forum: Chicken

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sun 20 Jan 08 9:25pm

daddy_d

Occupation Loss Adjuster
From Kent
Member since Thu 17 Jan 08

Free Range Willow Farm?

Both myself and Emma.Rose have been told by Tesco employees that their Willow Farm birds are free rangers this week! Obviously they're not, but I was just wondering how many others have been misled? Have any of you?

Likes (0)

#2 Mon 21 Jan 08 12:27am

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

Re: Free Range Willow Farm?

You would hardly expect a supermarket shelf stacker to have any idea about the stuff they sell, would you?

You might as well ask one to recommend a wine, or discuss cheese.

Supermarket assistants can be expected to have some knowledge of which aisle things are on, but that is generally the limit of their expertise.

Likes (0)

#3 Fri 18 Apr 08 6:09pm

korrah1980

Member since Fri 18 Apr 08

I went into Tesco last night and there were no free range apart from Tesco Finest free range corn fed chicken which is about 9 for two breasts which I just refuse to pay.
The assistant told me that Willow Farm was organic and I kept saying it wasn't because although they were very clever with the wording nowhere did it say 'free range'...she then told me that Jamie Oliver has endorsed Willow Farm which I am thinking not as it isn't free range but if somebody knows differently please let me know!
Tesco keep saying that we have to give it time until supply has caught up with demand and call me a cynic...but I find it rather strange that the only free range chicken available just happens to be on their premium 'finest' brand at a premium price!

Likes (0)

#4 Fri 18 Apr 08 6:24pm

readyaimfryer

From England
Member since Sun 30 Mar 08

who do you think you are Geoffp!

You can't make a sweeping statement like that !!!!

A place of employment should not be used to Caricature people and there level of expertise !!!!!!! angry

Last edited by readyaimfryer (Fri 18 Apr 08 6:25pm)

Likes (0)

#5 Fri 18 Apr 08 6:27pm

readyaimfryer

From England
Member since Sun 30 Mar 08

I would just like to add that I do not work in a supermarket

Likes (0)

#6 Fri 18 Apr 08 8:32pm

ian1969uk

Member since Tue 11 Mar 08

I might get shot down for this but I love my local Tesco superstore. It has an excellent range of fruit and vegetables, plus a huge amount of ethnic ingredients for indian, chinese, caribbean etc. It's the convenience as well, as I can get most things there.

However, the two things I won't buy there are meat and fish. I get my meat and poultry free range from an organic farm and I get my fish delivered from an online (sustainable) fishmongers.

Likes (0)

#7 Sun 20 Apr 08 10:31pm

GeoffP

Forum champ

well readyaimfryer, I think I am someone who has a great deal of experience of supermarkets and other shops. Since I have never actually come across a supermarket shelf stacker who knows anything about the food they are selling, I am quite prepared to make sweeping statements, based on experience over many years.

The "level of expertise" required of a shelf-stacker does not extend to actually knowing anything about the stuff they are stacking on shelves. They are, for the most part, friendly and as helpful as they are able to be - but their knowledge of the stuff they are stacking is probably no greater than yours.

To state this is not to caricature them, merely to observe reality.

Likes (0)

#8 Mon 21 Apr 08 1:06pm

choc chops

Forum champ
Occupation Restaurant Manageres
From Essex
Member since Mon 24 Mar 08

Supermarket shelf stacker's get paid to do a job, ...stack shelves!!

No it wouldn't bother me if they didn't no much about the product,  if I was that bothered I would find out  for myself before i went shopping.   

I worked Nights stacking shelves for Tesco about 6 years ago,  and after unpacking around 500/600 tins of beans and tined veg etc, i probably would of thrown them at someone if they started moaning at me about the product!

Its a job, Its honest money and can be very very physical work! 

(wouldn't work there again though! the uniform is shocking, does nothing for my figure!)  big_smile

Likes (0)

#9 Tue 22 Apr 08 8:36pm

GeoffP

Forum champ

Thanks for the confirmation choc chops.

Likes (0)

#10 Sun 27 Apr 08 12:20pm

stuart c-w

Member since Sat 16 Feb 08

ian1969uk wrote:

However, the two things I won't buy there are meat and fish. I get my meat and poultry free range from an organic farm and I get my fish delivered from an online (sustainable) fishmongers.

Hi there Ian I've been trying to find an online sustainable fish mongers for a while now, would you be able to give me the web address of the this one? And out of curiosity what is this organic farm you purchase your meat and poultry from?

cheers
stuart  big_smile

Last edited by stuart c-w (Sun 27 Apr 08 12:21pm)

Likes (0)