forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#41 Mon 14 Jan 08 10:34am

oliviascotland

Forum champ
From Scotland
Member since Wed 06 Apr 05

Re: THE gluten-free thread

Making gluten-free birthday cakes today, and thought that maybe I should share the recipe!!  This one can be done with butter or with margarine, but sadly can't be made egg free ....  It's a bit fiddly, but well worth the effort, and no-one would ever guess that it's gluten-free!  I make it dairy free too for my family, but have made it with butter which was delicious as well  thumbsup

Sticky chocolate cake:

For the cake:

125g (4.5 oz)dark chocolate, chopped
4 eggs, separated
125g (4.5 oz) caster sugar
1 tbsp cocoa powder

For the filling and frosting:

150g (5 oz) dark chocolate broken into pieces
90g (3.5 oz) margarine (or chopped, unsalted butter)
300g (11 oz) icing sugar, sifted
5 tbsp unsweetened soya (or normal) milk

1. Preheat the oven to 180C (350F, gas 4). Grease and line a 30 x 22cm (12 x 8.5") Swiss-roll tin so the paper stands 3cm (1.5") above the edge.

For the cake, melt the chocolate in a bowl above a pan of hot water, then cool slighty. Whisk the egg yolks and sugar until thick and stir into the chocolate.

2. In a clean bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff. Fold in the chocolate mixture and the cocoa and pour into the tin. Smooth the top and bake for 20 mins until risen and springy. Dust a large sheet of greaseproof paper with caster sugar and turn the cake out onto it. Remove the paper from the top and then cover with a damp cloth.

3. Make the filling and frosting by melting the chocolate and butter in a bowl over hot water, stir until smooth, then slowly beat in the icing sugar to form a stiff mixture. Beat in the milk and leave to cool, continually stirring until it is spreadable. Spread one third over the cake and roll up. Place on a platter and spread wih the remaining mixture. Run a fork along the surface to resemble the bark of a tree (if desired). Dust with icing sugar, and serve.

It takes about 20 mins of preparation, 30 mins of cooking, and serves 10, and is extremely delicious  yummy

Likes (0)

#42 Tue 15 Jan 08 8:42am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Sounds fantastic. I'll have to try that one.

Likes (0)

#43 Tue 15 Jan 08 11:23am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia

A nice article on food intolerances and allergies
http://www.medicine.usyd.edu.au/immunol … intol.html

Likes (0)

#44 Tue 15 Jan 08 5:01pm

oliviascotland

Forum champ
From Scotland

That was an interesting article, White Rabbit - many thanks indeed  thumbsup

Likes (0)

#45 Tue 15 Jan 08 11:40pm

AudioCoffee

Occupation Internet Radio Show Presenter
From Stockport
Member since Mon 03 Oct 05

Quorn is good... I must admit to buying several quorn products over the weekend - we're HOOKED on quorn! big_smile

It's just as versatile as actual chicken - but with absolutely none of the cruelty smile

Yeah, it's taken me a while to adjust and every so often, I do make mistakes.. but... it's all par for the norm smile

Likes (0)

#46 Wed 16 Jan 08 8:18am

oliviascotland

Forum champ
From Scotland

Interesting that you use Quorn, AudioCoffee - unless they've changed the ingredients recently, I'm sure it used to have wheat flour in?  I could, of course, be completely wrong and be missing out hugely!!  I'll have to go and check ...

Update:  having had a look in my local supermarket this morning, some of the products appear to be gluten free.  I'm rather glad to find that, as it's nice to be able to have an alternative from time to time.  We once had a friend living with us who is vegetarian, and who loved Quorn, but we couldn't have it then as it had wheat flour in it - hence my initial comment!

Last edited by oliviascotland (Wed 16 Jan 08 10:04am)

Likes (0)

#47 Sat 19 Jan 08 7:44am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia

http://www.jamieoliver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=28857

Just another gluten free thread on here - no recipes in it at time of posting but that may change

Likes (0)

#48 Tue 22 Jan 08 3:47pm

oliviascotland

Forum champ
From Scotland

Bump  big_smile

Likes (0)

#49 Thu 24 Jan 08 10:10am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ