forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Fri 28 Mar 08 10:00am

Smo_Kin

Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Lemon Sago pudding

At school in the mid 70"s we made the most yummy Lemon Sago Pudding.
The recipe came from a book called "The Australian Way Of Cooking. I have yet to find the recipe or one very similar. Any ideas, thanks

Likes (0)

#2 Fri 28 Mar 08 4:28pm

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

Re: Lemon Sago pudding

Its an old English recipe - there are several variations.

Try this search:-

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Lemon+Sago+Pudding

Likes (0)

#3 Sat 29 Mar 08 1:23am

zippets

Occupation Mum
From Perth, Western Australia
Member since Thu 09 Aug 07

Smo_Kin wrote:

In 1978 we made the most yummy Lemon Sago Pudding in Home
Ecomonmics at school. The recipe came from a book called "The
Australian Way of Cooking". Thirty years later I am yet to find that
recipe or anything similar. Can anyone help

Smo Kin

Here are the recipes I posted for you yesterday smile

Some recipes I make for my children.

BERRY LEMON SAGO (you can omit the berries - I have used this recipe with & without)

Ingredients (serves 8):
1 litre (4 cups) milk
4 x 5cm strips lemon rind
100g (1/2 cup) sago
80g (1/3 cup) caster sugar
2 tbs honey
1 lemon, rind finely grated
2 tbs fresh lemon juice
250g (1 punnet) strawberries, hulled, halved
150g (1 punnet) blueberries
double cream or vanilla ice-cream (optional), to serve

Method
Place the milk and lemon rind strips in a medium saucepan. Gradually bring to a simmer over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 2 minutes. Use tongs to remove, and discard, lemon rind.
Stir the sago into the milk. Simmer over low heat, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 20-25 minutes or until the sago resembles translucent jelly-like balls.
Remove from heat. Stir in sugar, honey, grated lemon rind and lemon juice. Pour into a large heatproof bowl. Set aside for 30 minutes to cool.
Divide the sago mixture evenly among serving glasses or bowls. Place in the fridge for at least 2 hours to chill. Before serving, spoon berries over the sago mixture. Serve with double cream or ice-cream, if using.
Source

Australian Good Taste - January 2001 , Page 67
Recipe by Amber Keller & Bettina Jenkins
Australian Good Taste - January 2001

SAGO PUDDING (one my mother always made when we were children & the recipe is from her mother so it is very simple)

Ingredients:
1 level dessertspoon cornflour
2 dessertspoons sago
1 rounded dessertspoon sugar
2 eggs
600ml milk
Vanilla essence
Pinch salt

Put the sago in milk place over a low heat.  Separate the eggs – beat yolks with cornflour, sugar and vanilla.  Add this to the hot milk, stir until it bubbles then take it off the heat.  Whip egg whites with salt and fold into custard.  Put into a bowl and sprinkle with coconut.
Chill.  Decorate with whipped cream & cherries if desired.

SAGO PUDDING WITH MANGO PUREE (I didn’t use the star anise as I had none & it was still yummy)

Ingredients:
1 cup water
100g palm sugar
1 star anise
¾ cup sago
¼ cup (60ml) coconut cream
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
pinch of salt
2 mango cheeks, pureed (frozen are fine)
2 tablespoons shredded coconut, toasted

Bring 1 cup of water to the boil in a small saucepan. Break up palm sugar, add to water and cook until sugar has dissolved. Add star anise and cook over a medium heat. Reduce until syrupy.
Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil and add sago, stirring to prevent sticking. Simmer for 15 minutes or until sago is just transparent. Drain through a sieve and rinse with cold water.
Place sago into a large bowl and stir through palm sugar syrup, coconut cream, vanilla and salt.
Divide amongst 4 small decorative glasses and allow to set in the fridge (about 2 hours).
Just before serving, top with mango puree and toasted shredded coconut

SAGO PUDDINGS WITH SPICED PINEAPPLE

Ingredients:
1 cup (220g) sugar
1 cup (250ml) water
1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
1 cup (200g) chopped fresh pineapple
1 cup (250ml) water, extra
¾ cup (200g) palm sugar
1 star anise
1¼ cups (250g) sago
½ cup (125ml) coconut cream
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
pinch salt
½ cup (40g) shredded coconut, toasted

Combine sugar and water in a medium pan; stir over medium heat until the sugar is dissolved. Measure syrup; you will need 1 cup/250ml. Bring syrup to a simmer; add ginger then pineapple and cook for 1 minute.
Drain & reserve syrup.
Return the pineapple to the same pan and cook until just starting to caramelise.
Bring the 1 cup extra water to the boil in a small saucepan. Break up palm sugar and add to water, cook until sugar is dissolved. Add star anise, simmer, uncovered, over medium heat until reduced to a syrup.
Meanwhile, bring a large saucepan of water to the boil; add sago, stirring, to prevent sticking. Simmer for 15 minutes or until sago is just transparent. Drain through a sieve and rinse with cold water.
Place sago in a large bowl; stir in palm sugar mixture, coconut cream, vanilla and salt. Cool.
Divide among eight 2/3 cup (150ml) moulds or glasses; refrigerate until set, about 2 hours.
Serve puddings with pineapple and coconut.
*optional* Pour over some of the reserved syrup.

Likes (0)

#4 Sat 29 Mar 08 4:08am

frizz1974

Forum super champ
Occupation Mother of 2 working more than full time
From Wallerawang, Oz
Member since Wed 29 Jun 05

WOW! Go Zippets!  thumbsup

Likes (0)