forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Wed 20 Feb 08 6:57pm

nikkit72

From milton keynes
Member since Thu 07 Feb 08

mince meat ball recipe?

anyone have a good mince beef meat ball recipe ? the kind like you buy from supermarket erm i think they like swedish meat balls , i ahve mince , but looked in jamies book and he only has sausage meat balls , lots on net but just not sure which one to go for , and you guys are so lovely and recommend some good recipes

thx in advance

Last edited by nikkit72 (Wed 20 Feb 08 6:57pm)

Likes (0)

#2 Wed 20 Feb 08 7:16pm

Tanya

Forum champ
From Scotland
Member since Thu 15 Jul 04

Re: mince meat ball recipe?

I made my own version of Jamies recipe.....page 158....I assume this is the one you mean.

I used good quality pork sausages from my local butcher, together with some minced rump steak, also from my local butcher.  I made up the meatballs, but did not fry them.  I put them in the fridge while I made the tomato sauce (I added some finely chopped onions), then put the meatballs in the sauce, lid on, and let it simmer until the meatballs were cooked through.

Delicious.
yummy  yummy

Likes (0)

#3 Wed 20 Feb 08 8:52pm

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

What sort of mince do you have. Most storebought meatballs are a mixtyre of beef & pork, but you can nake meatballs with any mince or sausage meat.

Likes (0)

#4 Wed 20 Feb 08 9:17pm

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany
Member since Mon 13 Mar 06

My most basic (German) meatball recipe:

about  500 g mince (pork, beef, half and half, or sausage meat)
1 onion (finely chopped)
1 hard roll (or some other white bread, french bread, ciabatta or the likes - dried out and soaked in water till mushy - squeeze water out before adding to meat)
1 egg
seasonings to taste
(my MIL also adds breadcrumbs to make everything less moist and more compact, you might just as well omit the soaked bread to achieve that (because then the only reason you add bread is to save money by "diluting" the meat). I like them a little fluffy, so I stuck with my own mother's as above - the egg and the moist bread make the fluff.)

I mix those using either my hands or a fork. For basic meatballs I add salt, pepper and marjoram - sometimes a tsp of mustard, but you can do any other seasonings as well. Sometimes I sautee the onion first to get them soft. Italian herbs, garlic, and (drained off the oil) marinaded dried tomatoes are very nice for party meatballs. You can also add chopped olives, corn kernels, or whatever else if serving without sauce (eg. cold for fingerfood)

Wet your hands a little to shape the meat into balls or patties and fry from all sides.

Likes (0)

#5 Thu 21 Feb 08 9:47am

zippets

Occupation Mum
From Perth, Western Australia
Member since Thu 09 Aug 07

Nikki

Here a few of my recipes - hope they are some help. smile

My Basic Meatballs recipe that I usually serve with pasta in a tomato sauce (homemade or just bought in a jar).  For the quantities I just make to taste & what I think is enough of each ingredient as cooking like this is always trial & error & you have to cook it first to figure out what is best.

Beef mince
Onion - chopped finely
Garlic - chopped finely or crushed
1 egg for binding
pepper & salt

This is my basic meatballs.  Some days I will add some if not all, depending on what taste I feel like having,  the below ingredients:
Worcestershire sauce
Soya sauce
Chilli sauce
Grated parmesan cheese
Chopped parsley

Roll these into balls & saute in hot oil until nice & brown & cooked through.
Serve as is or with pasta.

Here are a few recipes I also have on file -

Cheesy Mediterranean Meatballs

INGREDIENTS
1 carrot, peeled and roughly chopped
½ zucchini, roughly chopped
½ onion, roughly chopped
2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
1½ tablespoons olive oil
1 x 700ml bottle tomato passata or crushed tomatoes
½ cup beef or chicken stock
500g minced beef
1 cup fresh breadcrumbs
¼ cup flat-leaf parsley, chopped
1 egg, lightly beaten
salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
200g mozzarella cheese, cut into 2cm cubes
100g fetta cheese, crumbled
100g kalamata olives, pitted and halved
2 tablespoons extra chopped parsley, to serve
METHOD

Blend vegetables and garlic in a food processor. Heat oil in a heavy-based casserole dish and add three quarters of the chopped vegetables. Cook over low heat for 2 minutes until softened. Stir in passata and stock, simmer for 10 minutes.
Combine remaining vegetable mixture with mince, breadcrumbs, parsley, egg and seasoning. Knead thoroughly with your hands for 2-3 minutes or until the mixture is very sticky. Shape the mixture into golf ball-sized balls and stuff each with one cube of mozzarella ensuring that the cheese is fully enclosed.
Place the meatballs into the simmering sauce, then cover and bake at 180°C for 20 minutes. Turn the meatballs and return to the oven uncovered for a further 15 minutes.
To serve, sprinkle meatballs with combined fetta, olives and parsley. Accompany with creamy polenta, rice or pasta.

Lamb and rice meatballs

Ingredients:
500g lamb mince
¾ cup cooked jasmine rice
1 clove garlic, crushed
2cm piece ginger, finely grated
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon ground coriander
½ teaspoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon dried mint
salt and pepper
1 egg
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 cloves garlic, sliced thinly
1 can crushed tomatoes
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon dried mint
pinch dried chilli

Method
Combine lamb, rice, garlic, ginger, Worcestershire sauce, coriander, cumin, cinnamon, mint, salt and pepper and egg in a large bowl; mix thoroughly with your hands until well combined. Shape walnut sized pieces of the mixture into balls.
Cook meatballs in half of the olive oil in a large frying pan for 5-10 minutes or until cooked through.
Meanwhile, make sauce by heating remaining oil in a small saucepan. Add garlic and sauté briefly until it starts to colour. Add tomatoes, sugar, mint, chilli, salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Simmer 10 minutes until thickened and reduced. Check seasoning and serve with warm meatballs.

Chicken Risoni Soup with Herbed Meatballs

2½ litre water
1.6kg chicken
2 parsley stalks
2 celery stalks
1 onion – cut in half
1 tomato – cut in half
5 peppercorns
300gm chicken mince
2 tab parsley – chopped
2 tab parmesan
1 egg
½ cup breadcrumbs
¾ cup risoni
2 tab lemon juice
1 tab oil

Place the water & chicken in a pot keeping; the chicken breast side up.  Add the parsley stalks, celery, tomato, onion & peppercorns.  Bring to boil then simmer 2½ hours.
Meanwhile make the chicken balls by combining the chicken mince, parsley, breadcrumbs, parmesan & eggs.  Shape into small balls then brown in a little oil in a frying pan.
After the stock has simmered for required time; strain stock into another saucepan then shred the chicken meat off the bones whilst it is still warm.
Boil the stock for a further 20 minutes to intensify the flavour then add the browned chicken balls and risoni and simmer a further 10 minutes or until the risoni has cooked.
Add ½ the shredded chicken meat & season with the lemon juice & oil.

***I also make a simpler version as I usually have lots home-made chicken stock in the freezer.
Omit the chicken & stock making.  I make the chicken ball part according to instructions then just pop them into some of my heated already made stock with the risoni & serve just this when done.
I also drizzle with a little chilli oil & this simpler version is still just as delish!***

Sesame Chicken Meatballs

Delicious for young and old, but developed by our Test Kitchen, specifically for babies and toddlers's tastebuds in mind.

Ingredients:
170g single chicken breast fillet, chopped
½ teaspoon fish sauce
½ teaspoon sweet chilli sauce
1 teaspoon lime juice
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 teaspoon shredded basil leaves
2 teaspoons sesame seeds
vegetable oil, for deep frying
Method
Blend or process chicken, sauce, juice, garlic and leaves until almost smooth.
Using hands, roll rounded teaspoons of chicken mixture into ball; roll ball in sesame seeds. Place on tray; repeat process with remaining mixture.
Deep-fry chicken meatballs, in batches, until cooked through and browned lightly; drain on absorbent paper.

Thai Style Chicken Balls

Ingredients:
1kg chicken mince
1 cup fresh breadcrumbs
4 spring onions, sliced
1 tablespoon ground coriander
1 cup chopped fresh coriander
3 tablespoons sweet chilli sauce
1-2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons oil

Method
Preheat the oven to moderately hot 200 C.  Mix the mince and breadcrumbs in a large bowl.
Add the spring onion, ground and fresh coriander, chilli sauce and lemon juice and mix well.  Using damp hands, form the mixture into evenly shaped balls that are either small enough to eat with your fingers or large enough to use as burgers.
Heat the oil in a large non stick frying pan and cook the chicken balls over high heat until browned all over.  Drain well on paper towels and then place them on a baking tray and bake until cooked through.  (The small chicken balls will take 5 minutes to cook and the larger ones will take 10 – 15 minutes.)

Likes (0)

#6 Thu 21 Feb 08 10:42am

nikkit72

From milton keynes
Member since Thu 07 Feb 08

many thanks zippit for all those recipes , i will try some tonight ,
yes geoffp , it is jst plain mince bought form store , i just assumed when i saw jamies recipes for meat balls they were for mince meat balls and not sausage meatballs , thats why i asked.

let you know how i get on tonight  thumbsup

Likes (0)

#7 Fri 22 Feb 08 12:36pm

Burkey

Occupation Self-employed
From Brisbane, Australia
Member since Wed 06 Feb 08

Hii nikkitt72, I have found the following recipe to be a little different to normal, but easy to prepare & cook, if you want something different.

Meatballs

500gr minced lamb (beef works just as well)
½ onion chopped and lightly sauteed
3 teaspoons paprika (Hungarian Sweet is fine)
3 tablespoons Greek style yoghurt
2 teaspoons cumin
1 teaspoon chilli paste (Olek sambal)or harissa
1 bunch chopped coriander (coriander seeds work well))

Mix all ingredients and shape into meatballs the size of golf balls.
Place in sprayed oven dish and cook at 200 deg. for 15-20 minutes.

Sauce:
3 tablespoons yoghurt
1 teaspoon Harissa paste (use sparingly because it is hot-level measurement)
A small amount of lemon juice (optional)
Generous amount of coriander

Mix all ingredients together.

For variation, although not traditional, trickle a little Thai style Sweet Chilli Sauce over meat balls and then drizzle yoghurt sauce on top.  This can be served with a salad - Greek Style.
A little parsley or mint as a topping would enhance appearance.
You can serve with heated Turkish style bread if you like.

Likes (0)