#31 Wed 26 Sep 07 4:14am

bcrain

Forum champ
Occupation Duty Free Lancome and Fragrance sales
From Greater Vancouver
Member since Mon 23 Oct 06

Re: Your Kitchen...

Anna, go with Roman blinds!

I am thinking of making my own headboard but need a good point by point source.. any suggestions?

Likes (0)

#32 Wed 26 Sep 07 3:18pm

Anna

Forum champ
From Switzerland
Member since Fri 15 Apr 05

Alex, I know, I know.  Problem is, I bought all those things when I WAS out, so maybe I should stay in more.

Likes (0)

#33 Wed 26 Sep 07 5:16pm

Alex G

Forum champ
Occupation Student/Commis chef
From Brighton/ Bournemouth
Member since Sat 29 Oct 05

Catch 22 then   big_smile

Likes (0)

#34 Wed 26 Sep 07 8:36pm

Eilen

Forum champ
From Oregon
Member since Fri 23 Sep 05

Anna,  you get your mom to do it for you! mrgreen

I've only ever used Stitch Witch, which turned out to be a waste of money, as the seams fall apart in the wash.  I have a sewing machine, but learning how to use it is low on my list of priorities.

I love those old scales--I have a new one that looks like it's an old one.  I use it for "lazily" measuring ingredients, when the weight doesn't matter too much.

Likes (0)

#35 Wed 26 Sep 07 8:45pm

Eilen

Forum champ
From Oregon
Member since Fri 23 Sep 05

bcrain, I love the Roman blinds!  I want them for just about every other room besides the kitchen.  These here are really inexpensive, but I don't know about the quality:
http://www.pearlriver.com/v2/sub_windows.html

Check marthastewart.com for headboard ideas--you mean for your bed, right?  I know I've seen a few projects on there, one involving a fabric-covered foam core, another where you simply wallpaper the shape of a headboard on the wall.

Likes (0)

#36 Thu 27 Sep 07 4:13am

bcrain

Forum champ
From Greater Vancouver

Thanks, Eilen, I will! I have a ton of linen I need to use up, maybe I have enough for a headboard. Yes, I do mean for the bed. smile

I know Linen N Things have roman blinds and so do Home Depot... but they are expensive depending on the size of your windows. I think the show Trading Places or Spaces used to show on their site how to do it, but I dont know if they still do? If you are handy with fabric and all that it's not supposed to be that hard. I wouldn't want them for my kitchen either, especially with children.

Likes (0)

#37 Thu 27 Sep 07 5:26am

kimber

Forum champ
Occupation Mom and TKD Red Stripe
From Alberta
Member since Sat 24 Jun 06

We re-did our kitchen when we moved in 18 months ago.  We replaced all the flooring on the main floor with oak hardwood {and we did all ourselves - it took us 5 14-hour days} and the only thing we did extra in the kitchen was to glue each strip so as to provide a water barrier {good thing as the dishwasher leaked the first time we ran it! lol }  Hubby installed  5" x 5" slate backsplash on a diagonal and a slate toekick.  All the cabinetry is oak.  We had granite counter tops installed with undercounter sinks and the renovation was complete. I have double ovens and a french door refridgerator with a bottom freezer.  Center island with a raised eating bar and a corner pantry with a frosted glass door.  There is a small dinette off the kitchen and the kitchen is open to the family room.  I love my kitchen - well, all of my house actually!  I try to remember to tell hubby that quite regularly - he put a lot of work into it!! wink

Likes (0)

#38 Tue 13 Nov 07 8:47pm

itsmarie

Forum champ
Occupation Experimental learning
From Surrey UK
Member since Sat 18 Aug 07

Well i thought i would bump this one up again as i bought some blackboard paint today to paint a small square on my kitchen wall, but i kind of got a bit carried away and ened up painting a whole wall, but it look's really good, im going to paint my own pub menu style board with most of my familys favs and a smoothie menu too, its in design stage now but i also want some funny food slogans, any suggestions?

Likes (0)

#39 Thu 27 Dec 07 12:36am

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

Our kitchen down here in La France Profonde is simpler than at home, but still adequate (especially for a second home).

The house is old - bits of it date back to the 14th century, and its built against the ancient town defensive wall. Over the centuries, like Topsy, it just growed. No two walls meet at right angles, and none are the same length (orheight!). The floors slope an dip, and the ceilngs vary in height. Walls vary in thickness from 2' 6" to something over 5'. Every window is a different size, and the doors are anything from 5' 5" to 7' high, and all different widths.

Walls are painted, mostly lime washed, and all a bit rough.

The kitchen is about 15' on one side, 12' on the opposite side, with the other two facing walls 14' and 10' respectively.

Fitting kitchen units took quite an effort, and, although they all look "of a piece" we had to have the doors and units made to order in beech.

Starting at the entrance door,and running clockwise, there is a short wall, with just  bookshelf, and TV, hifi etc. above, then the door into the lounge,

Next, a wall with cupboard below for wood for the fire, and a wine-rack above. Now a rustic fireplace (woodburning), then a setback to the first low cupboard, which contains the gas bottle for the cooker. Then the cooker - just four burners, with oven, grill and rotisserie below. Now comes a wide cupboard, a narrow cupboard, and a 45 degree angled corner cupboard, and the next corner. Inset into the corner is a two foot deep alcove with a tiny window where there used to be a door (blocked in the 18th C).

Along the back wall, a run of cupboards below, with wall cupboards above, terminating in a fridge/freezer and a washing machine. Finally, on that wall, a sink setback into a 2' deep alcove with a tiny window above where there was another door, blocked around 1700.

The wall now turns to run back towards the entrance, but first there is a door into the "coin d'eau" added in the 19th C, which now contains a shower and toilet. Then comes a door (7' high) to the staircase leading up, followed by a window, set 3' back into the wall (4' thick at this point). followed by a short run of wall, with only a floor to ceiling narrow cupboard containing the incoming electrics etc., and finally a turn to the entrance door,

In the centre of the room is round table, big enough for 8, with a light and "tropical" fan above. The ceiling is croseed by two massive wooden beams holding up the floor above, while the floor is finished with brown terra-cotta tiles.

We re-finished the kitchen a couple of years ago, and the shower/toilet "coin d'eau" last year, both to my design.

Outside the entrance door is the terrace (I enlarged that too), which varies in width from 10' near the door, to 5' at the far end - its about 16' long. The terrace looks over and overhangs the street below, and is approached from there by a steep stone stairway. Below the terrace is a cave (celar) for wine with a vaulted roof. The street is only 6' wide at this point, and slopes steeply down, narrowing to just 3' the bottom, with the houses sloping in above until the almost touch.

I hesitate to even try to describe the rest of the house layout - it took days to do the measurements for the plans and drawings! Suffice to say that it is "complicated", and has another three "caves" below, with a roofline above which defies all logic (but it works).

Last edited by GeoffP (Thu 27 Dec 07 12:45am)

Likes (0)

#40 Thu 27 Dec 07 12:51am

bcrain

Forum champ
From Greater Vancouver

How did you manage to find out so much history behind your place? I used to live in an old stone house in Eygalieres, really pretty cottage. I love houses like that. Hope you are enjoying your holidays there!

Likes (0)