Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Thu 28 Feb 08 2:56am

ports18

Occupation IT Manager
From Australia
Member since Wed 02 Jan 08

Help with Ciabatta Bread

I need some help please guys,

In the Naked chef book Jamie teaches how to make bread.  Now I can make bread fine, not problems here.  What I would like to make is his Ciabatta version.  There is a step where you have to add olive oil to the dough (after its been knocked back/or just before, can't remember), but before you shape it.  But im a little confused, do I just tip the oil over the dough?  Do I make a well in the dough and kneed it back in?

It may not turn out like Ciabatta bread anyway as his version is no where near as difficult as the others on the internet.

Likes (2)

#2 Thu 28 Feb 08 10:47am

Tanya

Forum champ
From Scotland
Member since Thu 15 Jul 04

Re: Help with Ciabatta Bread

Hi ports 18 -

At stage 7 - after you knock back the dough, add the olive oil and knead until the oil has been absorbed.  Then shape and bake!

yummy  thumbsup

Likes (2)

#3 Thu 28 Feb 08 11:19pm

ports18

Occupation IT Manager
From Australia
Member since Wed 02 Jan 08

Thanks,

Thats pretty much what I did but I think I am going about it the wrong way though, after I knocked it back I just poured the oil over the dough, pretty messy as oil was dribbling down all over the place.  Is it better to make a hole in the dough for the oil to sit in and then knead?

It just got messy as oil was everywhere and the dough was very oily on the outside.

Likes (2)

#4 Fri 29 Feb 08 10:13am

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

You have to knead the dough until the oil is absorbed - its just a little messy, but works fine.

If you really can't get the hang of it, add the oil earlier, when you actually make the dough.

Likes (2)

#5 Fri 29 Feb 08 8:06pm

xerox

Member since Sat 23 Feb 08

I've only tried to make it once and it turned out like a pizza base big_smile

Likes (0)

#6 Fri 29 Feb 08 9:14pm

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

Well, a pizza base is indeed made with almost exactly the same recipe - the only difference is that the ciabatta shouldbe left to rise linger.

Likes (0)

#7 Sat 16 Aug 08 1:27am

Salamb

Occupation SW Engineer
From Adelaide
Member since Sat 16 Aug 08

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone has had success with this Ciabatta recipe lately.
I attempted it and got a nice tasting bread, with a good crust, but it didn't have those nice big holes I associate with Ciabatta bread.
Does anyone know what I need to do to fix this?
Thanks, Sal

Likes (0)

#8 Sat 16 Aug 08 1:32pm

Sereh

Occupation mothering my toddler
From The Netherlands
Member since Thu 20 Jan 05

My hubby is doing some serious ciabatta baking lately, and uses the 'fold-and-rise- method'. First he makes a saltless dough, which proofs for about 24 hours. Then he adds more flour, water, yeast, oil and salt and the dough proofs for another 1,5 hours, in which he folds it over every 15 minutes. Then he shapes the loafs, and they proof for another 45 minutes. The folding gives the actual nice big airholes. The dough is very moist, almost too moist to handle. It is a rather exciting process, and the result is soo delicious!

This is his recipe for 4 loafs:

It is important to weigh all of the ingredients, in stead of measuring. Even the liquid.

-make a starter with:
340 gr. flour (preferably durum 00)
180 gr water
4 grs instant yeast

Kneed to form a firm dough, then proof in a closed box or similar for 17-24 hours.

After 24 hours, add 500 gr flour, 7 gr instant yeast, 340 gr water, 50 gr olive oil and 15 gr salt.

Kneed this VERY STICKY dough in the box, until the stickiness gets a little less. DO NOT add more flour, just kneed and kneed to make it less sticky.
Oil your countertop, transfer the dough to the countertop and kneed until it is strong enough to form a ball. It's like kneading melted mozzarella, he says.
Return to the box, close and proof for another 90 minutes. Every 15 minutes, fold the dough like this:
http://www.wildyeastblog.com/wp-content … lding1.mov

Now that your dough is done proving (for this round) add loads of flour to your countertop. In one move, transfer the dough from the box to the countertop.
Shape with a dough scraper in a rectangle, divide in four even rectangular pieces.
Shape roughly like a ciabatta, transfer to a heavily floured cookiesheet or similar for the last round of proofing. Proof for another 30/45 minutes. Pre-heat your oven in the meantime at 230 degrees C.

After that, transfer to the oven and spray a lot of water in the oven on the loafs and on the inside of the oven to give it a bit of steam for the crust. E voila, after only 20 minutes of baking you have your own, homemade, delicious Ciabatta!

clap

Last edited by Sereh (Sat 16 Aug 08 2:04pm)

Likes (0)

#9 Sun 17 Aug 08 4:47am

Salamb

Occupation SW Engineer
From Adelaide
Member since Sat 16 Aug 08

Thanks Sereh  big_smile
That recipe sounds fab. I will try it next weekend (I won't have any time before that) and let you know how I go.

Likes (0)

#10 Mon 18 Aug 08 8:46pm

Mr Grumpy

Forum champ
Occupation Sh*t Finder
From Coventry
Member since Sat 22 Dec 07

Sereh, that sounds about perfect.  My understanding of Ciabatta is that you do not knead it at all after rising, and touch it only as much as is absolutrly necessary to shape it, in order to preserve the bubbles.  Kneading in the oil (or anything else like olive or tomato) after rising just sounds wrong.  My own recipe is similar, with the 24 hour starter and then a long rise, but the shaping is done as gently as possible on a floured board to produce the "slipper" shape.

Likes (0)