forum: Chicken

Subscribe to forums RSS

#41 Fri 11 Jan 08 11:47pm

Pete

Forum champ
From The Office
Member since Tue 18 May 04

Re: Jamie's Fowl Dinners

Do you really think politicians are going to do anything about this Sarah?

The public have the power to change things by changing their buying habits.. the whole idea of both jamie's and HFW's programmes is to inform them so people will either spend a bit more money on chicken or eat better quality birds less often.

£15 for a free range chicken? where are YOU shopping? Wholefoods?

Likes (0)

#42 Fri 11 Jan 08 11:53pm

clairew721

Member since Fri 11 Jan 08

I really enjoyed tonights program as I think that it is about time something was done.  However, one thing that wasnt questioned was if there is any health problems associated with eating these battery birds... I think we all no the answer to this but those supremarket chains and the government dont want to admit it!!!

Likes (0)

#43 Fri 11 Jan 08 11:53pm

clivewd

Occupation Chicken lorry driver........
From Lincs

Well, having been in the battery and free range industry for many years I can safely say that the picture being painted right now on the TV is very false. I would never eat a free range egg over a battery egg after seeing all the things free range birds eat. Also, the welfare is a farse as the free range birds mostly live in a cold, wet, dirty field until night time when they go into their cold shed. Battery hens are fed clean healthy food, fresh water and the sheds are kept at a constant temperature. As for the birds you eat, think about bird welfare in other countries before slating our industry.  thumbsup

Likes (0)

#44 Fri 11 Jan 08 11:54pm

Behemoth

Member since Fri 11 Nov 05

Well done.. Good prog, flawed in places but as Ricky Gervais said:  "gordon's the better cook, but you've got a heart of gold".

There is no excuse for buying intensively reared chicken.  If cost is an issue.  Eat less chicken.

Likes (0)

#45 Fri 11 Jan 08 11:56pm

clairew721

In response to clivewd... Do you think nature intended chickens to have central heating etc etc?  Sorry I forgot you are not talking nature....your talking artificial man made frankenstein chickens.

Likes (0)

#46 Fri 11 Jan 08 11:56pm

Behemoth

Member since Fri 11 Nov 05

clivewd wrote:

Well, having been in the battery and free range industry for many years I can safely say that the picture being painted right now on the TV is very false. I would never eat a free range egg over a battery egg after seeing all the things free range birds eat. Also, the welfare is a farse as the free range birds mostly live in a cold, wet, dirty field until night time when they go into their cold shed. Battery hens are fed clean healthy food, fresh water and the sheds are kept at a constant temperature. As for the birds you eat, think about bird welfare in other countries before slating our industry.  thumbsup

What do you think the cheapest birds eat?  And what shocks you about free range diets?

End of the show?  "Buy British"

Likes (0)

#47 Fri 11 Jan 08 11:58pm

Elvis Parsley

Forum champ
Occupation Checking your Missus out
From www.myspace.com/elvisparsley
Member since Tue 29 Jun 04

What we've been shown tonight is that chickens are now egg/meat producing machines.  If you're happy with that and don't call yourself an animal lover, then fair enough.

Those of us with the ability to think outside the box are going to ensure we buy better chickens and eggs that have been treated better and are better for us.

Likes (0)

#48 Sat 12 Jan 08 12:00am

bingybongy

Hello,I am pleased that Jamie made these points about chicken,I have seen on TV some years ago a programme about Chickens on Steroids? chickens were being exported to Haiti from the USA. The Haitians didnt know that they were being supplied chickens from America that had been given steroids(these steroids were banned in the USA) but were fine for exporting to other countries.The point of the programme was to highlight the problems that the Haitians had encountered from just eating Chicken,they were eating chicken which had some banned steriods and were now having real problems ,they had young girls & boys who were growing full 38DD breasts at the age of 12 or 13 yrs of age,also girls growing full pubic hair and penis's.Maybe some steroids are being used for breeding these super chicks for intense farming,lets hope that it is not happening in this country....ever !!!
Did you look into this Jamie ?

Likes (0)

#49 Sat 12 Jan 08 12:02am

Richard Loweth

From East Midlands
Member since Mon 29 Nov 04

they had young girls & boys who were growing full 38DD breasts at the age of 12 or 13 yrs of age,also girls growing full pubic hair and penis's

I DON'T BELIEVE IT. URBAN MYTH. HOW CAN A DRUG HAVE A SIDE EFFECT THAT INCREASES IN A FEMALE BOTH MALE AND FEMALE CHARACTERISTICS. THE CLAIM IN THIS POST IS NONSENSE.

Last edited by Richard Loweth (Sat 12 Jan 08 12:04am)

Likes (0)

#50 Sat 12 Jan 08 12:05am

Elvis Parsley

Forum champ
Occupation Checking your Missus out
From www.myspace.com/elvisparsley
Member since Tue 29 Jun 04

Richard Loweth, we discussed all the salmon thing over 2 years ago.  Jamie did an advert with salmon over 2 years ago.  It all settled down over 2 years ago.  Many people then decided to eat only wild salmon over 2 years ago.

Nobody is going to get into a salmon debate that burned itself out over 2 years ago.  Let's discuss David O' Leary's mismanagement of Aston Villa which was relevant over 2 years ago.  I won't even start about Prime Minister Tony Blair who was in charge over 2 years ago.

Likes (0)