forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Thu 29 Nov 07 10:31am

lesleykay

From essex
Member since Thu 17 Mar 05

marinade for steak

does anyone have a marinade for steak please

Last edited by lesleykay (Thu 29 Nov 07 10:31am)

Likes (0)

#2 Thu 29 Nov 07 10:32am

lesleykay

From essex
Member since Thu 17 Mar 05

Re: marinade for steak

does anyone have a marinade recipe for steak please - not too hot and spicy (no indian flavours)  help

Likes (0)

#3 Thu 29 Nov 07 3:30pm

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06
    Likes (0)

#4 Fri 30 Nov 07 7:17am

VENUS

Forum champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Marinade for Steak

1  tablespoon olive oil 
2  tablespoons soy sauce 
2  tablespoons red wine 
2  tablespoons tomato sauce (ketchup) or barbecue sauce 
3  garlic cloves, crushed 
1  teaspoon dried herbs 
good grinding black pepper (or crushed chili to taste) 

Combine all ingredients in a non-metallic bowl.
Add steak and spoon over marinade.
Cover and refrigerate several hours or preferably overnight (but even 1/2 hour will do).
When ready to cook remove meat from marinade, pat dry with paper towels and cook as usual.

Apple Cider Steak Marinade

Ingredients:
1 part Apple Cider
1/2 part Soy Sauce
Tablespoon oil (Vegetable/Olive/other)

Directions:

Marinade your favorite dense meat 24 hours in the combined ingredients. Pan-fry till brown.

Italian-Style Marinade

Ingredients:
1/3 cup olive oil
1 1/2 cup red wine
1 teaspoon basil
1 teaspoon thyme
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 small onion, sliced thinly
3 cloves garlic, minced

Directions:

Combine and use to marinate steak for 4 hours to overnight.

Likes (0)

#5 Sun 09 Dec 07 10:18pm

Jamie

Chef
From Fifteen Restaurant, London
Member since Wed 24 Mar 04

Obviously there are a many recipes for marinade, however, if you want to keep it European we tend to love Mr Rosemary. Rosemary and beef is like a match made in heaven so just go and pick a load, wash it under warm water for about 5 seconds at this time of the year to release all of the natural flavours and oils. Chop it up or pound it up in a pestle and mortar or a Flavour Shaker, add some black pepper, olive oil and if you can leave it for about 8 hours it will make a beautiful flavour. You can do it last minute as well and it is still delicious. If you want to go in a slightly more funky way then just add a tiny little sprinkle of Paprika, this will give it a little edge. You can also smash up a little bit of garlic and rub that in as well or even add orange zest, it’s all good stuff….

Likes (0)

#6 Fri 14 Dec 07 10:35pm

chacha1103

Occupation High School kid
From Ottawa, Canada
Member since Tue 23 Oct 07

Venus is a treasure trove of recipes eh? I love reading your posts V! Instead of a marinade you could always just cook your steak as usual (you know... garlic and some olive oil and what ever else) and top it with some Salsa Verde.

2 cloves of garlic, peeled
1 small handful of capers
1 small hadful of gherkins
6 anchovy felliets
2 large handfuls of flat leaf parsley, leaves picked
1 bunch of fresh basil, leaves picked
1 handful of fresh mint, leaves picked
1 tbsp. dijon mustard
3 tbsp. red wine vinegar
8 tbsp. really good extra virgin olive oil
sea salt
fresh black pepper

finely chop the garlic, capers gherkins, anchovies and herbs and put them in a bowl. Add vinegar and mustard then stir in olive oil until oyu like the consistency. Season with salt and pepper and possibly some more vinegar. yummy

cheers,
chase

Likes (0)

#7 Fri 21 Dec 07 3:23am

chacha1103

Occupation High School kid
From Ottawa, Canada
Member since Tue 23 Oct 07

once again
antipostalitus... sad

Likes (0)

#8 Thu 03 Jan 08 1:39pm

ports18

Occupation IT Manager
From Australia
Member since Wed 02 Jan 08

Jamie wrote:

Obviously there are a many recipes for marinade, however, if you want to keep it European we tend to love Mr Rosemary. Rosemary and beef is like a match made in heaven so just go and pick a load, wash it under warm water for about 5 seconds at this time of the year to release all of the natural flavours and oils. Chop it up or pound it up in a pestle and mortar or a Flavour Shaker, add some black pepper, olive oil and if you can leave it for about 8 hours it will make a beautiful flavour. You can do it last minute as well and it is still delicious. If you want to go in a slightly more funky way then just add a tiny little sprinkle of Paprika, this will give it a little edge. You can also smash up a little bit of garlic and rub that in as well or even add orange zest, it’s all good stuff….

1st post and I'm quoting the man.
I follow the same idea as the first part above, except I add a splash of red wine vinegar.  Goes a treat!! Don't know why but I figured red wine jus works well, why not red wine vinegar.  The vinegar gives it an awesome taste ! !

I must admit since getting into cooking (from watching Jamie at Home in AUS) I was a tomato sauce man, then a mustard man, now its all about the Rosemary for me. 

Dont be afraid to experiment though, live and learn etc   thumbsup

Likes (0)

#9 Thu 03 Jan 08 6:43pm

DominicNoBe

Member since Wed 02 Jan 08

lesleykay wrote:

does anyone have a marinade for steak please

t.=teaspoon
C.=cup

Sorry, I don't do grams and liters

1/4 t. allspice
1 t. cinnamon
1/4 t. clove
1/4 C. olive oil
1/4 C. juice from pickled jalopenos
20-25 grinds of black pepper
pinch of sea salt
1 jalopeno (seeded and chopped)
1 chili (seeded and chopped)
juice and zest of 1 lime

combine in a food processor and blend until smooth
smear all over happy steak
grill to medium

enjoy.

I love using a marinade for steak if the people for whom I am cooking insist on having their steak well done.  This allows for some decent flavor in an otherwise dead and tasteless piece of charred flesh.

Likes (0)

#10 Sat 05 Jan 08 8:48pm

Mr Grumpy

Forum champ
Occupation Sh*t Finder
From Coventry
Member since Sat 22 Dec 07

DominicNoBe, I just did your steak marinade; excellent! Brilliant!  This was well received even by diners who normally prefer their steak in the unadulterated “cut off the horns and wipe it’s a***” form.  My accompaniment was stuffed poblano peppers, roughly as follows:

One poblano pepper per person, split lengthways and deseeded (not cut in half but “pocketed”.
Finely chopped red onion and garlic.
Cloves, cardamom, cinnamon and nutmeg crushed and ground in a mortar and pestle.
Leek, sweet potato, swede, zucchini, carrot or whatever vegetable you like.
Brown rice, precooked and cooled.

Fry the onion and garlic in a little ghee for two minutes, add the spices and fry for a further 30 sec.  Allow to cool.  Depending upon which vegetables you are using, parboil, cool and coarsely chop.  Combine rice, veg and onion/spice mix and thicken with a few breadcrumbs if necessary.  Stuff the peppers with the mix and roast for about 20 min. at gas mark 5 or equivalent.  My wife’s diet prevented me from doing so, but I would quite like to add some chopped walnuts to the above stuffing if I could.  Try it.

Likes (0)