forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Tue 08 Jan 08 4:01pm

teaser

Member since Mon 07 Jan 08

BUFFET FOOD - RECIPES & IDEAS!!

Hi

I am having a few friends and family around in Feb and would like to put on a buffet but I don't want frozen sausage rolls and cheese & pineapple on sticks!  puke

I have seen Jamie put on quite a number of parties on his TV shows and was wondering if anyone could recommend any recipes or let me know which one of Jamie's many books is good for party recipes?

All ideas and recommendations gratefully appreciated.  help

Love

Teaser  kiss

Likes (0)

#2 Tue 08 Jan 08 4:46pm

NATHANSOLLY

Occupation Chef
From Kent
Member since Mon 01 Oct 07

Re: BUFFET FOOD - RECIPES & IDEAS!!

Jamie's book The Return of the Naked Chef has some really good tapas ideas and some really nice salads,which would be perfect for a buffet. thumbsup

Likes (0)

#3 Wed 09 Jan 08 8:26pm

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany
Member since Mon 13 Mar 06

Anything along the lines of tapas or meze  or antipasti works very well.

Personally I love puff pasty things. I buy the frozen pasty sheets and then fill. The classic sausage is a basic. But also try seasoned cream cheese (with herbs or chili or so). Cheese. Etc.
A simple thing to do is making palmiers. Roll out the pasty, spread with some seasoning. Roll in from two end, slice, bake slices. Good fillings are either pesto or a mix of paprika powder, parmesan and an egg (to make it spreadable).

Dips are nice to dip in anything from vegetable sticks to bread, chips etc.

A nice cheese platter is always good (omit toothpicks and pineapples and gherkins and rather use some good cheeses.

Likes (0)

#4 Thu 10 Jan 08 1:35am

chacha1103

Occupation High School kid
From Ottawa, Canada
Member since Tue 23 Oct 07

a good crab dip is pretty good. Or a cheese fondue or even a nice plate of smoked salmon.

Likes (0)

#5 Thu 10 Jan 08 1:42am

sabatman

Occupation www.jamiesabat.blogspot.com
From swindon,wiltshire
Member since Wed 31 Oct 07

I always make the mini calzones from jamies dinners book. I also take his recipe for chicken tikkka masala from the same book. I make up the tikka sauce  and marinade the chicken overnight in it then fry off the next day and put onto skewers. Another recipe is 3 cheese stuffed mushrooms. Use whatever size mushrooms you want. Take out the stalks and chop,add to a bowl also with 3 tbsp ricotta, 3 tbsp dolicilatte and 2tsp of parmesan, season and add breadcrumbs. Mix together and stuff mushrooms put in oven on 180c for about 25 minutes.  mrgreen

Likes (0)

#6 Thu 10 Jan 08 4:37pm

cookinlovebird

Forum champ
Occupation working
From West Midlands United Kingdom
Member since Wed 05 Dec 07

Hi

when i have friends round for a platter nibbles party

I do mini yorkshire puds stuffed with any fresh cooked or pre-pack meat
such as Turkey,Chicken,Beef,Duck,Pork and use an appropriate sauce or chutney

so beef  horseradish  or blue cheese
    turkey cranberry  or sweet chutney
    pork  apple sauce  or ginger preserve

also I do homemade blinis a gherkin creme fracias or caper with either smoked salmon strips or olive pate

I also do crudities with an anchovy dip any veg thats suitable

I also do quacomole dip, housmos dips with homemade blue cheese or parmasan cheese straws

I sometimes do parma ham wrapped around a thin skinless slice of honeydew or gala melon with a sprinkle of blackpepper

and for a sweet treat I have a plate of mini macaroons or chopped bars of eatnatural bars in yogurt coating

hope these might help have a few more if interested

cookinlovebird smile

Likes (0)

#7 Sat 23 Oct 10 11:52pm

Unclean Bamboo

Member since Sat 23 Oct 10

Hello,

Family gatherings are a diplomatic minefield. A genuine desire to share your love of food and introduce your nearest and dearest to things they might not have come across can be misinterpreted as showing off. You may even find yourself labelled as a member of the 'Ponserati'.

Play it safe with a traditional English buffet:

sausage rolls
scotch eggs
white bread sandwiches, no crusts
cocktail sausages
chicken drumsticks
crisps
pickled onions
pickled gherkins
rolls and butter
Cheddar cheese
some sort of flan