forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Wed 27 Feb 08 10:01pm

Amie Stewart

Member since Wed 27 Feb 08

rocket, ruccola, arugula

Hello from Seattle! I am so happy to find this site!
QUESTION: I have some rocket growing in my herb bed... there is in fact a lot of it. It has been growing all winter (similar climate to England)... is it still good to eat? Can you recommend some uses? I like the taste but find the way I use it it is too strong.
Thanks in advance!
~Amie

Likes (0)

#2 Thu 28 Feb 08 3:19am

VENUS

Forum champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Re: rocket, ruccola, arugula

Chilli prawn & rocket spaghetti

Ingredients
250g dried spaghetti
60ml (1/4 cup) olive oil
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 tsp crushed hot dried chilli flakes
16 (about 30g each) large green prawns, peeled leaving tails intact, deveined
2 tsp fresh lemon juice
1/4 tsp salt
80g baby rocket leaves, washed
80g shaved parmesan
Method
Cook spaghetti in a large saucepan of boiling water following packet directions or until al dente.
Meanwhile, heat oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add garlic and 1/2 tsp of chilli flakes. Cook, stirring, for 30 seconds or until aromatic. Add prawns, lemon juice and salt. Cook, stirring, for 1-2 minutes or until prawns change colour and are just cooked through. Set aside.
Drain spaghetti. Add to prawns with rocket. Cook, tossing, over low heat for 1 minute or until heated through. Divide spaghetti among bowls, sprinkle with remaining chilli and parmesan. Serve with lemon wedges if desired.

Lemon spaghettini with poached eggs & rocket

Ingredients
400g dried spaghettini pasta
4 eggs
60ml (1/4 cup) olive oil
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tbs finely grated lemon rind
80ml (1/3 cup) fresh lemon juice
120g rocket leaves
Shaved parmesan, to serve
Method
Cook the pasta in a large saucepan of boiling water following packet directions or until al dente. Drain. Return to pan.
Meanwhile, place a medium saucepan of water over high heat. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Use a large spoon to stir the water to make a whirlpool. Carefully crack 1 egg into the centre of the whirlpool and poach for 3-4 minutes for a soft egg or until cooked to your liking. Use a slotted spoon to transfer to a plate. Repeat with the remaining eggs.
Add the oil, garlic, lemon rind, lemon juice and rocket to the pasta and toss until well combined. Divide pasta among serving bowls and top with poached eggs. Sprinkle over parmesan and season with salt and pepper to serve.

Pan-fried mushrooms with rocket

Ingredients
60mls (1/4 cup) olive oil
1 garlic clove, crushed
Salt & ground black pepper, to taste
4 (about 450g) mushroom flats, trimmed
2 tbs roughly chopped fresh Continental parsley
50g 1/2 bunch) rocket, washed, trimmed
Method
Combine 21/2 tbs of the olive oil with the garlic and salt and pepper to taste. Brush the mushrooms with the oil mixture on both sides. Heat the remaining olive oil in a large frying pan over medium heat.
Place the mushrooms into the pan cap-side up and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side or until just tender. Sprinkle with the parsley and cook for a further 30 seconds on each side. Place the mushrooms onto serving plates and top with the rocket and a sprinkle of black pepper.
Drizzle over the pan juices and serve immediately.

Likes (0)

#3 Thu 28 Feb 08 4:44am

Amie Stewart

Member since Wed 27 Feb 08

Re: rocket, ruccola, arugula

mmm mmm THANK YOU for the mouth watering recipes! I happen to have some prawns in the freezer... guess I know what we will have for supper this weekend! ;-)
My little 1 1/2 year old daughter LOVES nibbling on the rocket when we are outside in the garden.
~Amie clap

Likes (0)