forum: Chicken

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Tue 08 Jan 08 1:04am

Jamie11

Occupation Chef
From London
Member since Mon 07 Jan 08

Battery Farming

Battery farming is a new form of chicken farming. Infact i dont think it is farming at all. it is horrible. Chickens are put in A4 sized cages with 5 or more chickens in their. Also they dont have any room to run around.
Their combs on top of their heads are pale pink. Their feet were in a differant shape and their claws were so very long it is awful. It is awfully mean. We need to help these poor chickens by stoping buying battery farmed eggs. exclaim

Likes (0)

#2 Tue 08 Jan 08 10:23am

chixgbsdg

Re: Battery Farming

Jamie11 - I am an intensive chicken producer - for meat, not eggs. Meat birds have never, ever been kept in cages in this country, and I am not that keen on the idea.

However, let me just put the record straight. The cages are not the size of A4, they are much bigger than that.

Unless we all turn vegetarian, we have got to remember that the idealist's idea of having all birds free range is totally impossible. We are heading into a very serious world food shortage situation because the world population is increasing by 80 million a year and the land are is dissappearing under concrete.

Just as an example, if all meat birds grown in this country at present were kept as organic, we would need about 3.5 million acres of land to keep them on. Their main ingredient in their feed is wheat which at present takes up 5 million acres. Because organic wheat which would be needed to feed organic chicken only yields half as much as commercial wheat, we would need 10 million acres to grow it on.

Free range has a similar problem, but not as extreme.

The land just isn't there. It is an impossible situation!

Likes (0)

#3 Tue 08 Jan 08 11:05am

Pete

Forum champ
From The Office
Member since Tue 18 May 04

Thanks for your interesting posts chixgbsdg.

I'd just like to point out that the idea of having all birds free range or even organic is not an impossibility if we eat less of them. There is no need to eat chicken every day - and certainly no need to feed chicken to your dog as the lady on Hugh's programme said last night!

I'd like to see people treat chicken as a special occasion food - like it was 40 or 50 years ago. Eat pasta! eat vegetables! eat sustainable fish instead!

Likes (0)

#4 Tue 08 Jan 08 11:43am

chixgbsdg

Pete

We might all be forced into being vegetarians as the demand for land increases, because much as most of us like to eat meat, the conversion rate through a chicken is about 1.75:1. In other words, they have to eat 1.75 kilos to produce a kilo of meat. With sheep and cattle its more like 6 or 8:1. So chicken is a very efficient converter and being a white meat is probably better for you.

However, the customer is king and he or she will decide by what they buy as to what the farmer is required to produce. A few people expressing their views as to what they think people should eat will not be the deciding factor.

Its the same as farmers (like myself) having a buy british slogan on the back of their Mitsubishi. You cannot tell people what they should do, its an insult to them.

Likes (0)

#5 Tue 08 Jan 08 2:28pm

Pete

Forum champ
From The Office
Member since Tue 18 May 04

"You cannot tell people what they should do, its an insult to them."

You're absolutely right, but what you CAN do is to give people extra information on which to base their decision, and that's what we're doing.

Watch the programme on Friday night to see what our studio audience decide..

Likes (0)

#6 Tue 08 Jan 08 2:32pm

Elvis Parsley

Forum champ
Occupation Checking your Missus out
From www.myspace.com/elvisparsley
Member since Tue 29 Jun 04

Am I right in thinking that it was Friendly Old Colonel Sanders that invented battery farming so he could flog more of those 3 piece dinners?

Likes (0)

#7 Tue 08 Jan 08 3:54pm

chixgbsdg

Pete

I totally agree, but will the story be the whole truth and nothing but the truth and be balanced? Or will it be what Jamie and the research team want to portray? If they are biased one way or the other, just as I am, that's the way the programme will go.

I have dealt with a lot of journalists and have become a bit of one myself. People are gullible and will believe the media - Goodness knows why!!!

Likes (0)

#8 Tue 08 Jan 08 4:54pm

Poet

chixgbsdg wrote:

People are gullible and will believe the media - Goodness knows why!!!

you're not saying anything to convince me otherwise chixgbsdg.

Your comment about chickens liking it inside because it's warm and they're originally jungle fowl, had me hooting with laughter!  That really was clutching at straws.

chixgbsdg wrote:

There are lots of times in this country when conditions inside are far more preferable, especially if you can't put a jacket on. Remember, chickens are jungle fowl. They don't like being cold.

chickens LOVE being outside, mine are at the moment with their feathery bloomers blowing the wind.  The only way to get them back in is with their favourite treat.

They don't have coats but they have feathery duvets to keep them warm.

big_smile

Likes (0)

#9 Tue 08 Jan 08 7:07pm

chixgbsdg

Poet - I keep saying, I must get off this computer, but its addictive!

You comment that my comment about chickens being jungle fowl is laughable. Check out this as written on this site www.poultrymad.co.uk/chicken-facts/index.html

ORIGINS OF CHICKENS

From their origins in Southwest Asia chickens have spread to all corners of the world due in a great part to their usefulness to man.

Charles Darwin considered that all chickens as being descendants of a single wild species, the red jungle fowl, Gallus Bankiva, which is found in a wild state from India through Southeast Asia to the Philippines.

Apologies will be accepted!!

Last edited by chixgbsdg (Tue 08 Jan 08 7:07pm)

Likes (0)

#10 Tue 08 Jan 08 7:17pm

Poet

chixgbsdg wrote:

Poet - I keep saying, I must get off this computer, but its addictive!

You comment that my comment about chickens being jungle fowl is laughable. Check out this as written on this site www.poultrymad.co.uk/chicken-facts/index.html

ORIGINS OF CHICKENS

From their origins in Southwest Asia chickens have spread to all corners of the world due in a great part to their usefulness to man.

Charles Darwin considered that all chickens as being descendants of a single wild species, the red jungle fowl, Gallus Bankiva, which is found in a wild state from India through Southeast Asia to the Philippines.

Apologies will be accepted!!

I say again, my girls adore being outside and they have that choice, they can go inside or stay outside as they wish.  They usually choose to be dirty stop outs!

Likes (0)