forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Tue 04 Mar 08 3:35am

Pauline J

From NZ
Member since Thu 21 Feb 08

Granite Mortar and Pestle

Just bought one today.... but no instructions on how to care for it, to be safe I have only rinsed it with luke warm water, didn't think washing up liquid would be suitable.... have I done the right thing???   

Also after use, is it like a Chinese Wok and just wipe instead of wash?

Likes (0)

#2 Tue 04 Mar 08 9:53am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Re: Granite Mortar and Pestle

It's a nice solid piece of rock, there is very little you will be able to do to destroy it. However granite can be damaged by highly acidic foods like pineapple or kiwi fruit. Vinegar could have the same effect, so if you add vinegar to what you are mixing do it right at the end. The damage would be the dissolving of some parts of the rock, same goes for granite benchtops. It's not noticable at first, it would just roughen the susceptible parts.

Some people find that the granite gives off a grey powder. The only solution is a good scrub with a scourer to get off the looser parts or pound a lot of salt in it until it stops going grey. Granite is a natural stone so all mortar and pestles will behave a little differently.

No, it isn't like a wok. The patina you build up on a wok (or a metal fry pan) gives a smooth surface which food doesn't stick to as much. This is particular to metals and does not apply to other materials.

Welcome to the forum.

Likes (0)

#3 Tue 04 Mar 08 10:48am

Khaines

Occupation Pigging out...
From Bournemouth UK
Member since Fri 08 Feb 08

Interesting thread.  While looking for pizza stones and suchlike I've come across some very nice granite pestle and mortars - been picking up and looking but putting down again, as am determined not to buy anything else that is just extra to pack when I move!!

Can you just wipe them over with soapy water - as in while washing up - a quick wipe over with washing up water?

Likes (0)

#4 Tue 04 Mar 08 10:50am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia

You can wash them up as normal. It's a piece of rock so they are pretty hardy. If you have a very heavy one it can be easier to wipe it out several time instead.

I wouldn't recommend the dishwasher as it may corrode the granite (dishwasher detergents are normally alkaline not acid but can still corrode things) and leave a dent in your dishwasher.

Likes (0)

#5 Tue 04 Mar 08 7:31pm

Pauline J

From NZ

Thank you The White Rabbit, for the very interesting reply.... yes I was wondering if some detergents would do something to the granite.... although we haven't a dishwasher, thanks for that bit of information.

I think I will just wash it with the dishes in that case.

Thanks again   thumbsup

Likes (0)

#6 Tue 04 Mar 08 10:13pm

Khaines

From Bournemouth UK

There is a warning on the back of the granite trivets and chopping boards they have in Asda, and I was wondering why - I was thinking of the salt used in dishwashers.  Come across a lot of granite stuff in my hunt for a pizza stone!

Likes (0)

#7 Wed 05 Mar 08 12:57am

Pauline J

From NZ

Khains - just make sure that you do get Use and Care instructions with your Pizza Stone ..... we bought one recently, a pourous stone of some sort and the cleaning instructions is as follows

Before cleaning the stone allow it to cool.  Then remove baked on foods with a spatula and rinse the stone in warm water.  Do not use soap or detergent, as they may leave a soapy aftertaste.  Let the stone air dry thoroughly before using again.

Likes (0)

#8 Wed 05 Mar 08 2:32am

stuvik

Occupation IT - Programmer
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Tue 22 May 07

Khaines, I too am looking for a good sized pizza stone. The only 'cooking stone' I've found here are hot rocks for use in restaurants and about the size of a smallish tile. Nothing like what Jamie used in his oven on the 'Pizza' Jamie at Home episode.

A friend of mine works at a place which makes tombstones...Hmmm.... mrgreen

Likes (0)

#9 Wed 05 Mar 08 8:39am

Khaines

From Bournemouth UK

http://www.jamieoliver.com/forum/viewto … 01&p=3

Link to another thread on pizza stones!!  There is a place just opened up a few days ago doing the hot rock thing - bben in there twice already, and was wondering if you bought a granite trivet, would it have the same effect!!  Yep, small and quite thick tile is about the best way to describe the hot rocks!

Last edited by Khaines (Wed 05 Mar 08 8:40am)

Likes (0)

#10 Wed 05 Mar 08 9:00am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia

There is a small amount of salt used in dishwasher detergents but the main issue would be the main problem. It's very alkaline. Normal detergents (that you use in the sink) are very mild, they are soaps (a.k.a. surfactants) rather than caustics.

A ceramic pizza stone is quite porous and probably would take up detergents and be difficult to get the residue of detergents out of. Natural stone like granite is less porous.

Likes (0)