forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Tue 01 Apr 08 2:23pm

karetringula

From switzerland
Member since Tue 15 Nov 05

preserved lemons

Hi all,
I once saw in tv Jamie preserving lemons in a big glass with salt as a fast christmas gift,I think.But I absolutely can't remember the method and also can't find the recipe anywhere in a book.
Is there anybody to help me with the recipe? help

Likes (0)

#2 Tue 01 Apr 08 2:35pm

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

Re: preserved lemons

Simple enough.

Sterilize a few big jars.

Get some good unwaxed lemons, the smaller the better. Cut down in quarters almost through to the bottom, but still leaving intact.

Fill the centre with coarse sea salt - as much as you can pack in.

Put lemons in jar, and squash down well - use the end of a rolling pin.

Top up the jar with extra lemon juice, and scrunch up a sheet of greaseproof paper, to put in the jar top to hold the lemons under the liquid.

Leave in a warm place - a sunny windowsill is ideal - for a week or two - then they'll be ready and keep in the fridge for months.

To use, see your recipe, or take out a lemon, scrape off the flesh - you just want the skin - and either use whole or cut into julienne strips.

Wonderful with chicken :-)

Likes (0)

#3 Tue 01 Apr 08 2:35pm

madamada

Forum super champ
Occupation living life
From Friuli northern Italy
Member since Mon 14 Jan 08

http://www.mykitcheninhalfcups.com/My_K … _Lemon.htm

I've never tried it, may be you like it

I only experimented simple recipes from Claudia Roden mediterranean cuisine, and they worked good

Likes (0)

#4 Wed 02 Apr 08 3:53am

Burkey

Occupation Self-employed
From Brisbane, Australia
Member since Wed 06 Feb 08

Hi Karetringula!  I have included this recipe I have because it gives a few more suggestions for use.  Together with previous posts & hints, you should definitely be on the right track.  You will note a difference for pickling/storing and I presume this may have something to do with climate.  I also thought if you were giving this as a gift and the recipient was unfamiliar with the use, these suggestions would give more variety of application.  Cheers!

Preserved Lemons

Choose ripe, unblemished lemons.
Wash the lemons, quarter them lengthwise without cutting all the way through, but leave intact at the stalk end.
Pack coarse rock or sea salt into the cuts then close the fruit.  Put the lemons into a steriilised jar – its important to pack the fruit tightly.
Completely cover the fruit with freshly squeezed lemon juice.
Keep the jar in a cool dark place for a week, so that the salt can draw out the juices and the skin soften.
The preserved lemons will be ready for use in three or four weeks.
Once you have opened the jar, pour a thin layer of olive oil on top as a protective film and store in the fridge.  The lemons will keep well for several months.

To use preserved lemons:  rinse off the salt and discard the flesh – it is just the peel that is used.  Chop the peel finely and mix it into salad, rice dishes, chicken casseroles, Moroccan tagines or wherever you want a mellow, lemon flavour.

Other Ideas:  For a delicious twist, mix a little chopped lemon peel into a stuffing for roast chicken or lamb.
If you appreciate seafood, a little peel stirred into a seafood risotto is terrific.
Trust this is helpful.

Likes (0)

#5 Wed 02 Apr 08 11:44am

Asahi

Occupation Aquaculture
From Australia
Member since Sat 10 Jul 04

Excellent..I was just thinking of how to preserve lemons today.  My dwarf meyer lemon tree has its first crop ripening at the moment.  Looks as though I'll have enough to preserve in  a few weeks crossed

Likes (0)

#6 Thu 03 Apr 08 5:51pm

karetringula

From switzerland

Geoff,madamada,Burkey,
Thanks! madamada,unfortunately I can't open the site.
And Geoff and Burkey seem so talk about the same recipe,so I can compare and be sure it's correct! big_smile
I must be the recipe I searched for,because I remember jamie cutting the fruits in quarters (not completely) and filled with salt.But i didn't remember about the lemon-juice.
Asahi,let's start gathering lemons wink

Likes (0)

#7 Fri 04 Apr 08 8:47am

madamada

Forum super champ
Occupation living life

I'm sorry but this happened to me either yesterday, try starting from looking up "preserved lemons claudia roden" on Google, I hope this works

ciao

Likes (0)

#8 Fri 04 Apr 08 9:47am

karetringula

From switzerland

madamada,now I could check!Thanks.Sounds also interesting,the marrocan way with spices.

Likes (0)

#9 Fri 04 Apr 08 9:57am

madamada

Forum super champ
Occupation living life

If you manage to get a book on mediterranean recipes by Claudia Roden you will found many interesting tricks to experiment, I started making home made yogurt reading the very simple procedure she describes

I haven't yet tried this about preserved lemons, but in effect why should we preserve them as they are always at hand ??? Does the lemon rind have a different taste??

ciao

Likes (0)

#10 Fri 04 Apr 08 11:17am

karetringula

From switzerland

to be honest,the main reason why I actually would like to preserve the lemons is because this lemon-filled big jar looks so good.... hmm
I don't have a lemon tree,yet,but once I will,I'm sure.
And for the lemon rind,I actually have (bought) concetrated lemon zest paste,I mainly use for baking,so I don't have to buy a lemon everytime when I only need some zest.
I thought about using the preserved lemons for chicken or fish meals,sauces etc.May be it will work with salads?

Likes (0)