forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#921 Wed 14 Mar 12 9:32pm

Miss GlutenFree

Occupation Admin Officer & Mum
From Queensland, Australia
Member since Sun 14 Mar 10

Re: THE gluten-free thread

I personally get annoyed at restaurants that claim to have gluten free options but when you do, they are like "would you like chips (fries) with that".... the current trend here seems to be that the only bloody option for chips is that they are beer battered. Sorry, but no, I cannot eat battered chips (hence why I ask for GF sauce on my steak)"....
So, at one particular place I asked for a baked potato and what did I get? 4 tiny little potato portions that basically looked like a chats potato cut up.

I'm lucky that where I work, a lot of people actually take the time to learn more about what it means to be gluten intolerant and go the extra mile to ensure that I am catered for.

Does anyone like gluten free neenish tarts? I was talking bout them to a co-worker yesterday and am very old fashioned in what they look and taste like... oh, the GF ones are ok but if anyone has a recipe, please let me know!!

Likes (0)

#922 Thu 15 Mar 12 10:39am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

I think most people just lump us in the too hard basket. With vegetarians it doesn't really matter if it's been near meat, it's not going to make them sick. I tend to offer to bring food and if I don't know the people too well I eat before I leave home so I'm not starving. And it's amazing how many people think it's more than just wheat, they ask if i can eat potatoes....weird. I do have some lovely friends who a real foodies and do the entire meal gluten free just for me.

Likes (0)

#923 Thu 15 Mar 12 10:37pm

Miss GlutenFree

I pretty much do the same TWR, it is quite often a lot safer. My family and my boyfriend's family are more than accommodating and his mum made the entire Christmas lunch GF last year which was spectacular.

It's amazing how little people know what wheat is though. I've said, "oh, I could die for a Big Mac" and people are like, why don't you.. I have to explain that the bun is made from wheat. Their answer? Get a wrap then!!

Likes (0)

#924 Sat 24 Mar 12 12:52am

Miss GlutenFree

Ok GF peoples, I made a steak and pepper pie last weekend which was pure heaven in a dish if I do say so myself. I used White Wings GF flour (rice flour based) to make the pastry and I almost fell over because I could actually knead it!!!! And, it stayed together beautifully.
Please let me know if you have had any experience with this, because I think it will open up a whole new door of cooking to me.

Also - seeing as Queensland is being hammered by bad weather at the moment, we have been ensuring that we have adequate supplies in our pantry in case we are "stranded" or without power etc. My other half, being totally brilliant, researched gluten free emergency kits to see if there was anything out there. Here are a few links in case any is interested:

http://shop.bumblebar.com/
http://www.alpineaire.com/index.php?mai … p;cPath=38
http://www.buyemergencyfoods.com/shop/i … -food.html

Likes (0)

#925 Sat 24 Mar 12 11:00am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia

The recipe please??!!!!!

Likes (0)

#926 Sun 25 Mar 12 2:41am

Miss GlutenFree

Pepper Steak Pie:

Pastry:
1-2cups White Wings GF flour (amount depends on how much pastry you want)
2tbs butter (or dairy free spread - either works great)
cold water

Pepper Beef filling:
700gm Chuck Steak (or any cheap cut of beef)
1 Brown onion, chopped finely
2 cloves Garlic
Cracked black pepper (as much or as little as you like - I used approx. 1tbs)
water
cornflour (to thicken right at the end)

Pastry making (by hand):
Season flour with a little salt & pepper.
Add butter and combine to make breadcrumb-like texture or until all butter combined.
Make well in the centre and slowly add the water, mixing with a knife until 3/4 of the mixture comes together.
Knead the dough until it is a good consistency, hold together and can be rolled out.

Beef mixture:
Brown onions off, add garlic towards the end.
Cut meat into small cubes, about 1-2cm but no bigger.
Add to onion & garlic mixture and brown off.
Add pepper and mix until beef starts to stick to the pot. Add 1/2 cup water, cover and leave for 20mins.
Check meat, add more water, cover again and leave for another 10-20mins or until meat is tender.
NB: If too thin, add cornflour to thicken the mixture and make your gorgeous gravy.

Put pastry into ceramic pie dish (large or individual). Blind bake for 5-10mins. Add meat mixture then bake for another 15mins or until top of meat starts to brown really nicely.

It may be a bit of a wait for the beef, but trust me, it is soooo worth it.
Enjoy!  smile

Likes (0)

#927 Sun 25 Mar 12 10:05am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia

Thanks!

Likes (0)

#928 Mon 26 Mar 12 10:40pm

Miss GlutenFree

No problems at all.

You can also be extremely decadent and add bacon and cheese to make a trully extravagant and meaty pie. I just don't put in as much pepper. They are huge winners with the family - made mini versions for my birthday a few years ago and it was a battle between my dad & my bf's dad as to who was going to eat the last one. Hilarious!

Likes (0)

#929 Thu 29 Mar 12 10:07am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia

Mr rabbit was in new zealand for work this week and this hotel has a gluten free section as part of it's breakfast buffet http://auckland.langhamhotels.co.nz/index.html

Likes (0)

#930 Fri 30 Mar 12 12:18am

Miss GlutenFree

Looks great!

I went to dinner with some girls from work on Wednesday night at Viva Italia and they had some great gluten free options. However, the GF pasta "hadn't been delivered yet" so I had to choose something else. I'd already overloaded on pizza the week before so had the spinach, sun-dried tomato & bacon risotto.
It was by far, one of the BEST meals out I have ever had. And I don't even like sun-dried tomatoes!

Likes (0)