Jamie Oliver

forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Wed 05 Mar 08 5:59pm

Momof3

Member since Tue 22 Jan 08

What/How to serve risotto?

I LOVE risotto and am wondering how to incorporate into a meal?  Should it be the appetizer?  I was going to make steak florentine and panazanella (tomato/bread salad) but thought it might be too rich of a meal with the risotto (mushroom)?  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. thks:)

Likes (0)

#2 Wed 05 Mar 08 6:48pm

French_vanilla

Forum champ
Occupation Secretary
From Dublin - Ireland
Member since Sun 01 Apr 07

Re: What/How to serve risotto?

I actually like a nice mushroom rissoto as main meal... (with loads of parmesan and a drizzle of truffle oil!)

Otherwise, why not serving it on the side of:

- grilled / pan fried seafood,
- steamed white fish,
- with smoked French/German sausages....
- with pan fried black pudding?!

Actually, I like the black pudding idea... might try that this week-end  big_smile

Frenchie

Likes (0)

#3 Wed 05 Mar 08 10:17pm

franco_ontarian

Occupation Teacher
From Ontario Canada
Member since Tue 04 Mar 08

I also love the risotto as a stand alone main course, especially the mushroom risotto, so rich and earthy, yum! I usually serve it with some kalamata olives and crusty bread on the table (and a good bottle of red wine of course!). As for serving risotto as a side dish, I would agree with French_vanilla, maybe serve it alongside something a little lighter such as white fish or maybe even a chicken scallopine in a panko/lemon zest crust. Don't be afraid to get creative! I find that risotto freezes quite well, so if there's alot of leftovers, pop them in some tupperware and in to your freezer. It makes a good lunch on those days when you're pressed for time. thumbsup

Likes (0)

#4 Wed 05 Mar 08 11:40pm

madamada

Forum super champ
Occupation living life
From Friuli northern Italy
Member since Mon 14 Jan 08

a simple risotto with saffron goes well with ossibuchi (marrowbones??) and potato puree

I do not think it is too heavvy for lunch on Sunday big_smile

Likes (0)

#5 Thu 06 Mar 08 2:07pm

SonomaEddie

Forum super champ
Occupation Chief cook and bottle washer
From Northern California
Member since Sat 10 Feb 07

A nice seafood risotto works well as a standalone dish.   I would steam the seafood mixture--say, some clams, mussles and prawns--and use the juice to cook the rice.  Have a nice salad to go with and some crusty bread. ( Personally, I would commit the great sin of adding cheese to the finished risotto, too!)
Eddie

Likes (0)

#6 Fri 07 Mar 08 5:41pm

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Autumn is officially here, so I can get back to soupN risotto, osso bucco and all sorts of braises and stews with home- made bread. Yummo!

Have the feeling that I was born in the wrong Hemisphere.

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#7 Sun 09 Mar 08 10:08am

h2a2y2

Member since Sat 08 Mar 08

im going to try and make risotto for the very first time but i dont like seafood or white creamy sauces,
any one know a tomatoe based risotto? help  help  help

Likes (0)

#8 Wed 12 Mar 08 4:05am

Sconniegal

Occupation diplomat's wife (nuf said)
From Monteal & New Hampshire
Member since Wed 12 Mar 08

Hi,  I'm new here and don't want to be disloyal to Jamie, but I have a great Risotto cookbook that lists, among others:  garlic ris, genoese ris (onion mushrooms toms parmesan), ris with tom ragu, tom and basil ris, Sicilian ris (onion, cloves, wine, olives, capers, toms, lemon, oregano). If you wanted one I could post it.  Couple of thoughts tho:  risotto is one of my favourite comfort foods, and is so adaptable, I often just get started and put in what I have to hand that I think will go nicely.  Once you get the hang of the long gentle stirring and quantity of liquid you need, so you know how it should turn out, start experimenting!  Hope this helps.

Likes (0)

#9 Wed 12 Mar 08 8:45am

madamada

Forum super champ
Occupation living life
From Friuli northern Italy
Member since Mon 14 Jan 08

I've recently learned that rice must be warmed  and briefly toasted in an empty pan while you stir it, only after that you add to it the gently smoothed onion  you kept in another pan, from this moment on you keep adding hot stock (I use vegetable stock) and the whole must not stop boiling.
A very disordered way to tell a recipe, with something new  I hope, I found a significant difference proceeding like that

Likes (0)

#10 Wed 12 Mar 08 9:48am

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

madamada wrote:

a simple risotto with saffron goes well with ossibuchi (marrowbones??) and potato puree

I do not think it is too heavvy for lunch on Sunday big_smile

Your making me drool here madamada smile  .. i remember lots of sunday lunches like that.. well it wasn't saffron risotto , it was risotto made with real sauce.   Being from northern italy i am sure you know what i mean smile  nice dense rich meat sauce with only a small bit of tomato.   yummy  yummy I have to say it is still my favourite risotto..  and then having the marrowbones and scooping it out onto some fresh crusty pane .   cool  cool

Only a fool argues with a skunk, a mule or a cook.  { cowboy saying}
    Likes (0)