with olive oil and runny honey and roast in the oven until cooked, giving them a couple of good shakes during cooking to make sure the spuds are coated in honey/oil.  You can par boil the spuds for 8 minutes first if you want. Usually take about half an hour to cook at 200.
From Anna:
Peel and slice 1kg potatoes, you want them about as thick as pound coins.  Pop them in a saucepan with a good knob of butter, a peeled and halved onion, two or three cloves of garlic, peeled and squashed, pepper, a good grating of nutmeg and a bit of salt.  Pour over 1 pint cream and a little water to just cover, otherwise use full-cream milk.  Bring to a gentle simmer and cook for about 15 minutes until they're about three-quarters done.  Pour into a buttered dish, cover with grated cheese and pop in the oven for another 15-20 minutes until golden and bubbling.  Absolutely delicious with steak and a green salad, or as a side dish for anything really!   
From Maree-in-Sydney:
Pre-heat oven to 210C. Add a heavy (I use cast iron baking dish). Meanwhile,peel the potatoes (I usually allow 2-2 1/2 per person. Nuke them until they are parboiled or use a saucepan.

Remove from microwave/saucepan and drain. Alow to cool so you don't burn yourself.while this is happening, very finely chop garlic, rosemary, thyme and add some lemon zest, salt and pepper to a large bowl with a good glug of oil (2-3 tabs) and half to a full lemon's worth of juice. Feel free to add Spanish paprika or what ever goes with "mains".

At this stage, I put on those dispos' gloves. Cut potatoes into wedges and add to bowl. Use your hands to mix and toss. When happy with the result, remove disp gloves, and use a kitchen mit (whatever) to remove hot pan. Carefully pour bowl ingredients into pan (away from your face as it will splatter). Use tongs or a spatula to toss again.

Pop it back into the oven (tossing every 10-15 mins) for 30-45 minutes- depends on your oven, the potatoes and the par-boiling.

Remove from oven, use a slotted spatula to place on kitchen paper to drain the excess oil. Crispy bits which adhere to pan should be "cook's treat" but share them around.

Potato wedges Should be crispy on the outside, tender on the inside.

Enjoy with extra ground rock salt and your mains

From Zippets:
Gosh my mouth is absolutely watering from all these fantastic recipes   
I cant wait to try them, just which one first!!   
Here is my little bit to add to them all - a recipe my darlin Sis makes & my boys just love them!  Just gotta remember what she does now     so apologise for no quantities!

Spuds (of course!)
Bacon - finely diced
Onion - finely diced
Fresh parsley - finely diced
Mayonaise
Cheddar cheese - grated
*prepared mustard (I use Dijon) - Optional*

Bake the potatoes in the oven until done, remove then cut them half.
Scoop out the flesh & mash, leaving a good potato shell for refilling (like a stuffed spud).
Cook the bacon until crisp, drain off some of the fat if there is a lot, then in the same pan saute the onion.
Mix the bacon, onion, cheese, parsley & mayonaise into the mashed spud.
Refill each potato shell with this mix, sprinkle with a little grated cheese and bake again until the top is nice & browned.  You can prepare these earlier and keep in the fridge for the final bake when needed.

*I also microwave my potatoes but scooping is a tad harder without breaking the shell so you have to be careful.  I also have added sour cream to the mashed spud as well, sometimes even a bit of butter.
Basically I think you could add anything but my boys just like the simple version!
Enjoy

Likes (0)

#6 Wed 19 Sep 07 1:02pm

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia

Thanks guys, I'll try those.

Likes (0)

#7 Sun 09 Jun 13 3:20am

bart687

Member since Thu 06 Jun 13

Hi everyone,

I am sure this is one of Jamie's first recipes as this is the Potato Bake I have been after but have not found it on his web site ( meaning) his recipes. smile

Likes (0)

#8 Sun 09 Jun 13 6:06am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia

Since this has been brought up. I ended up using a recipe from the Silver Spoon. It's now the one I use all the time.

Likes (0)

#9 Sun 09 Jun 13 12:43pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Here's the 30 Minute Meals Potato Dauphinoise dish:
http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/chic … t-affogato

I tried to 'search' several ways on the site and the problem is they don't have enough search terms so it's kind of a crap shot, much easier to search via Google.

Last edited by MsPablo (Sun 09 Jun 13 1:06pm)

Likes (0)

#10 Sun 09 Jun 13 3:24pm

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia

We can say crap now. Excellent! And I agree on the search thing.

Likes (0)