Subscribe to forums RSS

#21 Fri 20 Jun 08 2:56pm

frizz1974

Forum super champ
Occupation Mother of 2 working more than full time
From Wallerawang, Oz
Member since Wed 29 Jun 05

Re: Vegetable leftovers

I did this yesterday. I have always made my own stock, but I never thought to stockpile veg bits in the freezer, except celery as we dont eat much of it, so when i buy it I cut up most of it straight away & freeze it,

I have been saving the onion tops, carrot peels & celery bits & peices. Plus the bones from roast chicken.

I put a good size bag of veg bits & 4 carcusses in a 10 litre pot with salt, pepper, garlic & bay leaves. Simmered it down to 4 litres.

I froze 2 litres in an old icecream container, and the rest in 250ml plastic cups that are leftover from a kids birthday party. This makes getting the right amount for a recipe very easy.

Likes (0)

#22 Sat 21 Jun 08 2:33pm

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany
Member since Mon 13 Mar 06

Sereh, I have the same problem living in a city flat myself.

Am actually simmering some right now....

Likes (0)

#23 Mon 23 Jun 08 1:04pm

elhousemartin

Occupation Design, Interiors
From Warfield, Berks
Member since Fri 07 Sep 07

Holy cow! How did I never think about that? And here I was yesterday thinking that my compost bin is having a hard time keeping up with all my veggie scraps! I am definitely going to start keeping all my peelings to go in with my weekly chicky bones for stock. Thanks for the great idea!
We are growing a lot of our own veg this year and it's nice to be able to use the trimmings all up, even if it is to compost next year's crops....

Likes (0)

#24 Mon 30 Jun 08 10:35am

barbara1125

Member since Mon 30 Jun 08

That's what I do too. You can also make a fabulous aspergus soup of the woody parts of it - that's why I often put them into the freezer and make a nice soup later on.

Likes (0)

#25 Mon 14 Jul 08 4:05pm

SueJohnson

From Lancashire
Member since Mon 14 Jul 08

mummza wrote:

I do not use potato peelings either as I find that they do not enhance the flavour.

I don't use potato peelings because I never peel potatoes!  I always cook them with the skins on.

Likes (0)

#26 Wed 30 Jul 08 10:09am

Pink Penguin

Member since Tue 29 Jul 08

Hi guys
thanks for teh great idea smile
Any tips on ratio of water to veggie peelings?

many thanks PP  big_smile

Likes (0)

#27 Wed 30 Jul 08 7:47pm

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany

For leftover vegetables I use enough water to comfortably cover - about equal amounts of veggies and water. But it does not matter exactly.

Likes (0)

#28 Wed 30 Jul 08 7:57pm

TheBeast2

Forum champ
Member since Fri 31 Aug 07

Pink Penguin wrote:

Hi guys
thanks for teh great idea smile
Any tips on ratio of water to veggie peelings?

many thanks PP  big_smile

1 or 2 parts water to 1 part veg

Easiest way to do this is weigh the veg and then weigh the water

Likes (0)

#29 Wed 30 Jul 08 8:01pm

TheBeast2

Forum champ
Member since Fri 31 Aug 07

SusanneH wrote:

To get the last out of my veggies I keep an empty 3 liter freezer bag in my freezer. All vegetable leftovers go in there:

the woody bits of kohlrabi, asparagus etc.
the stalks of cabbages, broccoli etc
the dark part of leeks, if very tough or not used in a recipe
the peels of veggies that don't need to be peeled, but often are for texture or looks: carrots, zucchini, asparagus etc.
the seedy, watery bits of tomatoes, zucchini etc if not used
any veggies that got forgotten or not used up (we are a small household with irregular schedules - so every now and then that happens), when they start to lose their crunch (or so that they don't).
the "end" of veggies that I could not safely hold when grating
you get the idea.
I chop them very coarsly and chuck them in that freezer bag.

When the freezer bag is full I cook vegetable stock:

I slowly fry a coarsly chopped onion (brown skins included, but washed) in a glug  of olive oil until just before it takes color. Than I add the vegetables from the freezer bag and cover with water. Bring that to a simmer and simmer for about 45 minutes.
Discard the vegetables.

I freeze the stock in half liter portions. I do not salt it until I want to use it, to adjust saltiness to what I want to do with it.

The brocolli is an unnecessary addition. Since its flavour molecules are soluble in fat (rather than water), it would be better to seperate the brocolli from the other veg and make an oil from it.

This oil can then be used to finish the dishes that use your stock as a base.

Likes (0)

#30 Wed 30 Jul 08 9:35pm

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany

TheBeast, I add what I have - everything. As I also add a little olive oil for browning the onions first, fat soluble stuff should go into the stock too. It's a wild assortment of flavors really, but has worked nicely every time so far - except when I had bits of red cabbage and beet root in it and wanted to make (white) risotto. Still tasted very good, but the color was awful. oops

Likes (0)