Subscribe to forums RSS

#51 Sat 26 Apr 08 1:18pm

minerva

Forum champ
Occupation Walking the Old Ways
From Living in the Wild Woods
Member since Wed 16 Jan 08

Re: What beer is in your fridge?

....well we are back on the old stand-by in our house,.......banana bread beer! Have you tried anything like it, Ashen (since you seem to like fruit-beers, you might like this one)? Brewed by Wells & Young, it uses fairtrade bananas to give it's particular smell & depth of flavour. Some sweetness, it's not a "sticky"flavour, & a good bitter finish. Only 5.2 abv, best drunk at room temp. or very slightly chilled (or it kills the subtlety of flavour).

I have a friend who drinks mainly lager-type beers & has a real problem with the concept of drinking beers at room temp. Heavier, malty & hoppy English beers lose so much flavour if chilled too much. It seems to bruise them. But can I get him to listen??? To him, a beer's not a beer unless it's cold.................never mind the flavour! angry

Likes (0)

#52 Sat 26 Apr 08 3:26pm

AskCy

Occupation Engineer
From Lancashire
Member since Tue 11 Mar 08

minerva wrote:

best drunk at room temp

now thats a category they should have in the Oscars !  lol

Steve

Likes (0)

#53 Sat 26 Apr 08 3:30pm

Singwhenyoubing

Forum champ
Occupation Professional crisp taster
From Essex.
Member since Mon 24 Mar 08

lol  lol Nice one AskCy,would be too close to call a winner though!

"I'm afraid I was very,very drunk!"

Likes (0)

#54 Sat 26 Apr 08 3:36pm

maltman

Member since Sat 26 Apr 08

My homebrew mrgreen

Likes (0)

#55 Sat 26 Apr 08 3:40pm

Torilla

Forum champ
Occupation Student , Hobby Chef
From Bavaria, South Germany
Member since Sat 30 Jun 07

Woo oh, I tried to brew beer once at home... total disaster...

The yeast always set down instead of keeping mixed and always when I opened a bottle it did not only taste awfully but I always had a little volcano smile

Likes (0)

#56 Sat 26 Apr 08 3:43pm

minerva

Forum champ
Occupation Walking the Old Ways
From Living in the Wild Woods
Member since Wed 16 Jan 08

..yep, know where yer comin' from there, mate.........I'm always a little volcano after a few yeasty beers!!!! whistle

......& stevey boy, I would only ever qualify as "Daftest drunk at room temperature"! oops

Last edited by minerva (Sat 26 Apr 08 3:44pm)

Likes (0)

#57 Sat 26 Apr 08 3:46pm

Captain C

Forum champ
Occupation Sales
From Essex
Member since Tue 05 Feb 08

beer is being emptied out to make way for the vodka filled watermelon  yummy

Likes (0)

#58 Mon 28 Apr 08 7:28pm

DominicNoBe

Member since Wed 02 Jan 08

A stout homebrew
A Double IPA homebrew
Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA
Guinness
Sierra Nevada
Stella

Likes (0)

#59 Mon 28 Apr 08 9:11pm

Eilen

Forum champ
From Oregon
Member since Fri 23 Sep 05

I tried a bottle of St. Bernardus beer on Saturday.  Got it at a pork store where they have open stock of a bunch of beer, you mix and match what you like or just buy one bottle at a time.  What a beer!  I'm so used to American brews and not that they're bad, they just don't have the depth or complexity of Belgian/German/European beers.  Slightly floral, full-bodied with delicate bubbles, I sound like a dork, don't I?  Definitely a once-in-a-while treat though, as one bottle costs three times as much as American beers.

Likes (0)

#60 Mon 28 Apr 08 9:11pm

AskCy

Occupation Engineer
From Lancashire
Member since Tue 11 Mar 08

My mate told me a story of how he and his mates once made homebrew!

(disclaimer - I cannot vouch for the stories truth as I wasn't there and don't know anyone else who was)

(Safety warning - I also must point out this post is for entertainment value only and must not be copied as it could prove to be dangerous and or life threatening)

One day he and his mates (in late teenage) were talking a walk and ended up on the canal bank (for those not in the UK, a canal is a large trough of watery sludge where we store old bikes, shopping trolleys and stolen cars) where they spotted a big plastic tub (to the trained eye it was a fermenting bin and this is where I think the story starts sounding unrealistic but it might have happened) They got the bucket and finding it empty (now I did ask about it being clean and he elaborated about going home and cleaning it with boiling water etc but I think if this story is true that bit was probably made up) They then went along the canal bank picking all the blackberrys and anything else that looked like fruit !
It was then added to with sugar, water and I'd guess some sort of brewers yeast but I could be wrong! Sealed up and put at the back of the airing cupboard wrapped up in a blanket.
Weeks passed, months... and interest in it went elsewhere until it was completely forgotten about !
A year or so later they were having a big party at the house, drinks were flowing and everyone was merry.... one thing led to another, more booze, drinking competitions etc etc... and then someone asked the question "whatever happened to that wine stuff?"....
Well you can imagine the excitement as they went to see if it was still there and a parent hadn't removed it from amongst there washing !....
It was there, it was still sealed up and was proudly brought into the room for its grand opening.....
It has a kind of mouldy fur growing quite thickly on top !.... not to be put off though, they scrapped it away and found something fairly clear and wine looking (all be it stuffed with berries !)... some was scooped out and then it became who was going to test it....
one of the braver (more drunk?) stepped forward and proceeded to drink almost a pint of it in one go !...as he leaned backwards to get the last drops out, he keeled over and there he stayed until he was carried home to his parents ! This is where he then spent almost 24hours asleep and another few days very ill !

(as I said I can't vouch for any of it... but it did make me laugh..)

Steve

Likes (0)