forum: Gardening / Growing

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sun 13 Jan 08 1:57pm

Mardler

Member since Sun 13 Jan 08

Can we persuade Jamie to do alternative version of Jamie at Home book?

Has anyone else bought the Jamie at Hpme book and been thoroughly disappointed?
I ordered the book and was thrilled when it arrived - the recipes are brilliant but oh!..  I was so dissappointed when I found none of the lovely sketches & drawing that illustrate so much of the TV series.
The drawings are simple, say everything yet have such a value in themselves. Was anyone else disappointed?
Do you think we could persuade Jamie to release a book with just the recipes in the drawing format?
Happy New Year All

Likes (0)

#2 Sun 13 Jan 08 2:55pm

MaJie

Member since Sun 13 Jan 08

Re: Can we persuade Jamie to do alternative version of Jamie at Home book?

I doubt that can be done, for in general, it is the publishing company that would determine things of that nature: they'd only do it if they thought that version of the book would sell. 

More importantly, perhaps we can encourage a publisher to release it in North America...

Likes (0)

#3 Sun 13 Jan 08 4:09pm

Pete

Forum champ
From The Office
Member since Tue 18 May 04

The book sketches were done by the company that did the graphics for the TV series I'm afraid, the book had pretty much been finished before they started doing them!

Likes (0)

#4 Sun 13 Jan 08 10:53pm

Beautiful BC

Forum champ
From British Columbia, Canada
Member since Wed 04 May 05

Who would have thought the sketches would be so popular?!  They really are great though.  Pete, if you can, pass on a thank you to the company who did them.  I really enjoy the tv series for it's simplicity and the graphic designs only added to the simple, rustic feel.

BC

Likes (0)

#5 Mon 14 Jan 08 3:23am

Helen S.

Occupation artist/writer
From Australia
Member since Thu 21 Apr 05

I agree, the design of the TV series was a delight.  They need to rope in that designer for another seasonal organic book. OOOH what about a journal where we can put in favorite recipes. Oh, a web template: choose the template, choose a JO recipe, print it out for your recipe binder....

I do like the book too though - the woodblock-print effects are really lovely.  Rustic but not kitschy.

Likes (0)

#6 Tue 15 Jan 08 12:17am

Aronel

Occupation Education
From Alberta, Canada
Member since Wed 12 Dec 07

Mardler wrote:

Do you think we could persuade Jamie to release a book with just the recipes in the drawing format?

If a book were to be produced with the recipes in the drawing format

I would buy 5 copies!!!!!!!     No kidding!   thumbsup  thumbsup  thumbsup

(I hope Jamie's people are paying attention to this)  crossed

It would be one of my favourites!

I get annoyed with many cook books and am always on the lookout for one that has that little something...to make it special.
Though I do have some cookbooks that are in the collection simply for the fantastic ideas and recipes in them.  I used to have some very unique and collectable cookbooks but lost them when our apartment building burnt down!
(Wasn't me)

Likes (0)

#7 Tue 15 Jan 08 12:21am

Aronel

Occupation Education
From Alberta, Canada
Member since Wed 12 Dec 07

Helen S. wrote:

I agree, the design of the TV series was a delight.  They need to rope in that designer for another seasonal organic book.

This would be AWESOME!!!!

I'm In !!!!! 

Great Idea!

thumbsup  thumbsup  thumbsup  thumbsup  thumbsup

Likes (0)

#8 Thu 17 Jan 08 1:49am

frizz1974

Forum super champ
Occupation Mother of 2 working more than full time
From Wallerawang, Oz
Member since Wed 29 Jun 05

I love my Jamie At Home but was mildly let down that it didnt have the same graphics as the tv series...

Pete, I think Helen is onto something with the idea of a recipe journal in this format (brown paper look, hand drawn sketchs) that we could write our own faves into... (reckon you could persuade Jamie to have it out by next September?)

Likes (0)

#9 Fri 18 Jan 08 4:45pm

pacandt

Member since Fri 18 Jan 08

I agree entirely.  Whilst we were watching last night I said to my husband that I nearly bought the book but when I opened it none of the lovely drawings and scribbles were there!  I didnt buy it (sorry Jamie).  We do have all the other books and we especially love the Italian one.   My husband is slightly older than Jamie, but Jamies style is just like his - he also grows alot of veg and we get lamb/beef straight from farmer.  Hope Jamie reads/sees/hears of this - I think it would be a great buy.  Cheers Angie

Likes (0)

#10 Sat 19 Jan 08 1:06am

frizz1974

Forum super champ
Occupation Mother of 2 working more than full time
From Wallerawang, Oz
Member since Wed 29 Jun 05

Pacandt.. for me it was still very worth it though as Im just getting into growing my own veg in past 2 years... and I love having all Jamies recipes...

My kids will eat anything that comes from a Jamie book. Thats why my daughter now eats spinach.. thumbsup

Likes (0)