forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Wed 19 Mar 08 8:43pm

bmoon

From Bavaria
Member since Wed 02 Nov 05

fast, cheap, healthy meals for students

hey guys,

after eating instant meals for one year, I want to change my foodplan. So, do you have any easy, cheap, healthy meals for me (and all other students)?

thanks, bmoon

Likes (0)

#2 Wed 19 Mar 08 8:59pm

DominicNoBe

Member since Wed 02 Jan 08

Re: fast, cheap, healthy meals for students

bmoon wrote:

hey guys,

after eating instant meals for one year, I want to change my foodplan. So, do you have any easy, cheap, healthy meals for me (and all other students)?

thanks, bmoon

minute rice
chicken broth
thawed shrimp
old bay
frozen okra
frozen onions
salt
pepper
canned diced tomatoes

boil broth
add rice, frozen okra, onions, diced tomatoes, salt, pepper, old bay...add shrimp about 2 minutes before the dish is done...

eat

leftovers...the next day...in good chicken broth...add everything into simmering chicken brother and heat through for soup...

pasta...pound of dry pasta...fresh tomatoes...olive oil...chicken broth (reduce)...grated parm...

if you lived with me you would have more...but i usually just look in the fridge and determine what i can make that day...it centers around lettuce salads, chicken, rice, pasta, pasta salads, potato salads...fresh ingredients are the TICKET!  you can get them cheap if you go to local growers of co-ops.

Likes (0)

#3 Thu 20 Mar 08 5:44am

Dragoriana

Occupation Looking for the dream job
From Melbourne, Oz
Member since Fri 10 Aug 07

Hi there. I'm not a student, but i like to do bulk cooking so that i can have about 6 or 7 meals to freeze in one go. The last thing i made was pasta & pesto chicken.

Just cook up as much pasta as you will need depending on the meals, any pasta or noodles can be used. Thinly slice some chicken breast, cook it through on the pan. When cooked add in a basil pesto and let it cook for another 10 or so minutes (make sure the chicken is covered). You can mix the pasta and chicken if you like, but i just put the chicken on top of each lot of noodles smile Divide up into meals and freeze, or just invite everyone over and eat it all up that night lol/

Likes (0)

#4 Thu 20 Mar 08 9:46am

theresabritz79

Occupation Operations Manager
From Johannesburg
Member since Mon 16 Oct 06

Hi there,
I currently working and studying part time. My aim is quick food but healthy and this is what I do for food:
I buy fresh meat and re-pack them in single portions before freezing - usaully mince, fillet and chicken breasts. (easy to defrost, cut in strips etc)
Stock up on instant noodles (propably not so healthy BUT quick)
Lots of fresh fruits and veggies and live yogurt.
I invested in a blender and when I dont have energy to cook I make fruit and yogurt smoothies. When I dont feel like yogurt I just add ice to the fruit in the blender and call it - Slushies
I stirfry my meat cause it goes quick and then add fresh veggies and herbs and sauce - viola and that can also go on top of the instant noodles.
T cool

Likes (0)

#5 Thu 20 Mar 08 10:48pm

AskCy

Occupation Engineer
From Lancashire
Member since Tue 11 Mar 08

For cheap and quick you almost certainly can't go wrong with Italian dishes !

Pasta can boil in the time it takes to throw some tomato, onion and a few herbs in a pan. From there you could add meat, poultry, fish or even just serve it as it comes (maybe with a generous handfull of grated cheese).

Jamie has done lots of quick pasta recipes over the years, check out his books, tv shows etc....

Steve

Likes (0)

#6 Fri 21 Mar 08 2:21am

Cindy

Forum champ
Occupation Registered Nurse
From Adelaide, OZ
Member since Tue 03 Aug 04

theresabritz79 wrote:

Hi there,
I currently working and studying part time. My aim is quick food but healthy and this is what I do for food:
I buy fresh meat and re-pack them in single portions before freezing - usaully mince, fillet and chicken breasts. (easy to defrost, cut in strips etc)

A cheaper option is to use chicken thigh fillets, they have heaps more flavour and one is all that is needed for one serve.

By chuck or stewing steak and mince it yourself, that way you have control over the fat content and it is two or three dollars cheaper per kilogram. EG (in Oz) chuck steak is on average $9kg, premium or choice grade (no or very low fat) mince is $11 - $13kg.

I also make large batches of my own tomato pasta sauces using tinned tomatoes, fresh herbs etc and freeze it.

I make my own pesto from home grown basil, or even bought from the greengrocers when it is cheap and in season, and freeze it.

Pasta is cheap, rice is cheap, things like various asian noodles are cheap and can be used as a foundation for heaps of various meals with plenty of fresh veg and very little meat.

Likes (0)

#7 Fri 21 Mar 08 4:26pm

SuperFoodie1

Member since Tue 19 Feb 08

I dont know about you but I think being a student is a great time to break away from familiar food and to try something new that maybe would never be seen in the inside of your parents kitchen.

The easiest and cheapest way to experience some fantastic new flavours is to invest in some of the seasoning mixes that are beginning to become available. As an example, you can buy these online from www.thebestpossibletaste.co.uk for 84p a packet (which would last you several meals)

For example you might have heard of Peri Peri?  This is now a fast food chain serving spicy chicken.  The origin is Portugal where most towns have one.  Peri Peri (or Piri Piri) is available as a seasoning mix you can add to your own chicken.  Would be a very popular offering to your friends. yummy

Sticking with chicken you could also use Jalfrezei Mix or Fajita seasoning, Cajun or Creole seasoning or even just some Lemon Pepper -so it's all chicken but completely different meals. Exploring world seasonings like Baharat or Ras-El- Hanout might lead you to lamb.

More importantly many of the recently 'rediscovered' dishes like Poudre de Colombo (Caribbean Curry) are peasant in origin which means the recipes (easily available on the net) are often geared to very basic cooking arrangements - often being one pot meals you serve with bread of some kind.  Perfect for students with restricted kitchen facilities and not much enthusiasm for washing up!

Have fun experimenting, and enjoy the freedom of being able to cook what you fancy and not having to consider having to make a meal appeal to an entire family - which in my case means one vegetarian, one who wont eat green vegetables, one who is dairy intolerant, one who doesnt like any fish except tuna! exclaim

Likes (0)

#8 Fri 21 Mar 08 5:04pm

cookinlovebird

Forum champ
Occupation working
From West Midlands United Kingdom
Member since Wed 05 Dec 07

Tuna Pasta

pasta shells or bows
tin of tuna
pasta sauce

cook pasta, add sauce and tuna

veggie pasta

pasta shells or bows
courgettes grated or chopped into slices
tin of toms
garlic

cook pasta, fry garlic and courgettes, add toms

veggie pasta

pasta bows or twists
tin of toms or jar of sauce
garlic
chilli red
yellow pepper

cook pasta, fry garlic and chilli add pepper and fry until soft add to toms or sauce

cauliflower curry

rice
cauliflower
jar curry sauce

cook rice and cauilflower, add cauliflower to sauce

cookinlovebird

Likes (0)

#9 Fri 28 Mar 08 3:24am

VENUS

Forum champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Easy Baked Chicken Breasts with Worcestershire
4 bone-in chicken breasts
Garlic powder
Salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce

Spray or rub just a bit of olive oil one each breast. Sprinkle the chicken breasts with garlic powder, salt and pepper. Place in a baking dish skin side up. Pour the Worcestershire sauce over them. Cover tightly with foil.

Bake at 375 for 45 minutes. Remove the foil and bake another 15 minutes, or until done.

Variation: Instead of Worcestershire sauce, sprinkle with brown sugar.

Quick Beef and Rice

1 pound ground beef or turkey
2 cups rice
1 package onion soup mix
4 cups water
1 15 oz. can cream of mushroom soup

Brown the ground meat and drain if necessary. Add soup mix, rice, soup, and water and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes, till rice is done.

Options: You can leave out the cream of soup if you don't have it or just make a simple white sauce. If you don't have any onion soup mix, sauté an onion and add 2 tsp. beef bouillon instead.

Shrimp, Peas, and Peppers over Pasta
2 Tbs butter
2 Tbs flour
1/2 cup cream
1 1/2 cups milk
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp dried parsley
1 tsp dried basil
2-3 Tbs Parmesan cheese, grated
salt and pepper to taste
a dash of Worcestershire
a dash of Tabasco
1 red pepper, cut in 1/2" strips
a cup of snap or snow peas (in the pod)
1 pound shrimp
1/2 - 3/4 pound pasta

Put a big pot of water on to boil for your pasta.

Put a smaller pot of water on to boil for your shrimp and vegetables. Since I had the idea of cooking the shrimp in chicken broth I added a bit of chicken bouillon to my water for flavor.

Melt the butter and stir in the flour. Cook a minute or two stirring constantly. Slowly add the milk and cream, stirring to incorporate so you don't get lumps. Bring to a low simmer, stirring a lot, then cook a few minutes to thicken. Stir in the garlic, Parmesan, salt, pepper, Worcestershire, and Tabasco. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and keep warm until everything else is ready. Stir now and then.

Cook the pasta in your big pot and add the shrimp and vegetables to the smaller pot. You could, I realize, probably cook this all together in one pot if you timed it good so that everything was done at the same time. Cook the shrimp and vegetables just until the shrimp is done, about 3-4 minutes. Drain (and drain the pasta when done too, of course).

Mix the shrimp and vegetables with the sauce and serve over pasta.

Likes (0)