forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Tue 25 Mar 08 6:26pm

young mum

Forum champ
Member since Tue 22 Mar 05

dried anchovy and dried shrimp, Help needed

Has any one got any recipes to share, brought these out of curiosity?

Likes (0)

#2 Tue 25 Mar 08 7:45pm

AskCy

Occupation Engineer
From Lancashire
Member since Tue 11 Mar 08

Re: dried anchovy and dried shrimp, Help needed

I would think they would be more for adding flavour than using for a specific recipe.

Steve

Likes (0)

#3 Wed 26 Mar 08 1:29am

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

I've been looking for Blachan - fermented dried shrimp paste - for ages - where did you get it??

I use dried shimps themselves (sourced fro the Wing Yip Supermarket) to add flavour to fish stocks and soups. You don't need a lot - its a flavouring rather than a main ingredient, but I'll throw a ahndful in while making Tom Yum, or almost any clear asian soup - I don't have a specific recipe, but I am sure that you wil find something with an internet search.

Here's a recipe for Sambal Nasi Lemak, which uses dried anchocies:-

http://www.recipezaar.com/154289

Likes (0)

#4 Wed 26 Mar 08 1:11pm

young mum

Forum champ
Member since Tue 22 Mar 05

Thanks for the replies. Geoff, i brought them from Wing Yip. Have'nt seen Blachan in there, must keep an eye out for you Cheers  big_smile

Likes (0)

#5 Wed 26 Mar 08 3:34pm

Stefanie

Forum champ
From Flashing my gold
Member since Fri 09 Jul 04

young mum...dried shrimp is excellent in a soup base however here is a fab recipe using dried shrimp..I love it over rice or else a little olive oil with garlic sauteed in...some pasta...toss with this...yikes!! It will blow your socks off!

SPICED SHRIMP FLOSS:
4 tbsp peanut oil
1 large red onion
20 lime leaves
However much dried chilli you can take,start anywhere from 8 to 15
50ml coconut milk
50ml tamarind juice (about 50g fresh tamarind paste and enough water to make 50ml...squeezed and strained for juice)
3 heaped tbsp brown sugar
170g dried prawns,washed in 3 changes of water,blitzed till fine

HOW:
Soak dried chillies in hot water for 20 minutes,drain
Blitz onions,chilli and lime leaves to a paste in the processor.
Heat up the oil,fry this paste with sugar and a pinch of salt till almost caramelised.
Add in the tamarind juice and coconut milk,turn the heat down and add in shrimp.
Keep it moving and frying till fragrant,heady and almost dry. This should be done over a low heat...and take about 15 minutes.

Otherwise I love it in this veg recipe:
CRISPY EGGPLANT WITH SPICED SHRIMP FLOSS TOPPING:

Wonderful dish hot or cold,I promise you that you'll love it.

YOU NEED:
2 to 3 long purple eggplants (the kind you can find at Asian groceries,not your conventional purplish black aubergine)
Looks like this: http://www.spacerad.com/rabbit/eggplant.jpg

150 to 200g dried shrimp
2 tbsp minced garlic
2 to 3 red chillies,minced up,you can choose to deseed them
Handful of fresh curry leaves
1/2 tsp brown sugar
knob of butter
2 tbsp of oil

1 egg beaten with pinch of pepper,salt and 1 tbsp water
Cornflour to coat

HOW:
Slice your eggplant diagonally into slanted slices,watch out for any unwelcome lodgers in there...i.e worms. Quite obviously,discard the eggplant,I always buy one or two extra just in case.

Wash the dried shrimp,then blitz in the processor till fine.

Heat up some oil for shallow frying. Coat the eggplant in egg,then dust with cornflour,shake off excess. Fry till crisp and brown on both sides. Drain on kitchen towels. Don't leave them piled up,they will steam and the coating goes soggy which is well,yucky. Try to spread them out in one layer whilst draining.

For the floss,heat up a frying pan with the knob of butter and the oil. Toss in the curry leaves,chilli and blitzed up shrimp. Fry around for 3 to 4 minutes,then add the garlic and sugar. Reduce heat a little,fry this mixture,constantly stirring and stirring till golden brown,takes about 5 more minutes. Don't be impatient and turn up the heat, or the garlic will catch,it goes bitter and you have to start over. Don't walk away either. You will not need any salt for this.

Turn off the heat,leave it in the pan to crisp up further,then sprinkle all over your eggplant,scrummy!

Dried anchovies are excellent with beer because they taste awesome when shallow fried in medium low heat till crisp then sprinkled with some sugar to taste,as well as some deep fried basil/curry leaves. Toss with the anchovies to infuse...let cool and then store in an air-tight container. Fairly interesting twist instead serving the same old bar nuts...

Likes (0)

#6 Thu 27 Mar 08 2:23am

VENUS

Forum champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Anchovies with Peanuts

Ingredients
80 g (3 oz) dried anchovies (4-6 cm length)
100 g (3.5 oz) cooked peanuts (without skins)
2 cups vegetable oil
2 large green or red chillies, sliced
3 cloves garlic, chopped roughly
3 stalks scallions, chopped
1 tablespoon rice wine
Pinch pepper

Method

Heat oil in a wok to 120 degrees C. (248 F.) and deep fry fish for about 1 minute. Remove and drain.
Remove most of oil from wok, leaving just enough for stir-frying.
Reheat wok, add chilli peppers, scallions, garlic, and rice wine, and stir-fry for 2 minutes.
Add fish and peanuts, stir fry for 4 or 5 minutes

su-jae-bi - soup
Ingredients:
   4 cups of flour,
2 cups of water,
2 potatoes,
1 zucchini,
dried anchovies 50 g,
1 egg,
a pinch of salt,
1 stalk of green onion,
4 cloves of garlic. 

Preparation:
Mix the flour and water and knead carefully.
Place the finished dough in a plastic bag (if done for appx 15-30 minute, the dough will become softer).

Place the dried anchovies in a pot of about 10 cups of water and let it boil for about 20 minutes.
Then take the 2 potatoes (peeled), zucchinis cut into half moon pieces (appx 0.5 cm in thickness) and add to the pot.
(Removal of anchovies afterward is optional.)

Take the dough from the plastic bag and flatten it out and tear pieces off that resembles small sheets of paper (5cm x 5cm) and add to the boiling pot.
(The pieces should be added to the pot as soon as you tear them off so that they don't stick together.)

After the dough has been cooked, add a pinch of salt for taste and the green onions (cut in lengths of about 3cm).
Add the garlic, which should be finely chopped, and let it boil once again before you eat it.

Chinese Cabbage with Dried Shrimp
3 tablespoons dried shrimp
1-1/2 pounds Chinese cabbage
1/4 cup oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons Chicken Stock
Place dried shrimp in small bowl and cover with hot water. Let sit for 15 minutes. Cut cabbage into pieces about 1-1/2 inch square. Set aside.

Heat oil in a work over medium-high heat. Drain shrimp and add to wok. Stir fry for 1 minute. Then add garlic and stir fry for a few seconds. Add the cabbage and stir fry for 1 minute. Then stir in salt and broth. Serve hot.

Braised Tofu with Dried Shrimp

Ingredients :
2 pieces (10 oz) Tofu
2 tablespoons Small dried shrimp
2 Spring onions
1 Red chili
1 tablespoon Sugar
1 tablespoon Soy sauce
1 teaspoon Salt

Method :
Cut tofu into large pieces.
Each piece is then cut into 3-4 smaller pieces.
Rub each piece with salt evenly.
Soften dried shrimp in water.
Diagonally cut spring onions into 2 cm pieces.
Leave some part of the green leaf portion to shred finely.
Remove seeds from the red chili, then shred.
Heat 3 cups oil in a wok until boiling hot.
Deep-fry tofu over high heat until golden brown.
Scoop out and drip dry.
Leave 2 tablespoons oil in the wok.
Put in dried shrimp, onion and stir-fry until fragrant.
Add tofu, soy sauce, sugar and a little water.
Braise over low heat for 5 minutes.
Turn once during cooking.
Sprinkle with shredded spring onion and chili for serving.

Likes (0)

#7 Thu 09 Oct 08 2:08pm

wildsky

Member since Thu 09 Oct 08

Do dried prawns need to be kept in the fridge as it says on the packet ?
They weren't in the shop , and as the use by date is 2010 ,and drying is how some things were preserved before refrigeration ,I suspect it's just some beaurocratic fear thing.

Likes (0)

#8 Thu 09 Oct 08 2:44pm

cookinlovebird

Forum champ
Occupation working
From West Midlands United Kingdom
Member since Wed 05 Dec 07

Hi Wildsky

Welcome glad you have joined us!!

Just store it in a dark place and once opened use an air tight container

cookinlovebird smile

Likes (0)

#9 Thu 09 Oct 08 2:54pm

bcrain

Forum champ
Occupation Duty Free Lancome and Fragrance sales
From Greater Vancouver
Member since Mon 23 Oct 06

Hi! This one looked interesting and there are more recipies on the side too. Ilove Korean food. http://www.ifood.tv/recipe/stirfried_dr … i_bokkeum. yummy

Hi again... I had a problem when I wanted to view this page. So I found it here, www.ifood.tv and type in dried anchovies in the search box. Actually they have really nice recipies here. Iam going to use it too.

My Korean friend told me to keep any unused anchovies in the freezer.

Last edited by bcrain (Thu 09 Oct 08 3:04pm)

Likes (0)

#10 Sat 11 Oct 08 7:05pm

kazyz

Member since Sat 11 Oct 08

Dried shrimp are used frequently in Thai cooking especially for spicy "yam" salads - the most famous of these is perhaps "Som tum", spicy green papaya salad. "Yam" aka salads are unique in Thai cuisine, being made of fruits like pineapple or green papaya, mixed with a basic spicy sauce of fish sauce, lime juice, palm sugar, and hot Thai chilies or a vegetable based salad combined with seafood or meats etc. You can find a description of dried shrimps at templeofthai.com and also a recommendation to refrigerate them (else they can go moldy).
Oh and an even more popular use of dried shrimp is in the dish Pad Thai!  smile

Dried anchovies are also important in Thai cooking and can be used in a similar way - they are most often deep fried until crispy and then can again be added to spicy Yam salads, like with 'Sam-Oh', which is very similar to Grapefruit. making a salty, sour, spicy and slightly sweet salad, zippy!!

Likes (0)