Jamie Oliver

forum: Chicken

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Thu 17 Jan 08 1:48pm

Rootie

Member since Thu 17 Jan 08

Cheap good Grub!

There seems to be a plethora or great programmes on how and what we eat...the wail from most of the people who eat (lots) of junk/ cheap food is that time and money are in really short supply.

I think the natural progression must be a programme on cheap really great tasting grub thats fairly quick to make...say 20-30 minutes.!

Its not rocket science and there is something really creative and good for the soul about making meals with seasonal and cheap food stuffs...ie pasta, spuds, rice and beans and veg...I've discovered a wee bit of fried crispy bacon or chiorizo added can transform a dish....sure there are tons of ways to spice/herb up fairly standard stuff to transfrom it.
Anyway, anyone agree with me?
Ruth

Likes (0)

#2 Sat 19 Jan 08 10:01pm

minerva

Forum champ
Occupation Walking the Old Ways
From Living in the Wild Woods
Member since Wed 16 Jan 08

Re: Cheap good Grub!

Good on yer kiddo, lotsa cheap ingredients & a little bit of really good, flavoursome stuff to pep it up a bit.

I use Chiorizo quite a bit coz tho its expensive, its got a really big flavour & loads of colour. Anything smoked is also belting value & adds an extra dimension, coz you don't need to used as much as the unsmoked (ie fish, meat or cheese etc).........& nuts are expensive (comparatively speaking!) but given that you don't need to use bucketloads to brighten up a dish, they aren't too pricey either.

The idea of back to basics cookery progs is a good one...........so come on, Jamie lad, where are you? Then poor folks & rich ones alike can get it on & make cheap, sexy food yummy !

Likes (0)

#3 Sat 19 Jan 08 10:16pm

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

The problems is that evrryone wants their food to be:-

Good
Fast
Cheap

However,you can only have two out of three

If its Good and Fast - it won't be Cheap

If its Good and Cheap - it won't be Fast

If its Fast and Cheap - it won't be Good

There may be exceptions - but this is a general rule.

Last edited by GeoffP (Sat 19 Jan 08 10:16pm)

Likes (0)

#4 Sun 20 Jan 08 2:52pm

minerva

Forum champ
Occupation Walking the Old Ways
From Living in the Wild Woods
Member since Wed 16 Jan 08

Either of the first 2 is fine by me, depending if I'm flush or brassic!

Likes (0)

#5 Tue 17 Mar 09 3:29pm

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

Yep - that's the point, minerva

Likes (0)

#6 Tue 17 Mar 09 5:16pm

sergio1972

Forum champ
Occupation NLP Trainer and Coach
From Portugal
Member since Tue 09 Dec 08

Just out of curiosity Minerva, when you say chorizo is expensive how much are we talking about?
Im asking this cause over here you can buy reasonable chorizo at very cheap prices.

Likes (0)

#7 Tue 17 Mar 09 8:07pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

sergio, we're in Lisbon, had some very nice chorizo here.

It does raise the food bill to buy convenient, quality fish fillets, steaks and chops.  What we do to stretch the budget is to cut up grilled meats into thin slices and use 1/3 the usual portions by incorporating them into stir fries, soups or fajitas and salads.

Likes (0)