forum: Food & Drink

#1 Thu 20 Mar 08 11:31pm

ANN

Forum champ
From North Carolina
Member since Thu 15 Jul 04

Happy Easter! here's one of my favorite roast recipes.

Thanks Jamie!  I've never done a roast lamb before, but want to try!   I just watched the episode of Jamie at Home on Roast lamb and it made me want to give it a go.   smile

Likes (0)

#2 Thu 20 Mar 08 11:34pm

chacha1103

Occupation High School kid
From Ottawa, Canada
Member since Tue 23 Oct 07

Re: Happy Easter! here's one of my favorite roast recipes.

Great recipe. Since you asked on the front page, I'm trying to convince my parents to let me roast some lamb buuuuttt they dont want to risk letting me cook something so monumental. Roasting a duck was fine with them but lamb NOOO. Such is life. roll  wink Thanks for the recipe and I loooooovvveeeeeee Jamie at home! Just got it as it just came out in Canada.

Cheers,
Chase

Likes (0)

#3 Thu 20 Mar 08 11:44pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

I cooked a shoulder of Welsh Lamb for my family last weekend, it was realy very tender.
Like all meat its worth buying the best that you can afford.

I am planning a trip along to the farmers market Saturday morning for a leg of Welsh Lamb as that is a traditional in our family for Easter Sunday lunch.

I have to admit that I have never thought a
of cooking a shoulder of lamb with Cranberry Juice before,
I do often put redcurrent jelly in the lamb gravy , I know that many people might think this a little odd but it realy does work.
I have also been known to put a spoonfull or two of Cranberry sauce into lamb gravy and this works well also.

and.. I have never thought about having the shoulder boned before either.. hmm  I think that if I did this I might be tempted cook the bone in the roasting tray along side the rolled joint of lamb for added flavour.

Likes (0)

#4 Fri 21 Mar 08 12:21am

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

Happy Easter Jamie - amd all.

I've been wondering which way to do lamb this Easter. I was going to poach it for a change, but this looks even better, and I've got all the ingredients to hand so may give it a go.

I'll have to bone the shoulder first, but that's no hardship.

Thanks again - I wondered why I bought those butternut squash today smile

Likes (0)

#5 Fri 21 Mar 08 5:02am

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Hi Jamie and all. Thanks for the recipe, JO.

Since kids are half Greek, it will be lamb, of course, though it's not at it's best at this time of year, being Autumnal rather than Spring.Having said that, we have very strict rules regulating what is lamb (v what is mutton). The inspectors at the abattoirs have to give the "nod" for the lamb to be stamped with a pink label stating it is lamb and give other various details on the carcass.

All hell would break loose if the lamb wasn't studded with sprigs of rosemary from the garden and slivers of garlic and roasted on a rack. Served with roast potatoes in duck fat, sweet potato and peas. Pretty boring.

I don't make a gravy (flour based) as such. It's more of a reduction--> jus, but Mummza, I do paint the lamb with cranberry sauce for the last half hour (and longer and it will burn because of the sugar content) and add a small amount to the reduction after I have skimmed the fat. I add by taste- not too sweet.

And to think that Greek Easter is a month away. Here we will go again ...wink

Likes (0)

#6 Fri 21 Mar 08 8:27am

madamada

Forum super champ
Occupation living life
From Friuli northern Italy
Member since Mon 14 Jan 08

Hi Jamie Buona Pasqua to you,

I've seen a 15 days old tibet young goat, which has been fed with biberon beeing a twin, she springs everywhere like a cartoon, I'm half vegetarian, I think I'm on the way to become an all-way-round vegetables addicct.

mandi from Friuli

Likes (0)

#7 Fri 21 Mar 08 11:54am

cookinlovebird

Forum champ
Occupation working
From West Midlands United Kingdom
Member since Wed 05 Dec 07

Happy Easter

Hi Jamie and family

I to was thinking something different, going to in laws for sunday dinner and its a turkey roast dinner, so on monday we are having our special dinner and we are going to have either roast beef with all the vegs roasted aswell and a plum crumble ( gluten and wheat free) and soya cream for pud. Or pot roast pork with roasted parsnips and a swede and potato mash and for pud rum baba (gluten free and wheat free) drizzled with soya cream.

Hope everyone has a great time with family and friends

cookinlovebird smile
But I will try your roast lamb dinner as soon as I get the chance its sounds just great but I need to sub the creme for soya cream

Likes (0)

#8 Fri 21 Mar 08 4:40pm

eschulz

Occupation Computer Tech
From Aurora, Colorado USA
Member since Tue 08 Jan 08

Happy Easter to Jamie and All!!!!!!

I was going to make the standard for my family..ham, for dinner but I think I am going to try this recipe and hopefully change the standard for my family. This looks great and I can not wait to try it. 

Take care all

Likes (0)

#9 Fri 21 Mar 08 5:35pm

Sheff

Member since Sun 15 Jan 06

Hi Jamie,

Happy Easter to you and your family.

Well, I am cooking for a couple of soldier friends of mine on Sat night.

Cooking tandori chicken (wholechicken) with rice salad and naan bread.

Got the chicken marinating for 24hrs, rice is taken care of which leaves me with the naans.

Any quick and tasty recipes for naans, pref spicy mate!!

Kinds regards

Sergeant Lee Elliott
Royal Corps of Signals
British Army

Likes (0)

#10 Fri 21 Mar 08 5:50pm

falconcy

Forum champ
Occupation Project Manager
From Limassol, Cyprus
Member since Tue 19 Dec 06

Try substituting pomegranate juice for the cranberry, goes way better with the lamb.whistle

Likes (0)