forum: FAQ's

Subscribe to forums RSS

#31 Thu 15 Jul 10 1:08pm

langdon

From london
Member since Sun 26 Apr 09

Re: Knives in a Nutshell

Johanna_t wrote:

Zwilling Henckels is known to be one of the best knife brands. Anyway, germans are known for making very good quality knives. I have 2 FourStar for quite a long time and I'm happy with them. Rarely happens to find good offers for such knives, but I'm still avoiding buying such products online. I like to see them with my eyes before paying the money. Have a look on their website if you are not sure

I also can recommend you  Victorinox They're making knives for the swiss army.
Cheers

I did settle for a victorinox as you advised but looking to upgrade.

quite like the global range. any particular one you would recommend? GS, GF, G series?

Likes (0)

#32 Thu 15 Jul 10 2:03pm

heather6169

Occupation Mum, Nanna, Wife and Fundraiser
From South Penrith, Australia
Member since Fri 11 Jun 10

Well being arthritic I love my Globals. They feel nice in my hand, they are sharp and very good. I actually take my knives every 3 months to a store near me and have them professionally sharpened. I don't think mine have hollow handles as the weight is evenly distributed.
Either way I am happy with them and I think that that is all it boils down to. What you are happy with and what serves your needs best.

Cheers Heather smile

Likes (0)

#33 Sun 12 Sep 10 3:58am

greyhound

Occupation plasterer
From Brisbane
Member since Mon 24 Apr 06

i agree with heather, whatever serves you best. i have a set of scanpan knives ( amongst others) and find them good to use. easy to sharpen off a steel and evry couple of months hone the edge on a stone.
another point heather made is about the weight evenly distributed. a well balanced tool makes all the difference to work. i have both a good hammer at work and a cheap one and the cheap one mkaes me look like steady eddie swingin a baseball bat.

Likes (0)

#34 Sun 12 Sep 10 5:31am

dmfootycoach

From Ontario, Canada
Member since Mon 11 Jan 10

I would have to say each knife company has One knife they make better at its job than others. I love my 6" Rapala for filleting, 4" Buck Knife for gutting and hiding, Henkels cleaver for general butchery, 8" Victorinox for carving. Got sucked into a certain companies stuff package when I first started down this path and yes their stuff holds an edge very well and yes they do cut through 2 3/4 exhaust pipes in a pinch and hold their edge (yes my wife knows! lol ) As Heather and greyhound said they're just too bulky in the hand to use for finer work. Now they just sit and collect dust.

Likes (0)

#35 Sun 12 Sep 10 5:41am

SonomaEddie

Forum super champ
Occupation Chief cook and bottle washer
From Northern California
Member since Sat 10 Feb 07

I have gotten different knives over the years and look at them as lovers.  They are each different and I need to know how each one handles and how each one meets my needs.  Have a huge Henkels butcher's knife that will do anything I want it to do if I handle it right.  Love my boning knife.  One of the first knives I ever really learned to use correctly.  It does my bidding with no problem.  I know what it can do and how to make it do it.  Yes, I love my knives and treat them with respect and a certain amount of domination.

Likes (0)

#36 Sun 12 Sep 10 6:58am

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

Nothing worse than an unbalanced tool..
Or at least that is what my co-workers keep telling  me for seemingly no reason at all .
tongue

Only a fool argues with a skunk, a mule or a cook.  { cowboy saying}
    Likes (0)

#37 Sun 12 Sep 10 7:23am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

lol

Likes (0)

#38 Sun 12 Sep 10 8:15am

greyhound

Occupation plasterer
From Brisbane

you know ashen, a good tradesman never blames his tool and a good employer never hires one whistle

Likes (0)

#39 Sun 12 Sep 10 8:23am

greyhound

Occupation plasterer
From Brisbane

oh, i do remember dad ever only had 2 good knives in his kitchen. a vitorinox butchers knife and surprisingly his boning knife was an old butchers knife that had been sharpened so many times it became his boning knife. i do recall i replaced his butchers knife with stainless steel mundial. that was over 15 yrs ago and its almost ready to become his boning knife.  lol it used to be the best thing to cut a fresh loaf of bread and tomato without having to get another knife

Likes (0)

#40 Mon 18 Oct 10 12:25am

Arghshh

Member since Sun 17 Oct 10

I haven't seen anyone mention Gustav Emil Ern knives, whats the general take on these?

Regards

Ash

Likes (0)