forum: Chicken

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Fri 18 Jan 08 12:32pm

henkeeper

Member since Sat 12 Jan 08

How to freeze eggs..

Hi, This is for anyone out there who buys eggs (free range of course,,) but doesn`t use them on a regular basis.
It`s quite simple to freeze an egg.  All you do is find a small airtight container and break the egg into it, before putting it in the freezer.  You can beat the egg, if you want it for scrambled, or baking or leave it whole if you want it for fried eggs.  Another way is to use ice cube trays.  Just beat the eggs and place them in, then when they are frozen solid, place them in a freezer bag.  The trick here is to do one egg at a time, so you`ll know how many cubes you`ll need for whatever it is you use them for.  Then when you want to use them, let them defrost and that`s it.  I do this all the time with surplus eggs (when my friends haven`t nabbed them)
Whilst here, a tip for checking an eggs freshness is to place it (in shell!) in water.  If it sinks and lays on it`s side it`s fresh and can be used for anything.  If it stands on end, it`s still okay but is betting for cooking.  If it floats on the surface of the water, handle with extreme care!!! This is an egg that`s about to go `bang` in a big way. If you`re not worried, another method is to put each end of the egg to your lips.  If it`s okay the round end will be warmer than the sharp end,  Try it...
Eggs keep for about 21 - 28 days, but it`s best to check them at this time, and only use them for cooking if not sure.   Hope this helps someone and stops eggs being wasted.

Likes (0)

#2 Fri 18 Jan 08 12:50pm

oliviascotland

Forum champ
From Scotland
Member since Wed 06 Apr 05

Re: How to freeze eggs..

Thanks for that excellent advice, Henkeeper.  I have frozen egg whites in the past, but never the yolks, so will definitely give it a go  thumbsup

Likes (0)

#3 Tue 22 Dec 09 4:25pm

wh1t3e4rth

Member since Tue 22 Dec 09

Hi thanks for the advice!

Can i simply just freeze the eggs in the shell and then when i want to use them leave them out to thaw?

Likes (0)

#4 Fri 22 Oct 10 11:55am

petrovyoung

Member since Fri 22 Oct 10

Hello,
Thanks for your valuable advice. I am going to follow your advice for next time when i need to freeze my egg

Likes (0)

#5 Fri 22 Oct 10 12:08pm

FlippyPhil

From Staffordshire/Derbyshire
Member since Thu 19 Aug 10

For a handing egg storage method:

Mix 3 eggs with butter, flour, sugar and some other flavourings. Bake. Slice and store in your tummy.

I've been storing eggs like this for years. Never had any problems :-)

Likes (0)

#6 Sat 23 Oct 10 3:22am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

wh1t3e4rth wrote:

Hi thanks for the advice!

Can i simply just freeze the eggs in the shell and then when i want to use them leave them out to thaw?

No!

Likes (0)

#7 Sat 23 Oct 10 8:21am

greyhound

Occupation plasterer
From Brisbane
Member since Mon 24 Apr 06

sorry white, you cant just stick em in the freezer. note when you freeze water, it expands. same for any liquid, but also the egg acts like an airtight container and the pressure will build up. unfortunately the egg will explode and it'll be like a dog's breakfast.

Likes (0)

#8 Sat 23 Oct 10 11:08am

heather6169

Occupation Mum, Nanna, Wife and Fundraiser
From South Penrith, Australia
Member since Fri 11 Jun 10

Wow I've been cooking and baking for years and never thought to freeze eggs. Thankyou folks I have learnt something new.
However I'm not to sure about putting the eggs to my mouth, sorry I'm a little too germaphobic for that.

Cheers Heather smile

Likes (0)

#9 Sat 23 Oct 10 9:41pm

Keith2k10

Occupation Professional Cookery Student
From Northern Ireland
Member since Sat 23 Oct 10

Hi

some believe that freezing eggs in their shell will result in eggs exploding. Not true -frozen eggs in their shell will NOT explode in the freezer. This is a myth.

Sometimes the shells crack a bit if you freeze the eggs in their shell, but there's a little air sack inside that provides enough room to expand. To prevent risk of cracked eggs, better not freeze them in the shell in the beginning. Discard any egg that cracks when frozen.

You can freeze whole eggs if you first beat the yolks and whites together. To freeze the whites only just separate the whites from the yolks. Pour the whites into a freezer container and seal tightly. The whites can be kept for up to 6 months in the freezer.

This method is for chicken eggs. Other poultry eggs like quail and duck are sightly different.

To freeze yolks alone. In a lightly oiled bowl or container, you need to mix four yolks with a pinch of salt and 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar. For eight yolks, add a pinch of salt, 3 teaspoons of sugar etc. Put into a plastic bag and store in the freezer. They will be good for up to 6 months in the freezer. Keep the yolks frozen until needed. Then defrost them in the fridge.

If you want to freeze yolks alone, you MUST add some salt and sugar otherwise they will turn to jelly.

When you buy your eggs from the store or market don't wash eggs until you want to use them. There is a natural thin wax coating on the egg shell that protects it from contaminants. Eggs have been before they are sent your the store/market and further washing might do more damage to the protective wax.

Keith

Likes (0)

#10 Sun 24 Oct 10 12:33am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

Thanks for an interesting post Keith! smile

Likes (0)