forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Mon 01 Oct 07 10:44pm

er.homcharl0tte

Member since Mon 01 Oct 07

vietnamese river cobbler!

I saw it today and as my kids eat fish I thought I would try something different. Never heard of it and do not know what to do with it!! Any ideas??? help

Likes (0)

#2 Tue 02 Oct 07 11:58am

hayleylady

Member since Tue 02 Oct 07

Re: vietnamese river cobbler!

I have just bought some also and have just found this recipe which I am going to try this week.

Baked river cobbler fillets:
Pour a little olive oil on the bottom of a baking dish. Arrange the fish fillets side by side. Squeeze half a lemon over the fish fillets then top them with onion leaves cut into 2-inch lengths, finely sliced onions, crushed garlic, some basil and cilantro leaves and some lemon zest. Sprinkle with salt (herbed salt, if you have it) and ground pepper. Pour in more olive oil. Cover the baking dish with foil, leaving a corner open to allow steam to escape. Bake in a 180oC oven for 20-30 minutes.

Likes (0)

#3 Tue 02 Oct 07 9:48pm

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

It is starting to become available in UK supermarkets, buy I worry about the food air miles.

The "official" name is Pangasius, and it is claimed as a sustainable freshwater fish raised in "fishfarms" in Vietnam,where it isa cheap white fish.

From what I have seen, it is sold at a premium price (perhapsbecause of the air miles it has flown. From reports its a quite bland flavour - I haven't tried it myself.

Likes (0)

#4 Wed 03 Oct 07 3:11am

Cindy

Forum champ
Occupation Registered Nurse
From Adelaide, OZ
Member since Tue 03 Aug 04

There has been a bit of a debate here in Oz about this fish. Mostly about the conditions these fish are grown in  with  the high levels of pollutants, heavy metals, insecticides etc in the water. So much so, you don't see it much in the shops.

Why buy a really expensive imported, frozen product when you can probably get something better that is fresh and locally caught. Here, there are new laws in place where the fishmongers etc have to state whether the fish is local or imported.

Likes (0)

#5 Fri 05 Oct 07 2:13pm

er.homcharl0tte

Member since Mon 01 Oct 07

thank you for all your comments thumbsup

Likes (0)

#6 Sat 06 Oct 07 11:19am

elhousemartin

Occupation Design, Interiors
From Warfield, Berks
Member since Fri 07 Sep 07

I agree GeoffP! The air miles these fish travel is really not worth the un-exciting flavour/texture (or lack thereof) of this insipid fish. We have so many wonderful fish available in these Isles that it simply isn't necessary to buy from these far-flung locations.
More and more, as consumers, we need to look at the air miles displayed on packages, ask our butchers, green grocers and fish mongers about the origin and sustainability of their produce. Generally they'll be happy to tell you.
I just moved back to the UK after 20 years in the US, where most grocery stores don't have these answers or customers who care to ask. We are lucky that this information is available and lucky that increasingly more consumers make their menus based on these ethics.
*And I step down from my soapbox*  yikes
yikes

Likes (0)

#7 Sun 13 Jan 08 8:47pm

Bluminati

Member since Sun 13 Jan 08

today we tried river cobbler baked with dill & garlic butter & it was far from bland. The fish was beautifully moist & meaty and really took on the flavours of the dill & garlic.

However as i like to know where my food comes from I looked it up & have some concerns about the conditions the fish are farmed in regarding pollutants etc. The fact that it has travelled so far is reason enough for me not to buy as we dont buy anything that has to be flown to the uk (unless by mistake) & we wont be buying it again for that reason.

shame really as it was delicious but you can acheive the same kind of thing with fish local to the uk

Likes (0)

#8 Tue 05 Feb 08 10:51pm

T@FARMAGEDDON

Member since Tue 05 Feb 08

I was very excited today when a friend told me that they sell Vietnamese cobbler fish at Tesco(although I prefer to avoid supermarkets) but as I have travelled Vietnam and soon to return it was of interest.I tried razor clam this week and recently ate a pate made from my sisters placenta and am on a mission to eat anything I have never experienced before (within reason) after reading an article on said fish tonight I think I will decline the cobbler fish as it seems to be a replacement for the supermarkets cheap & unethical produce since our great UK chefs have educated the nation on how they raise our chickens e.t.c The cobbler fish, appart for having massive carbon footprints,being farmed in the most toxic river in the world is also allegiedly injected with the rehydrated urine of pregnant women to make them grow quicker & produce more eggs.Google Vietnamese cobbler fish & look for link why-you-should-not-eat -this-fish to read the full article that put me off consuming this fish earlier & make your own choices.
Tracy

Likes (0)

#9 Mon 03 Mar 08 2:28pm

DaddyPhil

Member since Mon 03 Mar 08

This fish is wonderful. I find that, far from being 'bland', it's a fish that can take on some wonderfully fragrant flavours... I often do it by steam-baking over some lemon-grass, cocounut milk, lime and fish-sauce. 

There's a lot of negativity on the web regarding Vietnamese River Cobbler, much of which seems to come from a site which is totally unverified ("Don't Eat this fish" -  dietmindspirit.org).  It's sensationalist and unreferenced, it's translated from an also unsubstatiated French article, it's only goal is to stop the reader from eating it, not presenting hard-facts.

I'll quote it:
"Pangas will make you sick - If (for reasons in #1 above) you don’t get immediately ill with vomiting, diarrhea and effects from severe food poisoning, congratulations, you have an iron stomach! But you’re still ingesting POISON not poisson."

Do you honestly think that Tesco (et al) would sell something that "will make you sick" unless "you have an iron stomach"?? 

Now, a lot of this fish is being sold - and I do feel uneasy about the air-miles this fish racks up - but if it was anything near as dangerous to human health it would be sold? 

I'm not a scientist - but my money is on the guys who wrote the article to have a vested interest in this fish failing.

I love it - but I have only cooked it three times, and, as yet, haven't died!

Likes (2)

#10 Thu 10 Apr 08 8:03pm

venpk09

Member since Thu 10 Apr 08

Is the vietnamese river cobbler also known as the patin fish?

If it is, its one of the better eating freshwater fishes IMO.
however, for it to taste good, the fish got to very fed till extremely fat. This will ensure the flesh remains moist and juicy. It can be steamed in soya sauce, deep fried with ginger... superb!!!  thumbsup  thumbsup  thumbsup

Likes (0)